Author Topic: Front tire what are you running  (Read 7753 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Front tire what are you running
« on: December 01, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »
It's time again for a front tire, i'm looking for a long lasting tire, No BT45's that tire is shot and needs changing befor the rear tire, horrible tread life and not very good in general.

The avon roadrider lasted me over 19k and was good up till 12k then started to wear uneven, but still i can't beleave i got 19k so that might be my best bet. but limited tire selection on my 86 connie i wanted to see what others are running.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
Re: Front tire what are you running
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:23:56 PM »
My bike came to me with Pirelli's already on it and the rear tire felt like a brick and was worn within 2500 miles, so they are near the end of their lifespan, but the front tire runs very well.  I haven't really run the bike hard since swapping the rear to the Shinko, so I don't know how the front Pirelli will handle with that rear tire combo, but on the highway, it's fine.

EDIT:  I should mention that my bike reads a minimum of 5mph faster than it's actually going - minimum.  That's got to be due to tire size, right?

"This is where I place a funny comment."

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 03:29:30 PM »
If it's reading 5 mph faster than your actually going, the wheel diameter is on the small side of stock.
(ie; Small diameters spin faster)
To improve the speedo accuracy, the tire OD needs to be larger.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Jim __

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »
I switched from BT45's to the PR3 front and Shinko 777 rear.  I have 8K on the PR3 and treadware is still even.  Based on tread depth measurements, I should get ~11 to 12K out of this tire (@ 38psi).  For comparison, I got 10K out of the BT45 front.  The PR3 is rock solid in curves, wet roads and works very well with the 777.  Although, the 777 will induce some high speed wobble once the flat spot starts expanding.  The BT45 front gave me a vague feeling when pushed hard in turns and I never really felt comfortable on wet roads especially those with patchy wet spots.  I will gladly sacrifice a little mileage for more adhesion so I'm sticking with the PR3/777 combo.

Can't give you an absolute value on speedo error but between 50 and 60 it is within 1 mph when compared with those portable, radar equipped "Your Speed" signs you see occasionally on the highway.

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 09:09:44 AM »
If it's reading 5 mph faster than your actually going, the wheel diameter is on the small side of stock.
(ie; Small diameters spin faster)
To improve the speedo accuracy, the tire OD needs to be larger.

Ride safe, Ted

Exactly what I was thinking - so that means expect bad readings if you go with the Pirelli front tire.

"This is where I place a funny comment."

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 03:29:38 PM »
I now have 11k on the BT45 front and its riding on the wear bar, i guess i was spoiled with the 18,920 miles on the avon road rider and that tire was not even on the wear bar when i removed it, it was close but i probably had another 500 miles left on the tire.

the roadrider had a low speed wobble and at around 12k it started cupping or just wearing uneven and oddly but it still felt and handled better then the BT45, the uneven wear could have been my fault for not checking the pressure more often but i'm starting to think that's gonna be the longest lasting tire in the 110/80/18

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 10:04:11 AM »
Jet86:

I'm riding an '86 also and the limited choices of tires,especially the front, has worried me for some time. I'm running the Azaro tires now and am considering the bias Road Rider AM 26 rear and AM26 universal for the front. (The online Avon site doesn't show a front designated Road Rider AM26 as a front, but designates it as a "universal" AM26 110/80V18). Any idea how that bias combination works out? I'm not a knee dragger or even close to riding the Connie to it's potential, but I enjoy the power and the way it handles in the curves.
And, of course, there is the cost factor. The tire shop I'm considering recommends radials and doesn't have any rider feedback on the bias type tire. I have another bike that's in need of tires also, so I'm going to have to buy two sets of tires for the bikes and cost will more than likely influence my decision this go 'round.
Any feed back from your perspective would be appreciated.

Bob Young
COG #5753
Bob Young

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 08:44:06 PM »
sorry for late reply, think i got around 7,500 from the roadrider rear and almost 19k roadrider front, i would go with the shinko 777 rear and roadrider front, that worked good for me, i get 11k or better from the shinko 777 rear, right now on my 2nd 777 with 12k on it and still looks good.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »
I've run about six or seven sets of the Mich PR3 Shinko777 combo. This combo  works well for me. Pretty much agree on the earlier post on this combo and the PR3 stays excellent to the end. My first and last Avon AM26 had about 40000 (Oops!, sh/be 4000)miles on it when it started to come apart. That and previous history with Avons have ruled that brand out for me unless I'm stuck somewhere with no other choice.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:48:47 AM by SteveJ. »
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 05:24:57 PM »
I've run about six or seven sets of the Mich PR3 Shinko777 combo. This combo  works well for me. Pretty much agree on the earlier post on this combo and the PR3 stays excellent to the end. My first and last Avon AM26 had about 40000 miles on it when it started to come apart. That and previous history with Avons have ruled that brand out for me unless I'm stuck somewhere with no other choice.

40000?  :o You go to the darkside?  ;)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 06:50:34 AM »
40000?  :o You go to the darkside?  ;)

Fixtaficated. It musta been cuz that was my first day of retirement and I was dealing with job separation syndrome. Yeah, that's it. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :chugbeer:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 08:41:11 AM »
Going to try the Shinko Verge 011 front to go with the 777HD rear (which has been very good so far). Haven't got it mounted yet, but it's waiting for warmer weather.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 08:50:59 AM »
I have had Bridgestone Battleax BT 45 tires for 4,269 miles.  Bike is an 87 with 81,919 miles which I've had since new.  I'm not sure how deep the tread was when new but right now my tires still look good.  The rear might be wearing more than the front.   The rear has 3.5mm tread depth minimum, and the front is 3mm.

Ride style is conservative, Nebraska stuff.   

Handling is ok.  Front seems a little twitchier/sensitive vs the other tires I've run which mainly include OEM Dunlops and Dunlop 205, and Metzelers.  The twitchiness might be go down if I run 36psi vs 40 but I haven't payed much attention to trying that.  I need to make it a point to take a few minutes and give it a try. 

I just looked at the Bridgestone site and don't see the rear tire anymore in the 150-16 size.  hmmm
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 11:30:13 PM »
I only use Michelin Pilot road 3 or 4. Have used them on my last 3x bikes (ZX12, ZX14 and BMW K1200GT), and is a great all weather tyre. Wet or dry, it grips. With the heavier bikes like the C14 or the BMW, make sure that you buy the GT version of the PR3/4.

It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 10:24:01 PM »
Mich PR4 GT
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »
Still squeezing the life out of my 2nd Pilot GT front.  I'll probably go with an Avon Cobra front (130/70R18) to complement my Avon Venom rear when the GT front's treads finally get worn down to the minimum acceptable depth.

Not sure what I'll go with once the Venom rear wears out (it has a long way to go)  I'm fairly happy with it actually, but I've been watching the tire threads here.

Looking at squeezing around 18-19K, possibly 20K out of the 2nd GT front.  That's about what I got out of the last GT front.  It's still sitting in my garage in case I need an 'emergency spare'.

I want the Pilot GT's to come back into production, but alas that's not gonna happen.
 :(
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 06:36:09 AM »
I'm riding an '86 also and the limited choices of tires,especially the front, has worried me for some time. I'm running the Azaro tires now and am considering the bias Road Rider AM 26 rear and AM26 universal for the front. (The online Avon site doesn't show a front designated Road Rider AM26 as a front, but designates it as a "universal" AM26 110/80V18). Any idea how that bias combination works out?

My favorite set so far is the current set I’m using on my '87.  It is an Avon Road Rider AM26 on the front (universal) and a rear Avon Venom AM42.  This set, for me anyway, is AWESOME.  Great cornering and not a slip in the wet yet.  This is a bias set.  I think the Avon Cobra AV72 is an updated version (maybe) since the AM42 is seeming to be harder to find.  I tried to stick with radials but got tired of the higher price for no real gains I could tell.  The Shinko SE890 Journey radial was a tire I wanted to be “the one” (for a great price) but is was as slick as the long-wearing Michelin 880 rear – and lasted just as long.  I hated that 890, especially in the rain and cold, but just couldn’t throw the tire away.  The pic is the first one I ran.  I got a full season plus out of it, then bought another one.  No chicken strips on the rear either.  They stick very well.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 02:36:20 AM »
RFH87_Connie

That pic of the front road rider looks exactly like mine did, i can see the uneven wear on the sides like you been riding lots of corners.
mine started to look like that at around 11-12k but it did not really bother me and it still handled pretty good and i took it off at close to 19k.

i did not really do any curvy riding so i guess that's just the way that tire wears and is normal.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 11:02:51 AM »
When you have a tire that is cupping, there is a temporary remedy.

The uneven wear can be smoothed with a body grinder.
Just spin the wheel and grind as it rotates, {cut at a 45* angle so the grinder rotates the wheel as it cuts}.
Take your time and you can remove the high sections.
With a little practice, (and if you don't wait too long before doing it) it can improve the ride and get more miles out of the tire.

NOTE: This is a temporary fix. But it will give you more time on the tire.
          Yes, I know your removing rubber, so (you may think) tire life is being decreased.
           But, your removing it from the thicker side area of the tire,,, not the center.
             And, if the tire is so bad your going to get ride of the tire, why not extend it a little until you new tire arrives?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Tzigane

• Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 11:35:50 AM »
I've never had anything else besides BT45 on them, still happy!
Photography : www.masque-obscura.nl