Author Topic: Dropping 1 cylinder while riding  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Dropping 1 cylinder while riding
« on: April 02, 2016, 09:28:56 AM »
Had this happen a couple times earlier this week. She will drop a cylinder and run on 3 for a short spell, then come back and run fine. I pilled the tank, checked coils and wires and plugs, all fine.
Some history, 111k on her 2001 clock, all original electronics and a rebuilt J box. Good solid battery terminals and connections. No loose wires at the starter or anywhere near the battery stuff.
I am suspecting that I might have a coil that is possibly loosing its guts, but I will bend a knee to the masses for some input.
Looking forward to see some responses, and with my baby in pieces, I will be monitoring this closely.
Thanks all.
Ride safe   Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Dropping 1 cylinder while riding
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 01:16:13 PM »
Water intermittently clogging a pilot jet?

A glug of methyl alcohol might cure.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 04:21:11 PM »
Water intermittently clogging a pilot jet?

A glug of methyl alcohol might cure.

My thoughts too....

If your running stock coils your not going to drop just one cylinder if a coil is going south, you will drop 2 cylinders. If you have a bad spark plug wire or cap then you can lose one cylinder. And for the cost throw in a new set of spark plugs to rule them out...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 05:16:26 PM »
Agree. Bad gas or perhaps a plug wire/cap.
Remove the wires from the coils. Test the wire thru the cap with an ohm meter. There is a 5K resistor in the cap, so you should have aprox 5K ohms thru each wire. I had one get corroded up around the resistor (they are removable). It tested higher than the others. Took it apart and cleaned it all up and it was fine again.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »
Thanks for the input. The water is a good thought, I did get gas at a station I am not used to using. I do use Isoheat in every tank full, so hopefully it will clear with some fresh gas. I did the ohm and all checked out and plugs were new in the fall and still look new. So narowing it down as quickly as possible. Sunday is supposed to be rideable with winds below 15 mph, as opposed to 45 mph gusts today.
Thanks again, and ride safe.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Jim __

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 02:07:31 PM »
Could be a sticking float needle (opened or closed).  If it comes and goes like a switch, i'd guess electrical.  But if it spits and and sputters for a couple of seconds it maybe starved for fuel.  Do you have overflow tubes and, if so, are all the bowl share a single drain line?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 03:36:43 PM »
Thanks for the input. The water is a good thought, I did get gas at a station I am not used to using. I do use Isoheat in every tank full, so hopefully it will clear with some fresh gas. I did the ohm and all checked out and plugs were new in the fall and still look new. So narowing it down as quickly as possible. Sunday is supposed to be rideable with winds below 15 mph, as opposed to 45 mph gusts today.
Thanks again, and ride safe.
Greg

hey Greg... nice to hear from ya... you been Hiding???

My bet is on that crappy Ohio fuel... drain the floatbowls into a jar, and see if there ar globs in it...
And add a Full bottle of IsoHeet, and run the tank out completely to get that water outta the mix.

man, it's colder than a w/t here on the shore... they postponed the Indians' home opener... brrrrrrrrr I'm done with this snow/sun/snow/sun thing...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..