Author Topic: Seeing the surgeon  (Read 29256 times)

Son of Pappy

Seeing the surgeon
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:55:01 PM »
So, tomorow is the big day to find out which procedure I will have.  I have been struggling with a degenerative back problem (L4, 5) for the last few years, did all the PT, shots, and nerve cauterization, treatments aint working and I hate pain pills, robs me of the ability to do the things I love.
The surgery by itself isn't a pleasant thought, but the added responsibility of caring for my Alzheimers diagnosed father (Pappy) makes everything far worse.
I am not a biblically religious man, but I do believe in the power of prayer.  Say a word or two for strength.  I'm going to need it.  I am financialy sound and I ask that I hear no pity, life is good.

Thanks in advance,

Chet

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
Re: Seeing the surgeon
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:56:05 PM »
Good Luck Chet, keep us posted on your progress brother.
Will

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
Chet,

I'll send a good thought or two along with a prayer your way.

Good luck!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Brother; I will be on bended knee for you tonight
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »
Prayers said Chet.  You have some trying time ahead of you.  Hope and pray it all works out well.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:55:57 PM »
I know of which you speak, I will probably need the same procedure someday. Keep the good attitude, our prayers are with you.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:22:25 PM »
Don't we all...  Good luck!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »
I wish you all the best Chet.  I will say a prayer for you tonight. Take care sir.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:16:59 PM »
Thoughts and prayers my friend.
Gary

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »
Good luck to you!  I wish you the best!!!!!!

I am scheduled for a 4 level discogram (sounds so 80's, huh? :o ) next Tuesday to narrow down discs for my fusion.  They know L5/S1, possibly L5/L4... but I guess they are looking at L4/L3 and S1/S2 as well.  I am in the same boat as you, with 3D's.  I've done the injections... RF nerve burn... pills... TENS Unit... this is all that's left 

I'm supposed to have ALIF, coming in thru small 3-5 inch incision in the lower abdominal area on the right side.  The recovery time is supposed to be shorter for it than a TLIF/PLIF, I hope that's what you get an option for and that's what I would opt for. 

Keep us posted.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
Chet,
If you are having your back scoped, you will do fine. I have had both a scoping and a cut job. I was pain free from the moment I woke up from both surgeries. The reason for the 2nd scope was for some scar tissue, no biggie at all, as a matter of fact, i wasn't even out for it, just a local.
Both times My re-hab was the neighbors hot tub after a week or so of Ice. When your lower back muscles get tired, they will cause more pain then the actual injury. A hot tub will help those puppies relax and reduce nerve tension pain.
I will also recommend lots of ICE for the first week or so. This is the only thing that will cut the normal swelling that happens after surgery.
After a couple of weeks, exercise, lite walking, then  more to build up endurance. Hopefully your Doctor has some type of Sports Medicine backround, the sports type recovery seems to be more effective for the long term .
Don't fret what you can't control, good luck, and we will see you on the road.
Ride safe all, ands please, ATGATT.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
Done !  And best of luck. ;D
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »
Thanks to all, I'll share as I have info.  Keep them prayers coming!!

sherob, back atcha, maybe we can play virtual checkers during recovery :D

Greg, from what I've read I will be having the disk replacement, 20+ yrs of Army life wasnt all that kind.  I have an inversion table, hot tub, and lots of ice at my disposal, neighbor is a licensed masseuse and his wife is a physical therapist.  It has just come down to wore out bone and a coupla herniated disks.  I'd sure like to be scoped, I'd even do it under local, i hate being under, waking up just plains sucks. 
Thanks again, this virtual family is awesome!!!

Chet

Offline Leo

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 05:42:29 PM »
Knees bent, Prayers sent.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline booger

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
Chet,  your in luck.  I am a biblically religious man and also believe in the power of prayer.  You have a lots of good people here praying to get you through your surgery, including myself.

I'll say an extra one for you this evening.  Good luck with the surgery.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »
Good luck with it, hope they have a plan and resolve it for you!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Excavator

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 07:34:51 PM »
Chet, you can count on prayers from Arkansas. I hope for you to have a speedy recovery with little discomfort, good luck sir.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »
The very best of luck with your treatment Chet. Sorry to hear you need any treatment at all but I guess the good news is that treatment is avaliable. Let us know how it goes.

Brian

So, tomorow is the big day to find out which procedure I will have.  I have been struggling with a degenerative back problem (L4, 5) for the last few years, did all the PT, shots, and nerve cauterization, treatments aint working and I hate pain pills, robs me of the ability to do the things I love.
The surgery by itself isn't a pleasant thought, but the added responsibility of caring for my Alzheimers diagnosed father (Pappy) makes everything far worse.
I am not a biblically religious man, but I do believe in the power of prayer.  Say a word or two for strength.  I'm going to need it.  I am financialy sound and I ask that I hear no pity, life is good.

Thanks in advance,

Chet
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline koval68

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »
Good luck with your treatment Chet, I truly hope it is successful.
"Keep your chin up. Don't take your troubles to bed with you - hang them on a chair with your trousers or drop them in a glass of water with your teeth."  ;D  ;)
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »
Just returned from the office, the surgeon will be performing a lumbar lateral microdisectomy.  Amounts to a small incision, scope inserted, dremel inserted in scope, and ginding things to fit.  Not unlike working on a bike ;)  Recovery time is estimated at 6-8 weeks, havent had that much time off work since I was in High School, gonna be weird.  If I start posting up things about Jerry Springer or Oprah it's the drugs, honest ;)  I just hope he doesn't have a KiPASS activation switch failure mid grind ;D
The procedure will be either next week or the following week.  Guess I'll be the camp cookie this Elk season :'(