Author Topic: Top Block or Canyon Cages???  (Read 9979 times)

Offline seagiant

Top Block or Canyon Cages???
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
Hi,
     Looking at fairing protection and I'm being pulled in two directions! The old canyon cages I would not even consider but the new style is not really that bad! For the front and back price should be about $460. That will protect everything.

With the Top Block option the front is $550 from Murphs then you need sliders front and back? That would get you close to $700 I would think? I admit I like the Top Block as it has more "class" and is less obtrusive,but money is a factor? >:(

Offline viper

Re: Top Block or Canyon Cages???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 09:35:10 AM »
have you looked into the rg adventure bars here in ukland

Offline seagiant

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »
Hi,
     Yes! Twisted Throttle has them and they do take Paypal which I need to use, but I dont like them as much as the Canyon Cages! Thanks anyway!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
  With the Top Block option the front is $550 from Murphs then you need sliders front and back? That would get you close to $700 I would think? I admit I like the Top Block as it has more "class" and is less obtrusive,but money is a factor? >:(

$150 isn't really that big of a difference, especially for something you hopefully only have to buy once... Get the setup you like/want the most, it's not worth compromising for only a $150 difference IMO.  :-\

Right know I'm rockin the TB fronts and MCE rears, best of both worlds for protection and looks IMO.  :)

Offline seagiant

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »
Hi ZG,
           Nice lookin scooter!!! Yea that looks really nice! You can barely notice that set up front or back and you are well protected! It would also probably be a little cheaper than running the front and back sliders with the TB! Thanks for the nice pics,I like the bike better with the bags!!! ;D

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 12:11:53 PM »
Ya Jay is all about posting pics.....LOL  8) ;D
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
ZG had the front and rear TB set up but removed the rear TB's to allow the Pit Bull stands to work.

Hey ZG.... another pic opportunity!
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline JJFLASH

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 02:37:43 PM »
Hi,
     Looking at fairing protection and I'm being pulled in two directions! The old canyon cages I would not even consider but the new style is not really that bad! For the front and back price should be about $460. That will protect everything.

I looked at both and went with the Canyon Cages.  The installation was  easy without cutting the fairing and look pretty good.  The C14 is silver and frankly, I don't notice them anymore.  The other reason I went with the Canyon Cages is the look like they provide more protection than the Top Block.  On the frame sliders..there is a thread around here showing that frame sliders on the rear will interfere with the stock exhaust.  There is not enough clearance and when the suspension compresses the frame slider can hit the stock exhaust and brake the end cap.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »
Hi,

There are plenty of threads about this already (hint hint).  I think most people seem to agree that you can achieve similar protection from the TB as the MCE Canyons IF you add the MCE rears to the TB.  TB is a more attractive option (certainly for Gen 1, less so for Gen2), but also more invasive (drilling) and more expensive.  I tend to think the MCE rear AND FRONT offer more protection due to at least some roll-over protection, but we have little data to support that, only intuition.  For simple no or low speed fall-over, they are probably about the same for front protection.  The TB rear sliders are not in the same league as the rear MCE at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline seagiant

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
Hi Max,
             Well,I looked around the net but didn't really see where someone was using both of these at the same time! I also didn't see any nice photo's like ZG was nice enough to post, sooooo...maybe this thread has some usefulness anyway! I also appreciate everyone's information and opinion!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 04:55:29 PM »
I also didn't see any nice photo's like ZG was nice enough to post,

Don't say such things!!  ZG's head will explode... he loves posting photos :)

Remember, his is a Gen 1 Concours 14, not a Gen 2.  The Gen 1 Top Blocks are MUCH nicer looking.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
Don't say such things!!  ZG's head will explode... he loves posting photos :)

Remember, his is a Gen 1 Concours 14, not a Gen 2.  The Gen 1 Top Blocks are MUCH nicer looking.

^ That. If I had the Gen 1, I would have likely ended up with the same config as ZG. The TBs just look a little off with the Gen 2 fairings.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »
....and the cages look a little off on the gen 1.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
ZG had the front and rear TB set up but removed the rear TB's to allow the Pit Bull stands to work.

Hey ZG.... another pic opportunity!

;D :thumbs:

True MV, the rear TB swing arm sliders are too long to work with the Pit Bull stand, I had to go with shorter swing arm sliders and add the MCE rear bars...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
....and the cages look a little off on the gen 1.

Also true

Offline seagiant

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 07:10:03 PM »
Hi,
     I have to admit the front canyon cage for my 2012 is growing on me. It is a LOT better than the old ones that I saw that looked like a bath shower grab bar! I guess some of you guys had something to do with that!

How bad are the CC to install front and back?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »
I did the front and no issues that I recall.  I put her on the center stand and braced the motor with blocks against the headers just to make sure nothing slipped out of line.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 05:34:16 AM »
I have to admit the front canyon cage for my 2012 is growing on me. It is a LOT better than the old ones that I saw that looked like a bath shower grab bar!

I also think of those as elephant ears :)

I guess some of you guys had something to do with that!

Yep.  It was a fascinating process of design work with MCE through this forum.

The rears are super easy.  The fronts are a lot more work.  Covered quite well in other threads.

Offline clogan

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 05:44:18 AM »
Hi,
     [snip]

I installed mine, by myself, front and back, in about 20 minutes. And that includes having to do the fasteners twice because I forgot threadlocker the first time. Echo remark above about using center stand to preserve orientation.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 07:19:14 AM »
I did the canyon cages because I wanted a place to mount LED running lights because I ride in the dark a lot.  I wanted the LED running lights low and wide to make me appear closer to oncoming cars that might want to turn left in front of me.

I went with chrome because it looks good with a black bike and powder coated black bars are for adventure and dual sport bikes which my concours is neither.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077