Author Topic: Another Star Trek movie coming out  (Read 6123 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Another Star Trek movie coming out
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
Yeah because movies nowadays are so true to Physics. I mean really, its fiction, its getting away from life. To judge a movie on how accurate it is, that's crazy. May as well stick to documentaries.

You mean that there's no holosex on the holodeck?  :o

Now you tell me...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 02:13:29 PM »

Abrams turned his back on many of the engineering/technology aspects that made Star Trek accessible to tech types, in favor of the gee whiz/plot device laziness that we see in a lot of sci fi today.  Star Trek boldly crossed from Sci Fi to Sci Fantasy in one script.

Yeah because crawling through the Jeffries tubes to modify the deflector dish to emit a tachyon pulse to stop a kreger wave is just so technically accurate.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »
Don't even get me started on the health risks involved from being submerged in radioactive coolant...
Maybe someone will develop super powers!
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »
Yeah because crawling through the Jeffries tubes to modify the deflector dish to emit a tachyon pulse to stop a kreger wave is just so technically accurate.

:rotflmao:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »
Don't even get me started on the health risks involved from being submerged in radioactive coolant...

I have to admit that the Scotty in the coolant tube scene was pretty dumb.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »

Heck, who among us hasn't done that?  it's no big deal, as long as you pay attention to the barion particle emission threshold and keep your phase-generator in synch with the Tri-corder's plasma sensor, so the Heisenberg buffer doesn't overflow. 

Piece of pie, as Data would say.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »
Doesn't that stop hydrolock? :o

(I liked the last one, too.)
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »
Doesn't that stop hydrolock? :o

(I liked the last one, too.)

No, the only known cure for hydrolock in this galaxy is to install graviton drain tubes in the warp nacelles.  Steve In Sunny Florida has the engineering worked out, he can kick Scotty's ass any day.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
Man, get a grip. It is called SCI-FI for a reason, it is FICTION. In other words it ain't real. I go to movies for the escapism and joy of watching it, not to critique how real it is. I will even go see the Jack Reacher movie with the smallish Tom Cruise playing the part of a 6'5" tall 250 lb man. Why? Not because it is true to the novels but for the action.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 11:58:43 PM »
My point is that Star Trek at least used to try to ground itself in science a bit.  Hence Science Fiction (Fiction based on Science).  The last movie forgot it's roots in that respect.

Previous designs of the Enterprise have some design basis.  This is why in the first 6 Star Trek movies (not counting 4, they had the bird of prey in that one) you see the matter intermix chamber, which has a vertical component as well as the horizontal component (vertical terminates in the dome above the impulse engine, horizontal travels backwards to the engine struts, where it then splits upwards to the warp engine nacelles).  This convention continued even through the Enterprise series (note that the NX 01 didn't have the neck, but note the section in the back which is removed from the main saucer).

And Jeffries tubes were named after the guy who designed the original Enterprise model, back in the '60s.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/jefferies.htm.

Incidentally, full deck plans and other literature are available for various Enterprise designs, again adding to the mystique of the setting.  Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual was one of the first in this veign.

This is part of the mystique that science types loved to see in the show.  Sure, we have no way of knowing what a warp driven starship should look like, but nonetheless tech minded modeling types tried to portray that as best they could.  On a related note, this is one reason Star Trek: The Next Generation is credited often for inspiring the IPad, but I digress.

This is also one reason why Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan is so compelling to watch; that is because they utilized the lore/ship designs to reinforce plot points.  Star Trek II and Star Wars both made space battles hella cool things to watch.  But with Star Trek, you could 'peek under the hood' and be fascinated by what you saw.

I'll say again, Abrams chose to turn his back on this tradition, in favor of just making plot points, and liberally borrowing from the genre as it suited him.  This is lazy directing, and probably one reason I never got into Lost either. 

So again, have fun at the next Star Trek movie guys.  I get that many of you liked the last one, just understand that not all of us enjoyed what Abrams did to the franchise.

And yes, I hated Episode III of Star Wars as well.  Mostly for bad/lazy writing (see Abrams, above).  After the first few dozen or so sci fi movies, your expectations tend to be higher, but then this is true of any genre.  How many people have you heard lamenting about how they don't make good movies anymore?  Sure, there are some gems out there, but remakes and recycling of old stories gets old after a while...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 09:40:36 AM »
Since the horizontal tubes made everything else totally plausible. Once they removed those, all bets were off.

I understand being upset over the removal of a tradition, but to say it made the science of the movie unwatchable?

An no, even after a few dozen dozen sci fi movies, my expectations are not higher. They are fiction, and they blow things up.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »
I like when things blow up.   :o ;D
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 04:33:51 PM »
Rob

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »
I'm just worried when I learn who this bad guy is, I'm not enough of a Trekie to know who he is.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline sherob

• Arena
Rob

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »
Looks to me like this John Harrison is a new character, not a known Star Trek Villian from the TV series.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »
That's the first movie.