Author Topic: Buying a C10 Concours  (Read 3971 times)

shenandoahvalley

Buying a C10 Concours
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:28:02 PM »
I am in the process of buying an 06 Concours with a little over 31k on the clock and will take possession of the bike after the first of December.  While the final inspection is still to be done, the bike is being ridden regularly, appears to be in good condition, and the price was right.  While I am not at all new to motorcycles, haven ridden a lot of different bikes over the last 50 or so years, including Kawi's, Yamahas, Hondas, and...ahem...a couple of Harleys, I have not owned or ridden a Concours before.  I also currently ride an 08 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT on a regular basis.  I read the forum about things to look for at purchase (lots of good stuff there, made lotsa notes) but I have a few questions.  I would appreciated any comments from those who have made similar transitions about what to expect as far as ride, handling characteristics, vibrations, and as the bike is pretty much stock, what should I plan to do to improve long distance riding.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Buying a C10 Concours
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »
what should I plan to do to improve long distance riding.

Put a thousand miles on it. That will tell you what needs attention for your needs.

Edit to add:

I forgot. Welcome aboard.
 :chugbeer:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

shenandoahvalley

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
Thanks, SteveJ

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
Welcome aboard, also. Sometimes deep pockets help. Let the farkling begin. But, like Steve said, put some miles on the odo and time in the seat. :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »
Many new Connie riders are not ready for the top heavy slow speed the bike has.  Leads to many slow or stopped drops.  I didn't have a problem until my foot stuck under the shifter at a stop sign. Went down on the left.  Only real damage was my pride.  Then when the dog tipped it off the center stand and onto me while I was adding oil.  That time cost me a new mirror, and had to repair the antler.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
If you are bored and looking for things to do in our lovely VA weather this time of year, change all of the fluids out and maybe even replace the hoses if they are original.  It would also be a great time to add a connection for electric gear and a power outlet for any devices you might have (phone, GPS, etc.).

Murphs is a great place for all things Concours:

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:02:45 PM »
Shenandoah, I might also suggest attending the next COG or other Concours get together. You'll be able to talk to folks about mods that they have done, and some will really talk your ear off. :thumbs:

There is something coming up on the 23rd up in PA, hopefully the weather doesn't suck too bad.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,47548.0.html

Or... you could come down and see a bunch of bikes to our little get together in The Keys in Feb.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15347.0

I'm expecting about 15 to 30 riders. And the weather will most likely not suck. Avg high 76, avg low of 66.

Come on down and see us.

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

shenandoahvalley

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
Thanks a lot for the invite...I am throwing a small party on the 23rd for my mother who is turning 91 so I better not miss that or I might lose my inheritance.  The Keys in the winter sounds inviting.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 04:32:47 PM »
  A visit here is almost mandatory. Lots of info on the bike and what to look for plus what Kawasaki missed.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc