Author Topic: Harbor Freight Horns and install...  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
Harbor Freight Horns and install...
« on: December 22, 2018, 07:45:18 AM »
I installed these in less than 30 minutes and the kit includes the relay for only 9 bucks.
The pictures explain the installation, no modifications were done except for a small hole to mount the relay and they are completely hidden. I will replace the relay mount bolt with a shorter 5mm bolt. (Yeah, it's too long)
Wiring is straight forward with a 10 amp fuse and inline holder near the battery. That plastic looking stand off is a piece of delrin.
I have used these horns on other bikes without any failures and they are louder than the horns on a gold Wing.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-12-volt-electric-horn-set-99911.html

Video of the sound;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEAiE_erYdI

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
Re: Harbor Freight Horns and install...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »
I can only assume that because there are no comments that everyone is satisfied with the oem squeaker that came on the bike? ;D

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
I can only assume that because there are no comments that everyone is satisfied with the oem squeaker that came on the bike? ;D

oh no, on the contrary every one hates the OEM's, and thank you for posting your find and install..

Seems like there has been a sharp decline in the normal traffic here lately, so don't take that as a barometer...

I really like what you did, and you can't go wrong for $10, even if they don't last, which I can't see any reason they wouldn't, mounted inside.

I actually bought a Wolo Bad Boy clone from H/F, for 3 x what you spent (still it was cheaper by far than anyplace else), and have it sitting on my bench to install.

good job, thank you.. I may even copy your setup, just for the economy and ease, along with the mounting space. And I'd probably use the relay it came with, just because.. well, it came with it... I might waterproof it a bit tho. (the air horn takes a bit more thought on location)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
oh no, on the contrary every one hates the OEM's, and thank you for posting your find and install..
Thanks; I guess there many more c14 riders on the other forum and I was once a member there (and here) but all of a sudden my log-in no longer worked and it looked like it was going to be a real pain to get back in so I did not...

I have had such good luck with these horns that I continue to use them and I have about a dozen of these relays just in case but have never lost one yet.
These horns are really loud, before with ear plugs I could not even hear the stock horn at hwy speeds. I can't hear the engine at those speeds either and have to rely on the tach to shift if passing. (stock exhaust)

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
Been busy with Christmas.  I did watch/listen to your video.  Sounds much better than stock.  I might pick these up.  Nice job!
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 07:13:29 PM »
Thanks, It's much louder than the video depicts, the camera's AGC grabs the volume level and reduces it so you can't really tell how loud it is but the tone is accurate... People don't ignore these horns I can attest to that...

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 07:41:09 AM »
That's a nice simple/clean installation. and frugal!!  :thumbs:
Well done

Not sure why I haven't seen your discussion before.
I routinely open mine with "Unread Posts since Last visit", and never saw it.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 07:59:54 AM »
I like the price and might check these out. But curious was there room to install in place of the old horns? I installed a fuse block in the same location so my horn installation will have to go where the stocks are at.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »
I like the price and might check these out. But curious was there room to install in place of the old horns? I installed a fuse block in the same location so my horn installation will have to go where the stocks are at.

No, I don't believe so, the front fender is pretty close and may hit the horns on large bumps?
Plus these types of horns should be mounted with the flimsy thin straps that comes with the kit, the straps are part of the magic...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 05:37:57 PM »

Are you kidding?  I installed an AIR HORN right after I got the bike.  I doubt anything can match THAT loudness :)  (except having several.... and finding a place to mount even one is a challenge).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 05:40:25 PM »
No, I don't believe so, the front fender is pretty close and may hit the horns on large bumps?

Probably.  I have seen people somehow mount the Nautilus air horn up front.... I can't believe it wouldn't be hit or hit something.  And the idea of putting something that large and heavy in front of a very expensive, important, and relatively fragile aluminum radiator doesn't sound (pun intended) like a great idea.

Plus these types of horns should be mounted with the flimsy thin straps that comes with the kit, the straps are part of the magic...

LOL!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 06:11:11 PM »
Are you kidding?  I installed an AIR HORN right after I got the bike.  I doubt anything can match THAT loudness :)  (except having several.... and finding a place to mount even one is a challenge).
It was a rhetorical statement...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
It was a rhetorical statement...

