Author Topic: &%#$@&!!! Lost the FOB (one whole week!). Suggestions?  (Read 26526 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: &%#$@&!!! Lost the FOB (one whole week!). Suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
By the way, I did not say put it in your jacket pocket and forget it- I too use different jackets and that would not work well for me either.  I put the fob in my pants pocket.

I will point out in my case that I have a convertible jacket.  Mesh, outer cover, inner liner.... so I only have a single jacket that serves all purposes with a nice zippered pocket in the "permanent" part.   Since I usually take the jacket with me anywhere, leaving it in the jacket usually (but not always) works.  For me this is better than pants pocket, because there is less chance that it will get lost by coming out when taking out other keys, change, etc (I never use rear pockets, I hate sitting on things... and have only one front pocket available, because the other is dedicated and can't be used for anything else).

Of course this is not going to work for everyone... my point is just like yours- make it part of your gear and don't use it for the metal key in it (which forces you to take it out every time you open the bags or fuel cover).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »
I am a front left pants pocket guy. My Olympia pants have a zip pocket on the left, that is the only place I leave my fob. That is the only thing in there as I use the Cargo pockets for everything else. I use 3 or 4 different jackets and I tend to leave them in the bags or hanging on the handlebars when walking around. Don't go many places without my pants.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 10:15:28 PM »
Is that what you do? I saw a Connie at a BMW dealer where they left the fob in the glove box. I asked the sales guy about that security wise as they rolled it out by the road every day and left it for folks to look at. Seemed to me that with it in the glove box anyone in the know could jump on it and ride. He said no problem as not many folks know bout the active fob situation.....

That is what we call "security by obscurity" :)

The C14's ignition setup is unique and the bikes are rare enough that 99.9% of people out there (or more) would have no idea how to start the bike.  In Clogan's example- as long as you removed the metal key from the active fob, and take the stove key with you, that would suffice the most typical security.  Of course, the stove key is huge.... I wouldn't want THAT sucker in my pocket!!  (What a strange shape)  So if doing that, I would recommend keeping the stove key at home and just using the flat/metal key for the ignition.

Kind of reminds me of the systems for remote starters where they have to key an RFID key and hide it in the dashboard to deactivate that new fancy security stuff so the cheesy remote starter control will work. :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:56 PM »
Fob without battery backup.

Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 05:20:14 AM »
It might work. Some automotive systems use an RFID inductor in the key and that is quite similar to the RFID fob on a C-14. ??

Brian

Mitsubishi?  ;)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 05:24:55 AM »
Yeah, I respectfully disagree for some of those very reasons you mention- leaving a jacket on the bike, switching jackets (I have three I use under different circumstances), etc.

Put the RF fob in a front pants pocket and leave it there.... forever. Be done with it. Sure, you will have it at weddings, outside late at night, baying at the moon, etc., etc. but who cares? It is not heavy, it is not obtrusive and it always works fantastic in a pants pocket 'cause it is close to the RF receiver, which is under the seat. Most men learn to carry a wallet and not lose it- treat the fob the same way and all will be well.

I frankly cannot think of a reason to move a fob around to different gear, wear it around one's neck on a lanyard or anything else.

Brian

But, but, but Brian! I have two pairs of pants, what ever shall I do?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 06:26:15 AM »
C'mon Conrad, how hard can it be? Just keep everything like it is until 1 Jan 2015 when you change to the other pants and then swap fobs too. Sheesh!

Brian

But, but, but Brian! I have two pairs of pants, what ever shall I do?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 08:54:14 AM »
Oh, no worries!  I didnt' take it that way.  Believe me, no one could have made me feel more stupid than I felt halfway through a GREAT twisty ride when I peeked down and saw "transmitter missing" and realized what had happened. 

I think we miss-communicated there Jeff: I was not criticizing you or saying you did anything wrong. I am honestly trying to understand how the whole fob thing goes wrong. So if you took my tone as accusatory, please understand that was not and is not my intention.

By the way, I did not say put it in your jacket pocket and forget it- I too use different jackets and that would not work well for me either. I put the fob in my pants pocket. Again, exactly the same way most males manage a wallet.

And I too occasionally work on the bike in shorts and again, I put the fob in my shorts pocket when doing so. As I do not ride in shorts (ever- it would scare too many people), if I forget the fob in my shorts the bike simply would not start the next time I tried to use it.

Brian
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 09:26:08 AM »
See- exactly my point! I was (am) not trying to make you feel stupid or in any way magnify anything you did. Honestly. I am really trying to understand how / why the fob ended up on the seat in the first place so that maybe in the future, we can collectively gain knowledge about how to go about things, or avoid doing things, that have resulted in problems in the past.

People do things in different ways and usually we do not see at least some of the other ways a thing can be done. For example, some people attach a KiPass fob to a lanyard and hang it around their neck while riding. That would not have occurred to me and it is not a bad way to go I think.

So what I am trying to do is gather any information about the way people have trouble with fobs and / or KiPass so I can develop have active suggestions about what not to do.

As far as beating yourself up- we all 'step in it' now and then and losing a fob doesn't even make the top 10 IMO. No need to feel stupid; you made a mistake and will more than pay for it financially so no need to add emotional weight to that.

KiPass is coming up on seven years old but is still quite new to a lot of people buying their first C-14. So it is an on- going learning curve for the new folks. I am just trying to gain any information I can to suggest what I hope to be the best, easiest way for people in general but especially the people new to C-14's to have the fewest problems (hopefully none) and the greatest confidence in the system.

Brian

Oh, no worries!  I didnt' take it that way.  Believe me, no one could have made me feel more stupid than I felt halfway through a GREAT twisty ride when I peeked down and saw "transmitter missing" and realized what had happened.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 09:31:28 AM »
how would you attach a full-sized FOB to a lanyard?  If I remember correctly, mine didn't have a hole or slot or anything that you could attach to a split-ring/key ring.  (I think I might follow that advice on my spare FOB, that one has a hole in it for a keyring)

"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »
There is a very small slot (easy boys!) in a full- sized fob. It is just large enough to take a small tie- wrap or a small steel keyring. Of course you could use something like thin aircraft cable too- but you would have to conjure up a way to connect it to itself (brazing would work well). Then attach the small [ring, tie- wrap, whatever] to a larger ring on the lanyard.

Not my preferred method but I think it is a good method for a couple of reasons: 1) it is NOT likely to fall off or break in use (given a heavy lanyard) once put on, and you cannot start the bike without it. 2) it is not something you would take off while on a ride because it is not in the way, like a fob might be if you needed something in the same pocket as the fob. 3) it cannot 'fall' off without something breaking like a fob can fall out of a pocket. It also has the added advantage of allowing you to carry a few other small, light things you would only need for riding- a flashlight perhaps, a credit card for buying fuel and things like that.

If you go to a COG event, you will see quite a few people carry their fobs that way by the way.

Brian

how would you attach a full-sized FOB to a lanyard?  If I remember correctly, mine didn't have a hole or slot or anything that you could attach to a split-ring/key ring.  (I think I might follow that advice on my spare FOB, that one has a hole in it for a keyring)

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »
There is a very small slot (easy boys!) in a full- sized fob. It is just large enough to take a small tie- wrap or a small steel keyring. Of course you could use something like thin aircraft cable too- but you would have to conjure up a way to connect it to itself (brazing would work well). Then attach the small [ring, tie- wrap, whatever] to a larger ring on the lanyard.

That small loop is not drastically different from the small ones on small digital cameras... where you loop the lanyard thru itself to secure it to the camera. Not ideal for a keyring situation, but may afford an opportunity for someone smart to come up with a clever idea (likely not me). I did something similar... but used a zip tie thru the hole to hold a larger metal keyring (but the whole thing stays in my riding jacket for everything but garage maintenance).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »
Yep, that would work. Just be careful that whatever is attached to the fob is virtually indestructible because if the lanyard cord breaks, well then all this effort NOT to lose or misplace a fob goes out the window (actually it will slide down your leg and roll onto the highway but that is not important.....  :D ).

Perhaps a piece of electrical tape around the entire fob would help to anchor the lanyard? With a touch of Super glue on the end, the tap won't unravel and should just about last forever. I would NOT anchor the fob using tape but it would be a great 'helper' in addition to the small lanyard loop through the fob's slot (easy boys!).

Brian

That small loop is not drastically different from the small ones on small digital cameras... where you loop the lanyard thru itself to secure it to the camera. Not ideal for a keyring situation, but may afford an opportunity for someone smart to come up with a clever idea (likely not me). I did something similar... but used a zip tie thru the hole to hold a larger metal keyring (but the whole thing stays in my riding jacket for everything but garage maintenance).

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »

That looks familiar... tho my zip is black... but, green would compliment ZGs bike nicely!
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »
Just glue the thing to the back of your helmet!! Or, on the right side so that it balances your helmet with your Bluetooth device.

Actually, I just kept the FOB next to my helmet and stuck it in my front pants pocket when I went for a ride, or to the garage to work on the bike.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline clogan

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 05:01:45 PM »
Is that what you do? I saw a Connie at a BMW dealer where they left the fob in the glove box. I asked the sales guy about that security wise as they rolled it out by the road every day and left it for folks to look at. Seemed to me that with it in the glove box anyone in the know could jump on it and ride. He said no problem as not many folks know bout the active fob situation.....but he asked me how often I had to change the batts in my fob  as they had gone through a couple in just the few months they had it in on trade.

Actually, that IS what I do...except that I never remove the stove knob key, EVER. On the rare occaisions that I am worried about security, I remove the fob from the glove box and take it with me. But honestly, I cannot remember the last time I did that. I ride almost every day, and the fob stays in the glove box, and the stove knob key stays in the ignition. I change my fob battery once a year,  but have never had a problem. My car fob, on the other hand, requires a more frequent battery change.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
Actually, that IS what I do...except that I never remove the stove knob key, EVER. On the rare occaisions that I am worried about security, I remove the fob from the glove box and take it with me. But honestly, I cannot remember the last time I did that. I ride almost every day, and the fob stays in the glove box, and the stove knob key stays in the ignition. I change my fob battery once a year,  but have never had a problem.

:o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 05:21:55 AM »
C'mon Conrad, how hard can it be? Just keep everything like it is until 1 Jan 2015 when you change to the other pants and then swap fobs too. Sheesh!

Brian

Thank goodness you're here Brian! I don't know what I would have done without your advice. I guess I'll change the batteries when I change pants.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 05:51:50 AM »
You could duct tape this to you FOB....
http://www.wallettrackr.com/

http://youtu.be/ElJ7k5DuH5Y