Author Topic: Grooved pavement  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Thatguy

Grooved pavement
« on: June 27, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »
I bought an '06 back in April from a dealer in Ohio.  The bike has around 35K miles and I know nothing about it's previous life, except it seems to me that it had been sitting around for a while (just an impression).

There's a lot of grooved pavement here in Michigan, especially the Interstates.  The bike sets up a mild shake on grooved pavement above 50mph that I feel from the saddle on up.  I can't tell if it's the front end or the back but I don't feel it on non-grooved pavement.  I never noticed it on my previous bike (an '08 Versys).

Anybody else have issues like this?  The only thing I've done is replace the front tire with a K701 Dunlop to match the rear.  Dealer installed a Metzeler front with the Dunlop rear and the bike acted the same way with this combination.

This is my first post to the Forum.  I figured I had a better chance with you guys than trying to explain it to my local dealer!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Grooved pavement
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 07:25:08 PM »
First thought is to have the front steering stem bearings checked and likely snugged up. What air pressure are you running in your tires? What are your suspension settings? Try removing the black foot scoops. Stock windshield or aftermarket?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
The Blue Monster always gets wobbly on grooved pavement.  I've only run the stock tires and Michelin Pilot GTs and the stock tires were much worse on the grooves.  GTs not so much but they've been an all around much better tire than the stock Dunlops.  I can't say that there is no tire that will not get some wobble but I don't imagine that there is.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:21:56 AM »
Having dealt with the grooves thing myself, the best thing I ever did was changing out my front tire for one without a centerline groove (Pilot GT in my case).  The worst was when driving with stock tires on a road at lower speeds that had just been rotomilled , in preparation for new pavement.  That 'tracking with the groove feeling' made me very uncomfortable, and I haven't had it since going to a crosshatched pattern without a centerline groove.

The stock Connie tires aren't very good, and are holding your bike back.  Keep in mind that Kawasaki went with the lowest bidder for those tires, and it shows.  There are many better options out there, that will be better suited to whatever riding style you prefer (sport, touring/high mileage, etc.).  I will never put the 'stock' tires on a Connie ever again, as the bike handles MUCH better with some of the other choices which you may see recommended elsewhere on the forum here.  From what I've read here over the years, almost all members here will concur with the assessment of ditching the stockers for better options when the time comes to get new tires. 

I currently have a Pilot GT front and an Avon AM42 Venom rear in 'wing' size as I'm a road warrior type, not a sporty type.  The Pilot GTs are discontinued, which is why I currently have a Venom on the rear, and have several interesting options for my next tire change.  I have 45K+ miles on the bike currently, and my current tires should be good for at least another 5-8K miles.

I'm STILL pissed off with Michelin discontinuing the GT's.  For those of us that didn't mind the heavier steering, they were great high mileage tires that handled well; not quite as grippy as some stickier Avon combos that some Connie owners use here, but definitely much better than the stock tires, and definitely much longer lasting tires.  But I digress...

Definitely check the bearings as mentioned above, of course.  Also, keep in mind that the front wheel bearings aren't that expensive, btw, should you feel the inclination to replace them yourself.

BTW, www.murphskits.com is a good source for Connie stuff, and he happily stocks bearings for the Connie as well as a lot of other stuff.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »
Having dealt with the grooves thing myself, the best thing I ever did was changing out my front tire for one without a centerline groove (Pilot GT in my case).  The worst was when driving with stock tires on a road at lower speeds that had just been rotomilled , in preparation for new pavement.  That 'tracking with the groove feeling' made me very uncomfortable, and I haven't had it since going to a crosshatched pattern without a centerline groove.

The stock Connie tires aren't very good, and are holding your bike back.  Keep in mind that Kawasaki went with the lowest bidder for those tires, and it shows.  There are many better options out there, that will be better suited to whatever riding style you prefer (sport, touring/high mileage, etc.).  I will never put the 'stock' tires on a Connie ever again, as the bike handles MUCH better with some of the other choices which you may see recommended elsewhere on the forum here.  From what I've read here over the years, almost all members here will concur with the assessment of ditching the stockers for better options when the time comes to get new tires. 

