Author Topic: 2006-2016 Brembo 320mm Conversion Front Brake Disc Upgrade Kit  (Read 3580 times)

Offline smokin

Has anyone upgraded the front brakes to a  Brembo 320mm Conversion Front Brake Disc Upgrade Kit.If so I would be interested in any feedback,relative to improved braking and the effect it had on the linked brakes system in terms of rear brake application and effect on the front brake rotor sensitivity with the linked set up on say a 2014 concours.
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2006-2016 Brembo 320mm Conversion Front Brake Disc Upgrade Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »
I can't address your question, but I am curious as to why you would want different discs.  The stock ones on the C14 are big and strong (as one would expect on an expensive sport-tourer).  I have never read about them being overloaded or too weak, even with obscene riding or lots of extra luggage, two-up.  Is it just that you need to replace them due to wear and looking at something different (kinda the "why not" factor)?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:22:44 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline smokin

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »
I found the brakes with standard pads to be very ordinary with two up and luggage.Fitted sintered pads after cleaning rotors at approximately 3000kms when tyres were changed.
Much improved braking.
Experiencing slight brake shudder now,will be time for new tyres end of year so I will replace the front rotors when the wheels are removed.
After extensive research into front brake rotors I am opting to change the "wave" style rotor which were originally designed for motocross/dirt bikes to remove mud etc from the rotor surface until manufacturers made for road bikes.
It would appear that the majority of  road race bikes don't use them,so there must something in that.
Apparently "wave" rotors are more susceptible to brake shudder/pulsation.
So simply put I want a high quality rotor,I.E.,Brembo which will last longer I believe especially in a larger diameter.A little bit more expensive than laser cut Galfer or EBC but worth it.
P.S.,There is a 330mm Brembo upgrade available also,theses upgrades are lIsted  for the ZX14 ,same part number for the 1400 concours/GTR for standard rotors in OEM part.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »
A lot of people have posted about using EBC rotors, but not due to lack of performance of the stock (which work fine), just because they need to replace worn rotors and the stock ones are quite expensive (and some earlier ones were prone to warping).  In this case, I think Brembo would be quality, but more bragging rights than anything of actual gain.

In any case:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16676.0

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline smokin

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:23:32 PM »
Stock front rotors from a Dealer in Australia approx with pads approx $1200.00 AUS.BREMBO 320MM upgrade rotor kit which includes spacers and mounting Studs $837.00 AUS.
 Here's a link to very well priced EBC brake rotors and EBC pads for those interested.

.http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/brake-discs/bike/kawasaki/2014/gtr1400

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 09:30:49 PM »
Wow, I wasn't kidding when I said the stock ones are expensive!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »
I dont think going from the stock 310mm to  320mm is going to do anything for you.
Just install a set of cheap Chinese ebay rotors. They work great-- and I replaced my lines with SS lines and of course HH pads.
I have tried them.. for the money you cannot go wrong
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 07:06:18 AM »
On my ninja 1000, I added a set of new take off rotors from the 2016 zx10.  They are 330mm Brembo, and the stock ninja 1000 used 300mm discs.

You would assume an extra 30mm of disc to be awesome. Mind boggling even.  They are very nice, but the diameter added very little to the overall package. Honest, its way closer to nothing.

Dont get me wrong, they are awesoem rotors.  Smooth, quiet and powerful. However, the added diameter is just  no big deal. Honest, if its a big initial hit you are looking for, a set of 310mm galfer waves offer more of that.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
I have 330 Brembo's on my Duc. They feel great but do not feel any better then the C14 OEM front brakes IMO.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 07:11:48 AM »
Rhyno, I agree.  This c14 is not an idea choice for brake improvement. Meaning, its going to cost $$$$ to get much of an improvement over what we have, stock.

Offline smokin

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »
Thank You for all your feedback,it would appear that braking effect  will be similar to the original OEM 310mm rotors which is good regarding the effect on the link system not favoring the right front rotor when rear brake pedal applied to much .
The original idea to go to 320mm brembo is
1.Rotor longevity.
2.Smoother braking.
3.Bang for the buck compared to OEM rotors.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 07:23:07 AM »
Rhyno, no idea if they might last longer.  I THINK they might but who knows?

As far as smooth, yes...They are smooth, quiet and progressive.

Bang for buck? I paid 199.00 for mine, so yes. At 699.00, or whatever, I dont think you could justify it, but they are amazing. I suppose if you were forced to buy rotors anyway, for sure this is what I would buy.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 12:56:31 PM »
Rhyno, no idea if they might last longer.  I THINK they might but who knows?

As far as smooth, yes...They are smooth, quiet and progressive.

Bang for buck? I paid 199.00 for mine, so yes. At 699.00, or whatever, I dont think you could justify it, but they are amazing. I suppose if you were forced to buy rotors anyway, for sure this is what I would buy.

The OEM rotors on my C14 became too thin after about 55,000 miles. I replaced with EBC simply for price. The EBC's are thicker than the OEM and I assume might last longer. But they don't feel as linear as the OEM's. I don't like how Kawi linked the brakes but I do think the front OEM brakes are pretty damn good.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
Rhyno, I dont especially care for the feel the wave shaped rotors offer..More wave shaped than stock, I suppose you could say.

I have the galfer waves, just taking up storage space. They have a massive initial bite, and yes, I agree with you.  Its almost like you miss that 1-10% of brake...as if you touch the lever and get 20%, right off.