Author Topic: George H.W. Bush, 94 years old today  (Read 1394 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
George H.W. Bush, 94 years old today
« on: June 12, 2018, 03:22:50 PM »
This post IS NOT POLITICAL nor does it have any political bent or sway.

And now the longest- lived ex- President of the US.

I was honestly not expecting this result when he went into the hospital a couple of weeks back but apparently he was discharged about a week ago and is doing <reasonably> well.

The man has his quirks and frankly, I thought he was something of a 'clod' when he reached the US national political stage but having now seen him for decades, as well as learning more about his personal history, I have come to respect the man quite a bit. He was born into wealth and privilege but still served as a Naval Aviator during WW II, then went on to a lifetime of public service. And while he has his quirks, as we all do, he also has a sense of humor (not the socks), as well as at least some level of humanity; when on his secret service agents' children was being treated for cancer, all the agents shaved their heads in support of the little guy..... and then so did G.H.W. Bush. This was long after his political career was over and I cannot imagine how or why it would be done to curry anyones' favor, so I believe it to be a genuine gesture of support and comradeship with the people he spends so much time with; a very human gesture IMO.

So the gentleman has earned a reasonable amount of respect IMO. And the photo with the news article shows him smiling in a car on his birthday...... 

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

Re: George H.W. Bush, 94 years old today
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 05:00:57 PM »
When He visited fort Bragg, NC in late 1989, if I remember right, I was one of the MPs assigned to a protection detail for the visit, and still never even saw him. It was still cool, though. Glad He's still hanging around.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 07:31:44 AM »
I didn't realize he was older than Jimmy Carter. Happy birthday Mr. President. I doubt he is still jumping out of airplanes on his birthday.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 03:41:48 PM »
Yep, just a tad older than Mr. Carter, who is 93. And no, I doubt he is jumping out of airplanes either; he has some chronic medical conditions that cause him to use a wheelchair. Still, he seems to have all his proverbial 'marbles' and is still looking at the grass from the right side (top).

Remember, time is a thief: it will steal one's youth, abilities, dignity, looks, memory, ability to function and eventually, all of our lives. So anyone who can 'parry and thrust' his / her way to 90+, and especially those who can still find some involvement and enjoyment out of life are very fortunate IMO. My F-I-L is 92 and still living in a private home with my M-I-L but it is tough seeing him deteriorate. It is hard on those around him too, his wife and his daughters, because they cannot interact very well with the gentleman anymore.

Still, I think G. H.W. Bush has had a very interesting life, spanning some of the most important decades in our (US) history. That, plus he was a contributor, perhaps good and perhaps not so much, perhaps effective or not so much but at least he tried, or so that is my thought.

Brian

I didn't realize he was older than Jimmy Carter. Happy birthday Mr. President. I doubt he is still jumping out of airplanes on his birthday.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline O.C.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 12:33:44 AM »
These 'old guys' seem to thrive on keeping busy...this one is now 97 ...mind you he has been unwell recently

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news/article/2017/05/05/all-things-he-said-legacy-prince-philip-and-his-all-too-often-racist-comments   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650