I currently have a Pilot GT front and an Avon AM42 Venom rear in 'wing' size as I'm a road warrior type, not a sporty type.  The Pilot GTs are discontinued, which is why I currently have a Venom on the rear, and have several interesting options for my next tire change.  I have 45K+ miles on the bike currently, and my current tires should be good for at least another 5-8K miles.

I'm STILL pissed off with Michelin discontinuing the GT's.  For those of us that didn't mind the heavier steering, they were great high mileage tires that handled well; not quite as grippy as some stickier Avon combos that some Connie owners use here, but definitely much better than the stock tires, and definitely much longer lasting tires.  But I digress...

Definitely check the bearings as mentioned above, of course.  Also, keep in mind that the front wheel bearings aren't that expensive, btw, should you feel the inclination to replace them yourself.

BTW, www.murphskits.com is a good source for Connie stuff, and he happily stocks bearings for the Connie as well as a lot of other stuff.
Yes sir the center groove on front tires will make it feel like you are driving on marbles.  I was also upset to hear that the GT was being discontinued.  I have to tell you that I'm not so upset any more.  I put a Shinko 005 radial (wing size) on the front of my 02. WOW it does not have the heavy steer that the GT did.  For a wing sized tire it is very nimble.
I also put a Shinko 890 Journey on the rear. 
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:43:27 AM »
Yes sir the center groove on front tires will make it feel like you are driving on marbles.  I was also upset to hear that the GT was being discontinued.  I have to tell you that I'm not so upset any more.  I put a Shinko 005 radial (wing size) on the front of my 02. WOW it does not have the heavy steer that the GT did.  For a wing sized tire it is very nimble.
I also put a Shinko 890 Journey on the rear.

BTW, the heavy steering feeling went away when I put the Venom rear on as well,  but I'm sure there are more nimble, better suited combos.  I look forward to trading out the GT front for newer, good performing options when it finally wears out (18 K out of the last one, looks like it will be about the same with the current one).  The bike throws over fairly well, but the rider (me) isn't that comfortable with dragging pegs currently, as I haven't quite got my riding confidence back since the accident I had a couple of winter's back.  No fear? No more, norsiree!  Just call me Grandpa!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:29:20 PM »
IMHO ride on enough different roads and eventually you'll get that feel regardless of your tire choice, though some may be more prone as mentioned.  I've very rarely felt it with Avon Storms and now Michelin PR3s.

Relax on the grips, don't tense-up or 'fight' it and all will be good.  She's not gonna dance out from under you though the sensation is weird.
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline Stasch

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
+1 on center grooves in the tires.  The groove edges seem to be heavily influenced by edges and lines. 

NOT having that will make a huge difference.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline goatmar

• Go where God wants you.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
Dunlop Roadsmart for the front  ;D
Dave Muzzey
COG#7957
'01 Connie "BLUE"

Offline Stasch

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
By the way, just noticed you said 'Michigan'.

Whereabouts?
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 05:31:47 PM »

I put on a Michelin Commander II on the rear in stock size to replace the Venom that went defective on my last trip. The Commander II is a whole lot better riding than the Venom, much smoother. They both seemed to handle about the same, decent.

I'm running a Michelin PR3 up front, 110/80zr/18. I put 14k miles on the first one, this one looks to be the same. With this tire, say good bye to heavy steering, truck like handling. The PR3's are new technology, and it shows in ride, and handling. Nice tire. Kind of hard to find in that size, but Dennis Kirk stocks them, at the cheapest price I've seen.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
I'm sure tires do make a difference on "grooved pavement". Here in the western states [ Californis, Nevada, Oregon] the "grooved pavement" may be used prior to road resurfacing or heavy rain prone surfaces.
On a recent trip through Nevada into California my wife and I hit "grooved pavement". We were riding our bikes ('86 Concours Avon Storm/Azaro; '83 Suzuki GS1100G"L" Bridgestone/Bridgestone) both experienced "wondering around" on the "grooved pavement". Really un-nerving for my wife who knew for sure she was going to crash! She didn't, but didn't enjoy that section of road. A female, Harley rider we met in a gas station at the end of that section had the same complaint. My wife was still complaining about the road and the Harley rider told her to loosen up on the grips, keep your eyes up, look where you want to go and just ride. On our return trip over the same section of roadway my wife did what the Harley rider had said. My wife said it worked for her, but she still felt uncomfortable.
Service the steering head bearings? Sure, I'm sure they all need some adjustment. Choice of tires? Yep, that too. Experience? Yep, plays a big part. And some roadways are grooved worse than others. Metal grated bridges crossing the Columbia are a real experience. One my wife has yet to do and I'm not looking forward to that!

