Author Topic: 2009 K14 ABS  (Read 2058 times)

Offline CJK

2009 K14 ABS
« on: August 22, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »
Hi, new to the forum here.

Yesterday I just bought a 2009 Concours 14 with ABS and I am trying to figure out several things.... 
First, what does this by-pass do for the fob?  Is this something I should have or will need at some point?  My bike only has 9800 km's on it...I'm in Canada.
Second, the TPMS battery issue.  Mine are dead.  Should I replace them or not bother and just check the pressure every so often?
Thirdly, is there one good fix to lower the pegs that you have heard? 

And finally, any other suggestions or things you think I should look into being a newbie?

Thank you for any info you can provide.  There's a lot of information to go through here sorry if I'm in the wrong place.
Clint

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 2009 K14 ABS
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »
Welcome, Clint.   That's quite a shopping list you have.   

• C14, not K14
  • The KIPASS BYPASS will get you going if the ignition switch doesn't engage the electronics and the bike won't start.   As you have an 09 probably not a bad insurance policy.  I have it on my bike.
  • The batteries can be replaced in the stock TPMS and get it back working again.   Not a real big deal to do.
  • You should check your tire pressure before every ride.
  • You can lower the passenger pegs.  Not sure about the rider pegs.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16850.0

I followed these instructions on how to R&R the sensors.  I searched online and found instructions on how to R&R the batteries.  Not too tough with a little soldering.

Ray
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:14:35 PM »
Hey Clint, congrats on the new ride- it is a great bike and most people like them very much.

The bypass: There is a small switch under the ignition key assembly that you actuate when you press down on the main key. That switch can stick and KiPass will then shut the system down to prevent killing the bikes' battery (the main battery) and will not reactivate until you break that circuit. But you cannot break that circuit because the switch is stuck. The by- pass allows you to break the circuit, start the bike and go on your merry way. It is not a true fix for the problem, that is usually done by the dealer (even on most bikes long out of warranty 'cause they know they 'stepped in it' with that design) but the by pass is used to prevent getting stuck, and it can be used as often as needed..... forever, really. Do you need it? The majority of C-14 owners will never use it but for those who do have the issue, it is quite handy. Many people have reported being 'saved' by the thing all over the country, two in Mexico and one outside the US. Think of it as a spare tire: do you need one? Not usually but when you do, it is a PITA not having one. It is not needed to use a normally and correctly operating C-14 of course.

Someone else already mentioned how to find information on how to remove the sensors and replace the batteries. I think the system is invaluable and more than worth maintaining but some people do not want it at all. It is not needed for using the bike of course.

My suggestion would be to ride the bike, read up on it a little (this place is good, and there are others as well), and then decide if there is something you need to change, want to try, etc. The bike is actually quite good stock, farkles just add to it and make it even better.

Best of luck with the new ride.

Brian

Yesterday I just bought a 2009 Concours 14 with ABS and I am trying to figure out several things.... 
First, what does this by-pass do for the fob?  Is this something I should have or will need at some point?  My bike only has 9800 km's on it...I'm in Canada.
Second, the TPMS battery issue.  Mine are dead.  Should I replace them or not bother and just check the pressure every so often?

And finally, any other suggestions or things you think I should look into being a newbie?

Thank you for any info you can provide.  There's a lot of information to go through here sorry if I'm in the wrong place.
Clint
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »

Welcome!

Not really.  If you have long legs, your best option is to get a taller seat.

Of course, you should definitely read the owner's manual.  The Concours has a lot of interesting features.  http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1748&lang_code=EN
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:00:35 PM »
........and ensure you flush the entire brake system with fresh DOT 4 fluid and every 2 years thereafter.  Some failed ABS units have shown up on the series 1 (non-linked) system whereby the rear pedal is rock-sold giving total rear brake failure.  Heaven forbid it happening to the front.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:59:03 PM »
And for God's sake, make sure the battery is in good condition and the leads and grounds are clean and tight.  I am the king of "search".....  trust me, I can throw dozens and dozens of threads at you showing what chaos a seemingly minor thing like that does to such an otherwise reliable, solid, well-designed bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc