Author Topic: "4 Season" Jackets  (Read 14923 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: "4 Season" Jackets
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 05:52:24 AM »
The Flex line is my idea of the perfect riding suit.

It is pretty close to perfect.  What it lacks is the lining being heated and also a neck liner, like my Top Gear used to have.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 08:26:56 AM »
I wore mine today coming from Southside VA up to Norther VA in the rain..   Wasn't zipped in over the mesh jacket.   Didn't get any upper body wetness.  The pants on the other hand let some dampness through.   I have to get some new heated gloves, though.  They aren't waterproof and while not getting 'wet', it made me a bit nervous.  They're old like me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

elp_jc

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 11:08:19 PM »
Well, time to pull the trigger on a silver Flex 3 jacket since they're now $120 shipped, before my size runs out. But my question to folks who currently own one is what kind of pants you went with. I see the Flex ones come only in black, and common sense tells me they'd be hot as hell here in hot TX. Silver ones would have been better, and found the Tourmaster Venture air pants, which come in silver, but are not available anymore (only medium-short). Plus reviews weren't very good, since the rain liner went on the inside, not the outside, like the flex pants. My choices are keep riding with 'armored' jeans, or get the flex black pants. But are they going to be unbearable in the heat in black? Don't want to buy something just to leave it in the closet because it's too darn hot. Thank you folks. And if somebody has comments on sizing, bring them on. I find disturbing I need an XS jacket (38" chest) and M pants (32" waist, 31" inseam), but apparently almost everybody else is 2 sizes larger on the pants. Weird sizing.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 11:29:49 AM »

I'm riding with the Flex Black pants and the silver Flex 3 jacket. The pants aren't really hot because they are almost like fully perforated pants with the panels out and are really cool. In fact when I buy a new jacket this spring(mines had many hard miles of riding) I will buy a black jacket rather than the silver because I seem to have a talent for getting the silver dirty.  I'm just waiting to see what they replace the Flex 3 jacket with before buying since the jacket is now listed as discontinued.

Fork

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
I'm riding with the Flex Black pants and the silver Flex 3 jacket. The pants aren't really hot because they are almost like fully perforated pants with the panels out and are really cool. In fact when I buy a new jacket this spring(mines had many hard miles of riding) I will buy a black jacket rather than the silver because I seem to have a talent for getting the silver dirty.  I'm just waiting to see what they replace the Flex 3 jacket with before buying since the jacket is now listed as discontinued.

Fork

Hey guys, I too have the black flex pant and they' breathe really well if you want them to. Regarding the Flex 3 and its replacement…they are going to replace it with a newer version but you won't see it until end of 2016, beginning of 2017 and that's straight from a TM rep. The new version will be much easier to work with when it comes to removing or adding liners.  I guess the flex 3 has 7 zippers and they are going to reduce it to 3 zippers in the next version.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

elp_jc

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »
Any word on sizing? I'm 32 waist, so between the S at 30-32 and M at 32-34. I don't plan to ever wear the insulating liner, so want the least floppy fit, especially with my skinny legs. Few said they run small, which would rule out the S. And then would have no choice but to get the M. And the good news is the liner would fit if ever necessary. I also don't want the inseam too short in the riding position, which I'm afraid could be the case even with the M. I'm 31" inseam, but need at least 32" on riding pants due to bent legs. I switched to medium size boots by replacing both my super short and long Sidi Stradas with the TCX X-cube ones. And that means the pants can now ride over my boots much more easily, but not a big deal unless cold. Tha pants are a lot more expensive, so I'd like them to fit properly to add versatility.

The Flex 3 jacket is not significantly cheaper than my next choice, the JoeRocket Phoenix Ion, so a no-brainer IMO, since it can be converted to a nicer jacket with the exterior liner. I don't know if the interior liner would fit me with the XS, but since I want that jacket primarily as a mesh one, want it the least floppy possible, for better protection in case of disaster ;D.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 02:56:20 PM »
Any word on sizing?  I also don't want the inseam too short in the riding position, which I'm afraid could be the case even with the M. I'm 31" inseam, but need at least 32" on riding pants

The reason I am stuck with just jeans and sometimes chaps is because with a 27" inseam, riding pants are impossible to adjust.  You can't just hem them, because the knee armor ends up on the calf area (offering zero protection).  And there are zippers and pleats.  And even if you did all that, if there is a liner, you have to take all THAT into consideration too :(

Chaps suck; they don't protect well and look somewhat stupid; but just snaps at the bottom, cut off the leather at the needed point and they are the right size.  Oh, and at least I can take them off and then just have on something comfortable at my destination.

First-world problems :)  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=First%20World%20Problems
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline nyrangersfan19

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 02:13:42 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on the Flex 3 jacket.  $120 shipped.  Hopefully it gets here before Thursday when I pick my bike up.
2017 ZG1400

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on the Flex 3 jacket.  $120 shipped.  Hopefully it gets here before Thursday when I pick my bike up.

I ended up going with the Klim Induction jacket and add the liners as needed. It works great because I can ride in heat and it breathes great but can add liners and ride in 20 degree weather and am not cold...the fit is great, looks good, lovin it!

Just bought a pair of SIDI All Road Gore-Tex boots today from the local BMW shop.

I am heading down about 2 hours South of me this Friday to a company called "Motoport" to get fitted for their "Ultra II Air Mesh" overpant. Once I do that I will have the setup I have been searching for. Pants have been the most difficult thing to find because the fit is never right but with Motoport you actually get fitted so everything is where it should be!
Mike
Ojai, CA

elp_jc

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »
I also pulled the trigger yesterday with the same Flex3 jacket for $120 shipped. Couldn't buy it off eBay for some reason, but were also listed on Amazon, so bought it there. It arrives tomorrow. For that kind of money, can't go wrong IMO. I'm between sizes, but since the main purpose of buying that jacket is for the mesh version, I probably will only be able to use it with the exterior 'shell', but not the liner. It also might be a bit short on both sleeves and torso, but not a big deal for a mesh summer jacket anyway. I still have a very effective Vanson vest that can supplement the shell if needed (won't use this jacket for colder rides. Have a 2-piece suit for that). Will post my comments when I get it. Never bought anything XS in my life, but these seem to run large. That's what Revzilla recommended, but they don't have my size or color anymore. We'll see how it fits.

Pants have been the most difficult thing to find because the fit is never right
Same story with me, and the reason I don't have any summer riding pants. My problem is I want PANTS, not overpants. And basically all such pants are overpants. So absolutely HUGE with my chicken legs ;D. And don't like pants flapping all over the place when riding. If I don't find a slim pair of such pants, will continue using riding jeans. Good luck with yours, and please keep us posted.

Offline dailybibliotaph

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 04:57:15 PM »
I have a Rev'It Cayenne Pro jacket and pants - they are a little pricey at around $600 for jacket and $400 for pants but they are true 4 - season. I ride year round in NYC area which means winter ambient temps in low single digits to low 100s in summer. 3 possible layers. Top with armor, second rain-proof layer and 3rd insulation layer. Highway riding with all 3 - layers in low teens is fine with no heated gear for up a little more than an hour. Summer with just the top layer with all vents open is good with temps in 90s when moving with good air flow.
The Internet - feeding conspiracies to the uneducated since 1991

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »
I also pulled the trigger yesterday with the same Flex3 jacket for $120 shipped. Couldn't buy it off eBay for some reason, but were also listed on Amazon, so bought it there. It arrives tomorrow. For that kind of money, can't go wrong IMO. I'm between sizes, but since the main purpose of buying that jacket is for the mesh version, I probably will only be able to use it with the exterior 'shell', but not the liner. It also might be a bit short on both sleeves and torso, but not a big deal for a mesh summer jacket anyway. I still have a very effective Vanson vest that can supplement the shell if needed (won't use this jacket for colder rides. Have a 2-piece suit for that). Will post my comments when I get it. Never bought anything XS in my life, but these seem to run large. That's what Revzilla recommended, but they don't have my size or color anymore. We'll see how it fits.
 Same story with me, and the reason I don't have any summer riding pants. My problem is I want PANTS, not overpants. And basically all such pants are overpants. So absolutely HUGE with my chicken legs ;D. And don't like pants flapping all over the place when riding. If I don't find a slim pair of such pants, will continue using riding jeans. Good luck with yours, and please keep us posted.

