Author Topic: My TPMS cheapness...no, thriftiness. Frugality, even.  (Read 852 times)

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
My TPMS cheapness...no, thriftiness. Frugality, even.
« on: June 14, 2019, 12:41:31 PM »
So it was time for some new skins (Pirelli Angel GT "A Spec"; switched to a 190/55 in the rear) and I was tired of seeing the low battery warning so I:
1. Took the front to the dealer to dismount the tire and give me the sensor.
2. Took it to Batteries Plus Bulbs in Rochester, NY and had a new battery soldered in.
3. Took it back to the dealer and had it mounted with the new tire.

The cost was just under $18 for the battery and install, half a tank of gas running around, and a full day (9am to 5:30pm) sacrificed. Oh, and my trusty 30 year-old Snap-On torque wrench expired and needed replacing at a cost of just under $400, but I guess that doesn't count. They had a tabbed replacement (battery) in stock, and so far so good; the warning is gone. I had the same place do the rear sensor about 3 years ago. They're a chain, and I understand there are others that are similar. Oh, and does anybody else think tires go slightly "off" when stored in a cold garage all Winter?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Batteries+Plus+Bulbs/@43.0888817,-77.6093335,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89d14b1d4383f8a5:0x99f8fadde2f1e3e3!8m2!3d43.0888817!4d-77.6071448?hl=en&authuser=0

Ain't she purdy:

https://store.snapon.com/US-Torque-Instruments-ft-lb--3-8-Drive-SAE-Adjustable-Click-Type-Fixed-Ratchet-Torque-Wrench-20-100-ft-lb--P818727.aspx
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: My TPMS cheapness...no, thriftiness. Frugality, even.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 03:21:49 PM »
Good job!  For those future readers of this thread- just remember that this will only work with the "older" sensors.  The newer sensors (2014 and up, and any warranty replacements since then) are potted, so replacement of the batteries is nearly impossible.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: My TPMS cheapness...no, thriftiness. Frugality, even.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 06:19:17 PM »
good job... and a deal at twice the price even...
I have a local place called Bulldog Battery, they do this same kind of service, I stopped in a year ago and showed them pictures of the "procedure", and the battery number, they looked, and had them in stock... in quantity... they quoted me $28 + tax, to do both... ($4 each for the batts   outrageously inflated price... but ya can't get them shipped cheap anymore as they can't go on planes..., and $20 total, for the solder job; Mind you I had to "open the cases" to save them the liability).... for that cost, I'll have them do the job..5 miles from my house, I do my own tires.... no brainer.   :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :cool:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..