Ride safe all,
Bob Young

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
Great post! I live for the wind blows hard most of the time. Last ride I was on everyone was complaining about the wind and asking me if the wind didn't effect my bike. I told them you just need to ride a little loose so you are not overcorrecting. They looked at me like I was drooling! Many things contribute to the ride and rider input certainly factors in.
Wayne

I'm sure tires do make a difference on "grooved pavement". Here in the western states [ Californis, Nevada, Oregon] the "grooved pavement" may be used prior to road resurfacing or heavy rain prone surfaces.
On a recent trip through Nevada into California my wife and I hit "grooved pavement". We were riding our bikes ('86 Concours Avon Storm/Azaro; '83 Suzuki GS1100G"L" Bridgestone/Bridgestone) both experienced "wondering around" on the "grooved pavement". Really un-nerving for my wife who knew for sure she was going to crash! She didn't, but didn't enjoy that section of road. A female, Harley rider we met in a gas station at the end of that section had the same complaint. My wife was still complaining about the road and the Harley rider told her to loosen up on the grips, keep your eyes up, look where you want to go and just ride. On our return trip over the same section of roadway my wife did what the Harley rider had said. My wife said it worked for her, but she still felt uncomfortable.
Service the steering head bearings? Sure, I'm sure they all need some adjustment. Choice of tires? Yep, that too. Experience? Yep, plays a big part. And some roadways are grooved worse than others. Metal grated bridges crossing the Columbia are a real experience. One my wife has yet to do and I'm not looking forward to that!

Ride safe all,
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Thatguy

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »
Thanks for all the great input.  I've been riding off and on for close to 40 years so I'm pretty relaxed on the grips.  I learned my lesson in West Virginia when I nearly went off the shoulder on the twisties because I tensed up on the bars!  Just lightened up and enjoyed the rest of the ride without incident.

Anyway, this morning I had a few minutes to check the bike over and found I was set up pretty mushy.  Fork preload cranked up from 5 marks to 2 marks, and found only about 15 psi in the shock with preload set at 3.  I increased the air pressure to 30 and pushed the damping adjust all the way in to 1.  Stock Dunlops (K700) were a bit soft too, so tire pressures corrected to 36F/42R.

Took a ride up to St Clair from Macomb Twp (home base) and the wiggle was much better than it has been.  I've got a little room left to tweak the settings and might try that when I have time.

My darling bride and I are riding out to Gettysburg in a couple weeks so I'll post more when we get back.

Thanks again everybody!  Maybe I'll get around to updating my profile soon!

Offline Dan in Grand Rapids

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »
I had this problem a few years ago and it turned out to be the front wheel bearings were worn out. I replaced them and my connie is as smooth and stable as it can be on really worn out and always under construction roads.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 07:25:10 AM »
Nastiest feeling I've had on Vrooomm was just after getting her with the badly cupped and under inflated front tire (Metzler ME2?) and excessively over tightened steering head bearing.  Replaced (OE Dunlop?) and aired up the tire to around 40PSI, much better.  Adjusted the bearing properly, MUCH BETTER.

Also engine mounts.  The bolts are known to sheer due to improper shimming or stretching when excess torque is used to avoid using the shim...  Since the engine is part of the chassis, it's important to get the mounts right.  Lots of posts on that so I won't bore you.  Just Search 'em :)

Remember the preload has nothing to do with 'softness'.  I just changes the resting point of the suspension so it can use as much of the travel as possible with the given spring.  If the suspension is bottoming, add some preload.  If it's topping, reduce preload.  If it's doing both, without bouncing, you need a stiffer spring.  If it is bouncing, the fork oil needs serviced and maybe the weight changed.

One of the best 'mods' I've done on Vrooomm was changing the OE springs to Sonic's straight rate (1.1?) and installing the RaceTech cartridge emulators.   Rides better.  BRAKES BETTER since the front end dive is better controlled.  I think it's Riccor that makes an inertial valve now which is reported to work even better and is what I'd go with today.

Connie can be real particular in the suspension area.  Once everything's According to Hoyle tho', it's not bad at all.
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html