Juan, these "Motoport" guys I'm referring to will create riding "PANTS" for you...not overpants but actual riding pants buddy! Call then or go to their site and they will explain what you do. You have to do some "tailor prep" on your own with some clips and chalk and then you send your prep'd jeans to them and they use them as a template and when they're finished you get your pants back along with a pair of RIDING PANTS (with armor) that will fit you properly...check it out brother!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 05:13:11 PM »
I have a Rev'It Cayenne Pro jacket and pants - they are a little pricey at around $600 for jacket and $400 for pants but they are true 4 - season. I ride year round in NYC area which means winter ambient temps in low single digits to low 100s in summer. 3 possible layers. Top with armor, second rain-proof layer and 3rd insulation layer. Highway riding with all 3 - layers in low teens is fine with no heated gear for up a little more than an hour. Summer with just the top layer with all vents open is good with temps in 90s when moving with good air flow.

I looked at that jacket. I live in So Cal so the mesh Klim works great for me and the liner is good for our basic Winters and I have a Gerbing heated liner I can use, if needed. The Motoport overpants I'm going to get fitted for are $400. What's going to be nice about those, other than the obvious fitting, is that they are 100% mesh and the strongest stuff out there! Their stitching is top notch as well and the pants have a liner that can be used when temps drop or rain hits so it really is a great deal! I'm looking forward to having a pair of mesh overpants that fit properly...pants where the knee pads aren't around my ankles ???!!!
Mike
Ojai, CA

elp_jc

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 05:38:17 PM »
check it out brother!
I will. Just want to hear your final testimonial after you ride a couple of times with them. I'm curious about the liner, especially if it goes on the inside. Need to know how much it affects fit, to know how tight (or loose) to make the pants. Will use your input and suggestions to make the final decision. Thanks a lot my friend. Appreciate all your help.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »
Juan, these "Motoport" guys I'm referring to will create

I have to say, they have some compelling stuff, like these overpants:  http://www.motoport.com/product/ultra-ii-cordura-pant/  Unfortunately, not much in color selection (yep, I would prefer grey for matching and visibility) and nowhere near enough photos to figure out how they actually work.  So many options and features, they really need a video to describe it all.  And yeeesh... the measuring is complex...  http://www.motoport.com/sizing-guides/sizing-guide-for-mens-pants/  !

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 11:34:18 AM »
I have to say, they have some compelling stuff, like these overpants:  http://www.motoport.com/product/ultra-ii-cordura-pant/  Unfortunately, not much in color selection (yep, I would prefer grey for matching and visibility) and nowhere near enough photos to figure out how they actually work.  So many options and features, they really need a video to describe it all.  And yeeesh... the measuring is complex...  http://www.motoport.com/sizing-guides/sizing-guide-for-mens-pants/  !

Yeah Max, the colors are pretty limited and I'm not I don't think the line of jackets look that great but that's only my opinion. Fortunately my Klim jacket is black/silver so the black mesh overpant from Motoport will work out well for me...I'm already wearing black Tourmaster mesh so going with the color black isn't anything new! The gear is most definitely made with the focus on protection and NOT looks but as far as protection goes they are supposed to be top-notch...ugly in terms of aesthetics but top-notch in performance! When I say "ugly" I don't mean "can't wear it because it's so ugly" ugly but that it's not nearly as "pretty" as the commercialized gear we tend to shop for on Revzilla. I have been told it looks better when seen in person and that the site does a poor job showing the gear. I will know on Friday and hopefully take some pics when I'm down there. My buddy is also riding down with me so he can get fitted for his police gear so I will post pics if I can get some.

One of the Motoport reps brought gear to the local Sheriff's station where my buddy works and gave them a demonstration of the gear. Motoport brought gear that had been involved in accidents, high speed accidents of 80, 90, 100+ MPH, and my buddy told me the gear looked like it barely touched the ground...that it had scuff marks and scratches but handled the slide on pavement with ease. In fact, the only reason the gear was "unwearable" was because the paramedics had to cut the gear off of the crash victim and the paramedics made comments about how difficult it was to cut the material used in the gear!

There are a lot of option and features and I do agree with you that the site is not informative at all considering what they offer! I had to call them and ask because the site wasn't clear and I had questions that couldn't be answered by reading through their information.

The measuring or "tailor prep" is an extensive and complicated process which is why I am riding the 2-2.5 hours South for a fitting. Riding South for me is no fun because South is Los Angeles and everything around it...North is much better and the further North I go the better it gets but for this I will go South and am looking forward to getting this done. I will definitely be reporting more after my visit so stay tuned!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
Mike, thanks for bringing this up..  :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »
I have a little bit older TourMaster Sonora Air jacket. For me, living in Texas where it gets really hot, it worked great. I've worn it from 25 to 115 degrees. Nobody makes a jacket that will be perfect at both ends of that range, but this one worked really well. I think the Sonora Air is a 3/4 length version of the Intake Air, or close to it. It has the internal, removable rain liner and a full-sleeve quilted liner. Put them both in and it's pretty warm. Without them, I doubt you can get any better airflow in another jacket.

You can get the TourMaster Sonora Air at:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-sonora-air-jacket. Be sure to watch the video if you have questions. They're showing them at $240. The Intake Air is like $220, but I haven't seen one in person.

If it gets REALLY cold, I just throw my rain jacket over the top.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »
Mike, thanks for bringing this up..  :thumbs:

My pleasure ;)

I hope to see more and more of our forum friends buying gear like this for the sole purpose of riding with gear that is properly fitted and made to keep you "safer" in the event something should happen...Lord willing it never does but better to have it and NEVER use it than not have the proper gear and something happen!

This is for everyone; read the details of the product on the site...you have to dig but there are details I didn't see before. They include details but sometimes it's buried under one product but covers a lot of what they sell. The material they use is really cool...literally "cool". Their "black" is called "cool black" and is designed to keep you 15 degrees cooler than any other mesh you can buy. So, black won't necessarily feel like "black"! It's really good stuff and definitely worth checking out for anyone who rides.

Also, the gear is designed to last for up to 500,00 miles of riding and then they'll replace zippers, liners, velcro, and everything that can be replaced and give you another 500k miles out of them! If you happen to go down and the gear is "un-reparable" they will replace it for free so you really can't beat the value they offer!

Like I said before, more info coming after Friday!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 12:13:48 PM »
I have a little bit older TourMaster Sonora Air jacket. For me, living in Texas where it gets really hot, it worked great. I've worn it from 25 to 115 degrees. Nobody makes a jacket that will be perfect at both ends of that range, but this one worked really well. I think the Sonora Air is a 3/4 length version of the Intake Air, or close to it. It has the internal, removable rain liner and a full-sleeve quilted liner. Put them both in and it's pretty warm. Without them, I doubt you can get any better airflow in another jacket.

You can get the TourMaster Sonora Air at:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-sonora-air-jacket. Be sure to watch the video if you have questions. They're showing them at $240. The Intake Air is like $220, but I haven't seen one in person.

If it gets REALLY cold, I just throw my rain jacket over the top.

I agree and I know there are really good jackets out there. As I said earlier, I have the Klim Induction and it works fantastic! Also, the Klim gear is regarded as "good gear" in the eyes of the Motoport group. To them it's all about material and construction/stitching and the Klim stuff rates high. I did try the Klim pants but the problem was "fit" and armor placement. It is all of these factors with pants that have led me to do the Motoport thing for pants.

I use the mesh year round here in So Cal and ride in areas where it's been 115 degrees and have ridden with mesh in temps down in the teens and the mesh mixed with liners, IMHO, is the best setup. I think it offers the best flexibility and you are hearing that from someone who has tried 8 different jackets and 3 different "overpants" over the last year-and-a-half! I am no expert but do have good experience in riding 25,000-ish miles over the last year in cold, hot, snow and rain and know, at least for me, the mesh with liners is best and it eliminates having to have a 2nd jacket with me. I have tried the jackets that claim to be "all season" with the vented flaps and all of that but no matter how you slice it, they are HOT in summer...period! Again, this is only my opinion and taken from the last year of riding pretty much every day, 25,000-ish miles and through a multitude of weather conditions.

I know this is "off-subject" and something I'd be happy to discuss in another post but the same goes for windscreens. Tried 9 different screens so I know about those too :o!
Mike
Ojai, CA