Author Topic: Inspect the batteries of tire pressure sensors after 6 years. Kawasaki GTR 1400  (Read 9050 times)

Offline MGvaleri

Ugocon  ;D...amico mio x favore "Traduci" :battle:

Questi 2 sensori Ruota ANT/POST/sono con batterie a 3v che servono per alimentare i 2 dispositivi che lavorano ad onde radio per la trasmissione al quadro strumenti per i valori del KPA-PSI degli pneumatici.
Avendo avuto segnalazioni dal display batteria scarica sia a ruota ant/post. ho verificato il tutto,ma  la batteria del sensore del pneumatico è in piena forma.3,3v "Mistero".

http://youtu.be/1-qxSLMz1LQ

MGvalerio 8)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:50:34 AM by MGvaleri »
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline Conrad

I have a bunch of new CR2025s and CR2032s 3v lithium batteries here at work that I use for different things. I just tested the voltage of several of these and they all test out at ~3.3v. I would say that if yours are showing 3.0v, they're on their way out. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Shoe

If you feel the need for inspection of the battery after 6 yrs. then you might as well replace the battery or the sensor.

P.S. I am battling a similar problem with my Nissan Xterra. After six years and only 35K mile the sensors are still good but the computer is the issue. The sad part is I bought an extended warranty and it has expired. >:(
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline chap

Great video showing how to check the battery. At 3 v replace the battery. Infact if you have it apart, just change the battery anyway. Most of the work is already done. thanks for posting this.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Nice video MG! I'll be replacing my batteries the next time I change tires.

Offline ugocon

Ugocon  ;D...amico mio x favore "Traduci" :battle:

Questi 2 sensori Ruota ANT/POST/sono con batterie a 3v che servono per alimentare i 2 dispositivi che lavorano ad onde radio per la trasmissione al quadro strumenti per i valori del KPA-PSI degli pneumatici.
Avendo avuto segnalazioni dal display batteria scarica sia a ruota ant/post. ho verificato il tutto,ma  la batteria del sensore del pneumatico è in piena forma.3,3v "Mistero".
MGvalerio 8)

Valerio, I think our friends here have already understood the sense of your video. (penso abbiano già capito cosa vuoi dire)
I will recap it anyway:

Valerio gets a "no battery" warning on the display for the tire pressure sensors.
He then wants to check the battery and, as you can see in the video, he reads a voltage of 3,03 V.
He is amazed because, according to him, with such voltage the sensors should work.

Well Valerio, if the batteries produced 3,3 V you would be right: this means a working battery.
But you didn't measure 3,3, you read 3,03 V instead (zeros are important ;) ) thus almost 0,3 V lower than it should be: a lot!

In the end, you are mounting exhaust batteries and you need to replace them. If they lasted 6 years, you've been very lucky! :)

Italian for him:
Valerio, le batterie devono segnare 3,3 V per funzionare, ma tu ne hai misurati 3,03, circa 0,3 V di meno: te credo che non funzionano più!
Le devi sostituire.
Se sono durate 6 anni, sei stato molto fortunato! :)

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
I replaced my rear battery last month.  It was 5 and a half years and 100,000 miles old. It was still working fine but I replaced it since I was changing a tire and wanted to try the change procedure. The old battery measured 2.9 volts with my digital multimeter.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
If you feel the need for inspection of the battery after 6 yrs. then you might as well replace the battery or the sensor.

+1

Why on earth would anyone go to the effort of "checking" the batteries without replacing them if it has been over 3 years???
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ugocon

BTW, talking about duration...
My KiPass battery lasted one year and a half only, but I think that the power involved is greater: anyway far from the 6 years of the pressure sensors.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
BTW, talking about duration...
My KiPass battery lasted one year and a half only, but I think that the power involved is greater: anyway far from the 6 years of the pressure sensors.

The Kawasaki active RFID FOB is listening a signal constantly, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  Yes, it uses a lot more power than the TPM sensors which simply sleep most of the time.  The battery in the active fob tends to last about two years.  Interestingly, the active RFID FOB for my Infiniti car also lasted about two years.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

The Kawasaki active RFID FOB is broadcasting a signal every few seconds, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  Yes, it uses a lot more power.  The battery in them tends to last about two years.  Interestingly, the active RFID FOB for my Infiniti car also lasted about two years.

No Max, it does not 'broadcast a signal every few seconds, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.'

When the stove knob is pressed down the bike sends out a signal to all the fobs in range. When the fob 'sees' this signal it replies with it's own signal. The bike looks at this signal to see if this is an 'authorized' fob and it if is, the bike unlocks the ignition and allows the key to be turned to the start position.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Yep, what Conrad said. The fobs are polled (easy boys!) by the KiPass ECU before they respond with an RF signal.

The TPS sensors also turn on / off but it is the rotation of the wheel that turns them on. Actually it is centripetal force, or the force in the direction of the valve stem directly toward the wheel's axle (the force that keep the string tight when you swing something on the end of a string in a circle).

Brian

No Max, it does not 'broadcast a signal every few seconds, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.'

When the stove knob is pressed down the bike sends out a signal to all the fobs in range. When the fob 'sees' this signal it replies with it's own signal. The bike looks at this signal to see if this is an 'authorized' fob and it if is, the bike unlocks the ignition and allows the key to be turned to the start position.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver

Sorry, I stand corrected (temporary insanity).  The active fob is "listening" constantly, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and that does require constant power.

Other posting corrected also.  Thanks

Offline MGvaleri

This will reduce battery v.0, 40.occorrono batteries tab.

http://youtu.be/bNe2Lc0pJ6w

MGvalerio. :(

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:36:28 PM by MGvaleri »
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline texrider

Why risk heat damage to a new battery? Just make the tabs a slide fit.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline ugocon

Why risk heat damage to a new battery? Just make the tabs a slide fit.

mmmm....
Don't forget that the batteries are spinning fast with the wheel, plus the bumps....
Perhaps soldering them is the best way to secure them.