Just call me Mr. Literal...
There ARE worse things to call me...

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYAmYUuysU
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline shredran

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »
Gabriel, I bought a pair of these today per your video! After purchasing though I realized I might not be able to put mine where yours are :(, because I installed LED Pathfinder headlights, which have a module that gets 3m tape'd to the BOTTOM of the piece you removed to to the install of the horns. Can you watch this quick video and see what I mean, then tell me if U think I'll still have room to put the horns there? Skip to 4:20 and see what I mean--the module for headlights get stuck to underside of towel flange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YeEU0PyCtc  and let me know your thoughts! Seems like an amazing mod.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 10:56:03 PM »
Gabriel, I bought a pair of these today per your video! After purchasing though I realized I might not be able to put mine where yours are :(, because I installed LED Pathfinder headlights, which have a module that gets 3m tape'd to the BOTTOM of the piece you removed to to the install of the horns. Can you watch this quick video and see what I mean, then tell me if U think I'll still have room to put the horns there? Skip to 4:20 and see what I mean--the module for headlights get stuck to underside of towel flange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YeEU0PyCtc  and let me know your thoughts! Seems like an amazing mod.

It hard to tell exactly how large that driver is but I would think you would have enough room to to make it all fit.
Since you are not modifying the bike in any way there is no risk in trying...
Note; There are led's that don't use a driver and allow you to use the factory boot should you ever need to change.

Offline shredran

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »
That's good info to have! Wish I had it at time I bought these LEDS lol! I happened to be across the street from a harbor freight yesterday when I saw your post and quickly went and bought the horns. Cpl follow ups:

1.) Do they work in conjunction with the stock horn? Or do they completely replace the stocker?

2.) "I will replace the relay mount bolt with a shorter 5mm bolt. (Yeah, it's too long)"----Any idea what length I should get?

3.) I'm not as knowledgeable as you are in this but, but I'm guessing your comment of, "Wiring is straight forward with a 10 amp fuse and inline holder near the battery. That plastic looking stand off is a piece of delrin." means I'll need one of these: https://www.alliedelec.com/product/bussmann-by-eaton/bk-hht/70150687/?&mkwid=s44jGetPk&pcrid=30980760979&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAiAs8XiBRAGEiwAFyQ-esCIxVyBI5v5bSoSIpXQJaQexBHew-_a5kMQrBk8wqDOKYCSTwh2GRoCVxEQAvD_BwE     AND will obviously need the fuse which I have already. If that's correct, where exactly does the horn relay area / fuse area need to be accessed from? Is it the fusebox underneath the seat? I just haven't tapped into anything there--the only mods I've done involved using the provided accessory ports on the bike and that was easy enough to crimp and splice into for other accessories.

Thanks in advance for any additional insight you can offer me!

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 04:58:09 PM »
Use this type of fuse holder;It's waterproof and you can get these in both the small spade fuse or the large. (your choice)

You use the wire from the oem horn, it's long enough to reach the area shown.
The wiring diagram that is included with the horns is what you go by.
The oem horn wires trigger the relay only. (get a test light and determin which is positive when you push the horn button.
You connect the fuse to your battery positive post (one side of the fuse holder connects to the positive battery terminal and the other connects to a length of of minimum 16 gauge wire) the other end connects to the "30" terminal of the relay. Just pull the battery cover off and fish the wire through, no need to remove anything else. (keep it neat and use tie wraps if needed) Just make sure the fuse is located close to the battery and not the horn end.
Supply the ground from the relay to the location shown in my picture "Right here" or any bolt on that bracket.
I don't know what length of bolt to use but it's not important as long as it's adequate.
These relays are not waterproof so mount it in the fashion which I did and you will never have an issue.
Any other questions just ask, no need to include any quotes...

Offline shredran

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 11:46:33 PM »
Thanks so much Gabriel, I’ll take a stab at this ASAP! I should be fine considering I’ve done the valves on this bike and didn’t F anything up....just dont have a ton of experience in the realm of electrical work! I’m REALLY dreading doing steering stem bearing maintenance one day tho. I’m on an 09’ w/ ABS and about 30k miles.