Author Topic: Need a new rear tire, not too thrilled with the last one  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Organdonor

• Benjammin'
Need a new rear tire, not too thrilled with the last one
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:28:49 PM »
I have been running Pilot Roads since my first reshod. First Road 3's, then 4's. I'm not exactly thrilled with the wear life on them, but maybe they die soon due to my "assertive" riding style.

Anyone else running anything that they are impressed with?

Are there any current deals out there? I have three meats this fall, and I have a bad track record of showing steel on my way back from meats, so the older, more mature me would prefer to avoid that.

TIA!

edit: FYI, I've been running 195/55's
Ben Jammin'
New London, CT
Current: 09 C14 ABS & 2 KLR650's
Past: 87 CBR1000F; 97 CBR1100XX Blackbird; 07 GL1800

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Re: Need a new rear tire, not too thrilled with the last one
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 07:22:39 AM »
Love my Pirelli Angel GT-A's so far.  I ran PR for a while with no complaints.  I log 26,000 miles a year just commuting to/from work so I have to get use to replacing tires twice a year, at least.  In the end it just doesn't matter, tires wear out and have to be replaced.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:37:55 AM »
The PR series from Michelin have been the longest lasting tires on my C-14, as well as a lot of other C-14's (going by posts here, no numbers or actual data). So your search for a longer- lasting tire is going to be tough I think.

Angel ST's only went about half as long for me, and while Angel GTs did last a little longer than the ST's, they were still no where near the PR series, and felt like the bike was wearing truck tires when 1/2 of the tread was gone. The Michelins maintained most of their good manners all the way down to wear bars.

There may be sport touring tires out there with longer lasting tire compounds but I kinda' doubt it.

<looks to the left, looks to the right.... it seems safe right at the moment but climbs into bomb proof bunker anyway> Ahem, those looking for the longest life regarding motorcycle tires sometimes use car tires instead. Tremendous tire life. There is a size that will fit a C-14 and it has been done; a search on this forum or Google will turn it up I am sure. Just make sure you are wearing SPF 9,000 sun block before reading about this 'cause it is a very contentious topic that goes nuclear in about two posts. All of that said, it does work in the the tire fits the wheel, fits in the swingarm system, and will function on the bike. I have no first- hand experience other than riding on one one time, and found it not nearly as bad as I expected, but then again, thought just sitting on the bike would cause spontaneous combustion of the Northern Hemisphere so reality had to be an improvement.

Brian

I have been running Pilot Roads since my first reshod. First Road 3's, then 4's. I'm not exactly thrilled with the wear life on them, but maybe they die soon due to my "assertive" riding style.

Anyone else running anything that they are impressed with?

Are there any current deals out there? I have three meats this fall, and I have a bad track record of showing steel on my way back from meats, so the older, more mature me would prefer to avoid that.

TIA!

edit: FYI, I've been running 195/55's
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »
Jake Wilson has the 190/55ZR-17 (75W) Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T30 EVO-GT Rear for $149 with a $25 per tire rebate. Don't know how it will hold up but liked the price. Had a 023 on last. Got 6000 out of it which is the same I got from a non A spec angel.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:43 AM »
You almost got a comment on a tire thread. But I backspaced that Beach!
Nice try though. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
You almost got a comment on a tire thread. But I backspaced that Beach!
Nice try though. 8)

Here- I will do it:

Tire thread!!!!!!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Diablo6v

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »
Sure why not..I have run the PR3's, the PR4GT's and PR4's on my bike. The best wear and feel for me has been the PR4.  The GT's constantly cupped. I called Michelin after running over a piece of ceramic tile and tearing a 2" gash in the rear tire. It held air and did not blow even at 70. Until it had no air lol..I was told by a tire tech that the GT was designed to make the ride better for the passenger and the extra weight. I mostly ride solo and weigh about 190. So maybe that's why the 4's worked better for me. HTH  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »
Sure why not..I have run the PR3's, the PR4GT's and PR4's on my bike. The best wear and feel for me has been the PR4.  The GT's constantly cupped. I called Michelin after running over a piece of ceramic tile and tearing a 2" gash in the rear tire. It held air and did not blow even at 70. Until it had no air lol..I was told by a tire tech that the GT was designed to make the ride better for the passenger and the extra weight. I mostly ride solo and weigh about 190. So maybe that's why the 4's worked better for me. HTH  :)

I am only 150lb and ride solo, my PR4 GT didn't cup. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 08:34:44 AM »
I got very good tire life out of the BS T30.  I put on quite a few miles, so replacing in matched sets is not always a priority not going to happen. 

Typical life is 2500-4200 from fronts using Dunlop Roadsmart II, Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3, Pirelli Angel GT, and more.  I live in the mountains and like to drag the pegs a bit.

The T30 went 6000 miles.  So that was pretty great.  Not as good as a CAR TYRE of course.  But those go on the rear anyway.   

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »
I had T30's on front and back and wasn't happy with the "feel" of them. They didn't give me confidence going into corners and are now gone and replaced by PR4 GT's. When I replaced the rear, I noticed an immediate change in the feel of the bike and now with the front replaced as well, it's even better.

Just my take.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips