Author Topic: &%#$@&!!! Lost the FOB (one whole week!). Suggestions?  (Read 26514 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: &%#$@&!!! Lost the FOB (one whole week!). Suggestions?
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 06:30:07 AM »
Well, you should be able to go two pants changes before needing batteries.

We should chat and work out a whole schedule for you....

:rotflmao:

Brian

Thank goodness you're here Brian! I don't know what I would have done without your advice. I guess I'll change the batteries when I change pants.    ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline catsfive

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2014, 09:56:26 PM »
Guys, after reading this thread, this is what I did:

For me, keepgin the FOB is about keeping it always in mind and in play. It's the way my brain works. So what I did was I threaded a little cable from a coffee thermos I had, then connected one of thsoe keychains that can disconnect for a different key that I might want to separate from the FOB (like when my GF takes the car). Just my two cents.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2014, 10:08:53 PM »
I just put mine in my pocket and roll with it.  But due to its mad pow-ah, I do put it down to rest each night on a fresh bed of roses

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2014, 03:59:26 AM »
Not a bad idea, Steve, treating the fob with the utmost of respect.  I have mine on a chain that's attached to one of my belt loops and it stays in my front pocket.  I don't leave home without it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2014, 04:34:17 AM »
Here's my solution.....
http://youtu.be/sKVj2V4-yPE

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2014, 04:45:31 AM »
That involves pain, of which I don't subscribe to.   :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2014, 06:59:47 AM »
Tell me young man, just how long have you had this fear of loosing your fob?

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »
Did Kawasaki invent a mini FOB for the C14?
Or is gPink going to implant his OEM FOB and where?   OOCH!!
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline coastalcop

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 10:53:29 AM »

Sorry about the Thread resurrection, but I figured another success story was in order.

Took my passive fob to the ACE hardware where they had the Itool  scanning device.

First I explained what I wanted and they looked at me like I was crazy (we cant cut a ford key for a Kawasaki).   after explaining it a couple more times they agreed to put the fob on the detector.

It recognized the fob right away and asked for information.   I told them to list it as a 2004 ford f-150.

I tool gave them a couple of choices and I got a rather expensive Ford key.    Ford the Ford key in the detector/writer device and a minute later its done.

Took it back to the house (where my 2011 connie is) left both the active and passive factory fobs in the house and proceeded to the garage with my new "Ford" key.

Placed it up against the KIPASS detector and.........SUCCESS.   It DOES work, allowed me to turn key and start the bike.

If they have the red itool device to detect/write RFID and a key to a FORD f-150, they CAN clone the rfid, you just may have to walk them through it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 11:17:22 AM »
 :thumbs: :goodpost:

Offline SofaKingFast

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2016, 11:31:09 AM »
Follow my advice for the future, if you replace your active FOB.  Have a metal key made- $4.  Put THAT in your pocket (or the passive fob and key).  Put your active FOB in a zippered pocket in your jacket and NEVER TAKE IT OUT... it is highly unlikely you will not have your riding jacket with you or leave it behind  :)  Only issue is in the summer, if you want to leave the jacket locked in the bike... that is a no-no, since it would be in range of the ignition and allow someone to start the bike.  In those rare cases, I move the active FOB to my pocket.

As for the price... yep, it is a rip off.  But same ripoff for most cars now too.  They really should include TWO active fobs and one passive.
:goodpost:
I don't ever want to worry about losing a key or FOB.  When I purchased my C14, I got an extra FOB and had 3 extra keys made.  I always leave one FOB and key at home. I carry the FOB in my zippered jacket pocket and never remove it.  I use one copied key to open the cases and fuel tank.  If I'm on a longer trip, I bring the passive FOB and extra key as backups.
Current bike 2016 C14, Gray
Previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 KZ1000
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline clogan

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2016, 12:24:17 PM »
Any ideas for best place to hide a spare passive fob on a C-14?

Theoretically speaking, of course.  :-X
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »
toolbox.....carry a spare key

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
Interesting.

If I may ask, how much was the Ford key? If it was less than around $50, that is not a bad price because the actual Kawasaki passive (credit card) fob is around $35 but then you have to add programming, which is usually about 1/2 of the dealer's tech. rate. So if the Ford key, programmed, was less than even $60, it is not a bad buy and you can always cut the actual key off of the key (the metal stud itself (Easy Boys!)) as the actual part you are after is in the key's handle.

Brian

Sorry about the Thread resurrection, but I figured another success story was in order.

Took my passive fob to the ACE hardware where they had the Itool  scanning device.

First I explained what I wanted and they looked at me like I was crazy (we cant cut a ford key for a Kawasaki).   after explaining it a couple more times they agreed to put the fob on the detector.

It recognized the fob right away and asked for information.   I told them to list it as a 2004 ford f-150.

I tool gave them a couple of choices and I got a rather expensive Ford key.    Ford the Ford key in the detector/writer device and a minute later its done.

Took it back to the house (where my 2011 connie is) left both the active and passive factory fobs in the house and proceeded to the garage with my new "Ford" key.

Placed it up against the KIPASS detector and.........SUCCESS.   It DOES work, allowed me to turn key and start the bike.

If they have the red itool device to detect/write RFID and a key to a FORD f-150, they CAN clone the rfid, you just may have to walk them through it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2016, 03:32:02 PM »
Sorry about the Thread resurrection

It is usually much better to post to an existing thread instead of creating numerous duplicates. So there is nothing to be sorry for!

Good info
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2016, 11:09:22 AM »
The dude who messed up has NOTHING on me. I was leaving for a 3k mile plus trip.  I use the key in the fob to open the side bags.  I left the fob in the open side bag, got on the bike and rode 5 miles.  Fob laying in open shell case.   I lost nothing.  Personal record for both stupidity and luck in the exact same moment.  I did pee down my leg when I saw what I had done.

So that's my problem, I hate using the stove knob key because it's so f'in hard to pull out with gloves and I'm paranoid about dropping it on the tank, so I end up taking the fob out of my pocket, which opens the door to all kinds of evil.

Losing the fob is a nightmare.  I did see something in the manual that said "NEVER PUT YOUR FOB in the glovebox", I think they were concerned about theft.  My red lights go  off frequently in the morning when I am riding to work and it says "Can't find fob" and it's IN MY F'IN POCKET.  What a turd of a system.  It's an answer to a problem that didn't exist, IMO.

I may do the Ford key thing, stick it under the seat and have a key made for the bags. 
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »
Hmmm, I carry mine in my pocket all the time and never had it go looking.  You might want to try replacing the fob battery if you haven't already done so.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
That's the first thing I did.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2016, 02:07:39 PM »
Take the tin foil out of your pocket.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2016, 02:09:58 PM »
I did a long time ago. I needed it all for my hat.