Author Topic: Nitrogen  (Read 10916 times)

Offline booger

Nitrogen
« on: July 04, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »
My work schedule has allowed riding time every week or so.  And my tire pressure would drop 1-3 psi between each time.

Went and had the tires purged and filled with N2 this AM.

I have dropped .5 seconds in the quarter mile, gained 15 mph on top end.  The bike runs 20 degrees cooler and a heck of a lot smoother.

The nitrogen has made me a 2" taller, 15 lbs lighter and 10 years younger. 8)

I suggest you go get your tires fillled with N2.

What do you think?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Nitrogen
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 11:05:47 AM »
What do you think?

I think you've been breathing too much Nitrogen.  :o

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:07:17 AM »
N20 works even better. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:19:53 PM »
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Gsun

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »
Air is already 78% nitrogen. Not a big difference.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:24:09 PM »
I wonder if helium would work?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:25:18 PM »
Wow, I had a flashback to Brian (BDF) in reading that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »
I've been using a Husky N78.09 Generator for years... works great... best thing I ever bought.  :hail:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »
I purchased a G35 Infiniti new in 2008. Instead of taking it to the dealer and paying ridiculous maintenance fees, I took to the Qwik Lube near my house. At the first service interval, I was told that there would be an additional $5 fee to charge the tires with Nitrogen, which was a surprise as I had not ever heard of using Nitrogen in tires. I told them forget that, and fill them with air. The kid told me he would not do that because they might explode - really!

Needless to say, I filled them with air the entire time I had the car - and still have all of my digits, and my eyebrows.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »
Let's see if this sounds like BDF-

Helium would work as the gas in motorcycle tires.... but not very well. It would actually work fine to pressurize the tires but it would leak out far more rapidly than air or nitrogen does and would make maintaining a tire's pressure a real chore. Helium is typically used to test the seals on things like brake components because it is so thin and leaks so much more readily than heavier gasses. Besides all of that, helium would make your tires sound funny, all high- pitched and whiny. A better gas would be argon, which is heavier and denser than most other gasses including both 'air' and nitrogen. The downside to argon is that if it leaks into any vessel sealed on the bottom and sides, it will collect and can (and has) caused asphyxiation for any mammals inside the vessel; it has been a problem with those T.I.G. welding in seagoing vessels when the hose feeding the T.I.G. torch gets cut and a chamber of said vessel fills with argon. There is no sensation of asphyxiation either because it is an abundance of CO2 that causes our reaction (rapid breathing, general feeling of panic) to impending asphyxiation, not the lack of oxygen itself. In an environment saturated with argon one simply goes to sleep.... with disastrous results.

And speaking of helium, did you ever wonder why the Germans used Hydrogen in the Hindenburg (and all their Zeppelins) when helium is non- flammable and nearly as light? The reason is because the US has a monopoly on helium and would not sell it to Germany at that time. Strangely enough, one drills into the ground to get helium as opposed to hydrogen which is readily available from water. And for those wondering, argon is obtained from the atmosphere: air is cooled and compressed until it liquefies and then the various components it is comprised of are boiled off, one at a time. Exactly the way distillation works.

Brian (really)

I wonder if helium would work?

Wow, I had a flashback to Brian (BDF) in reading that.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 04:06:47 PM »
I'm 6' 2", I don't want to be taller.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline mbrew

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
I've been using 78% pure nitrogen with very good results.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 04:26:07 AM »
Brian (really)

Thank you.  All is right with the world again.

Offline booger

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 10:23:15 PM »
I'm 6' 2", I don't want to be taller.

It makes taller people shorter, if you want. ;)