Author Topic: Walked away from a high side!  (Read 3966 times)

Offline wanderer

Walked away from a high side!
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:55:20 PM »
Popped over a small hill and the road went 85 degrees both left and right, essentially a tee intersection, don't recall any warning signs.  Got on the brakes and ended up in a high side. Sent me on my back and slid in to the grass with the bike on it's right side sliding with me.  That's the best I can describe it.   I have the tip over bars from the previous owner and they took most of the beating, but the middle fairing is busted up from the bar being bent all the way in, took the air wing with it.  Both front and back foot peg snapped at the mounting points.  The luggage bracket busted where the latch hooks on.  The upper fairing broke in one spot near the turn signal and the windscreen cracked on the left side at the second screw from the top.  The back tip over bar kept the exhaust safe somehow.  The luggage is intact, but scratched up and some chips in the reflector.   I didn't think it was gonna get pricey with so few parts, but man it doesn't take long.   They are insane what they want for the bags, will have to look in to aftermarket. Gonna add up the damage and see where I stand.  Either way, hate to say it, but I'm giving up riding.   Already put my 2006 KLR up for sale on Craigslist, the Concours will follow soon as I decide with or without being fixed.  It's a 2004 with only 22,000 miles and would make a great bike for someone.  Brake pads and tires are essentially new, not that those are terribly expensive.  Engine didn't receive any damage either.  Mostly simple parts that need replaced.   I rode it home 100 miles, the rear tip over bar served as my foot rest.   I really hate to give up riding, but sometimes you have to know when your done.
Bike located in Evansville, Indiana

YoDoc

Re: Walked away from a high side!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »
I'm glad you are OK. I put a Harley Sportster into the HOV lane wall on I-30 in Dallas, TX last year. Tore a half pound out of my left thigh. 2700 bucks to fix the bike, and close to 15 grand to fix me. Me? I'm not done. I sold the Harley, thinking I was done, but I bought this Connie not four months after I sold the Hog.

Like I said, I'm glad you're OK, and yes, sometimes you just have to know when to fold 'em...

Bob

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:36:42 AM »
High sides are nasty. I can tell you first hand. So I don't look down on anyone who decides not to ride anymore after going through one. You have to do what you feel is right. You were very lucky this time. I wish you well and don't feel like you have to be a stranger!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
A speedy recovery to ya brutha, glad you're ok.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »
Wow, sorry to hear that.  I hope you rethink the stop riding thing.....

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:17:02 AM »
Do what you feel you gotta do... glad you're OK after something like that.  Nobody can understand or feel how YOU felt when that happend to YOU... so nobody should pass any judgement on your decision.  ;)

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline zgirl

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:15:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about the high side.  If I had not been able to ride my bike home after my accident (BTW, much less trauma than you experienced), I don't know if I would be riding now because it really shakes you up.

I wish for your injuries to heal quickly and completely. 
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither of them works.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177

Offline booger

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »
I hope you heal quickly.

Don't blame you at all about hanging it up.  Sometimes a man knows when to quit.

Offline vman

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
a crash always gives us a reality check on what the physics are and whats at stake in our pursuit.    Let yourself heal up and decompress from the event and then evaluate where you,re at!   Good luck!

Offline slickcdb2000

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »
Glad you made it out ok!!!!  Good luck

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »
Glad you are okay, I know how you feel about giving up riding, after I dropped my first bike in front of my house in some serious gravel I thought I was done, after a few weeks the bug to ride was back.  I have never high sided and I hope I never do, I know it can be a very scary thing.  Good luck again glad you made it through.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline wanderer

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »
Thanks everybody!

Actually, the crash didn't even shake me up which is what I consider a problem.  I was more pissed then anything, all I could think is "Never fucking fails, always something".   I'm too comfortable riding and don't have the right attitude anymore, motorcycles need to be taken more serious.   Just realized I didn't mention not wearing my helmet at the time.  It was rare that I was even wearing my riding jacket.  I always tell people, you won't get a lecture from me about what you wear when riding, it's a free world and I still stand by that even after this wreck.  I knew the risks and so does everyone else who rides.  Even so, you still consider what could have went down...  split open skull, mouth full or empty of busted teeth, major road rash.... we all know the coulda's!   Especially after my wreck many years ago on a cruiser when I did have my helmet on, but not other riding gear and walked away from it also.  I'm no longer willing to accept the risks and riding full atgatt doesn't appeal to me, might as well be in a cager, to each their own.   I originally planned to stop riding after the cruiser incident, but that only lasted 3 years so who knows.
Bike located in Evansville, Indiana

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 09:28:30 AM »
Glad to hear that you are OK.

Joel from Maine.