Author Topic: New C14 Owner...did I make a mistake?  (Read 9641 times)

Offline MMMOTORCYCLE

New C14 Owner...did I make a mistake?
« on: May 08, 2016, 08:09:00 AM »
So I found a deal on a left over 2014 C14, cut the check and took her home. Went on a 100 mile ride and thought I made a HUGE mistake (not one Im willing to admit to my wife!).

I could barely move after. The stock seat, in my opinion, is the worst Ive ever sat on (soft foam bottoming out on the pan and forward cant) The noise/buffeting from the stock windshield is horrible. Amazingly, if I crouched down about 1.5"....silence, like I have never experienced on a motorcycle. You could have a conversation wearing full face helmets in that zone?!?

Seat was sent out the next day to Spencers. V stream windshield and HeliBar risers installed. I wont have the seat back for another week to see if it all makes a difference.

I really want a his bike to fit, has always been on my radar and have heard great things.

If anyone in the Chicagoland area has a seat sitting on a shelf I could borrow for a week, I would greatly  appreciate it :-)

MichaelMichaelMotorcycle
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 03:17:03 PM by MMMOTORCYCLE »

Offline coastalcop

Re: New C14 Owner...did I make a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »
Your height/weight/sleeve length/inseam?

Aftermarket windshield is almost considered a given.

Risers do make a difference too. 

Trust me, the bike can be fit to most riders,  after the flash it's even better.   

I have "flat ass " disorder,  can't fill out the back of spandex ( there's an image  :-[ ). Most bikes kill me after 200 miles.   I use a laam seat and 500+ mile days are comfy now .

As a short term solution an air hawk can make a big difference ( and can be used on the passenger section when the lady rides with you.

I went the other way, removed risers and wedges too off tall stream and installed cee Bailey short windscreen in prep for a 4000+ mile loop this summer.   6'3" 190lbs 33 inseam 36 sleeve. 

With the short screen up its quiet , with it down I get air to my chest ( something I want in summer).

Don't give up yet..... Oh btw most farkles can be passed through the misses by explaining how it will make her riding experience better, and if she is long legged, passenger peg drop/offsets are recommended

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 08:59:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Seat, windscreen, and handle bar position are basic ergonomic modifications. Everything else are just farkles.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 09:07:33 AM »
I'm not sure what you are used to riding, I had an Electra Glide before I got my C14. I have 2 inch risers, a V-Stream windshield, and a Sergeant seat. 1000 mile days on either bike is a non issue. I'm 5-10, 175, in reasonably good shape, with a 33 inch inseam, 34 sleeve. I too suffer from noassatall.

Ergonomics are a very personal thing. Once you get dialed in, I believe you will find the C14 to be an amazing machine.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline harry76

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 09:52:16 AM »
If you felt like meeting in Indianapolis you could try my bike, V Stream windshield, Saddleman seat, two inch risers and wedges.
It is very comfortable for me at 6'1".

Offline MMMOTORCYCLE

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 03:15:56 PM »
Harry76,
I might, just to check out your Saddlemen. Which model is it?

And what are "wedges"?

Gonna have to wait til end of this week or next for my seat to come back from Spencers...

I will have a better feel how my V-Stream, Helibar risers and seat work together then.

Thanks for all the info.

MichaelMichaelMotorcycle

Offline harry76

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 07:27:07 PM »
My seat is the Explorer RS, the wedges go under the handle bars tilting them to a more comfortable angle and brings them closer together.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »
mmm, you might want to check this out, also:http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=914.0
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 08:26:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum MMM! I had a similar experience 6 years and 65,000 miles ago. Handle bars was the most major thing to fix it. I eventually got to Horizon ST totally adjustable bars from HeliBars. Second, CB ultra tour domed wind shield. Went through 4 seats, Spencers, Russel, Lamm now Corbin. Also installed canyon cages with highway pegs. Obviously I spent a bit (but got most of my money back on the Russel and Lamm seats) but now the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden and have done 900+ mile days on this bike.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 01:33:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the access to all the info you'll ever need.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 04:51:59 AM »
So I found a deal on a left over 2014 C14, cut the check and took her home. Went on a 100 mile ride and thought I made a HUGE mistake (not one Im willing to admit to my wife!).

I could barely move after. The stock seat, in my opinion, is the worst Ive ever sat on (soft foam bottoming out on the pan and forward cant) The noise/buffeting from the stock windshield is horrible. Amazingly, if I crouched down about 1.5"....silence, like I have never experienced on a motorcycle. You could have a conversation wearing full face helmets in that zone?!?

Seat was sent out the next day to Spencers. V stream windshield and HeliBar risers installed. I wont have the seat back for another week to see if it all makes a difference.

I really want a his bike to fit, has always been on my radar and have heard great things.

If anyone in the Chicagoland area has a seat sitting on a shelf I could borrow for a week, I would greatly  appreciate it :-)

MichaelMichaelMotorcycle

Welcome MMM!

As for your windshield needing to be raised 1.5" to get into the quite zone. You did use the button to raise the shield right?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 06:27:25 AM »
You did use the button to raise the shield right?    ;)

:rotflmao:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 03:58:43 PM »
when I purchased my C14, having 2 C10's in my garage, both with Corbin seats on them, and having never ridden or sat on a C14 (7-7-07)
I talked briefly with the sales guy, and explained I wanted to sit on it for a half hour... come back and tell me when a half hour elapses... I handed him my cell phone, which I set to alarm in a half hour,  he smiled at me and said, no problem....

its interesting to think about, but man, when you are spending $14k, you better be aware.
during the 30 minutes, I busied myself with reaching controls, studying the feel, ergo, and operational do dads, and tried different seating and reaching functions.. I admit, sitting still on that bike, for a half hour.... without placing my feet on the floor or changing from "operator position" was a challenge, and did produce a sense of "this isn't perfectly comfortable... (I'll return to this in a moment)... but when he walked back and said, "sorry, I ran over on the time because I was on a call", and asked if it was all cool... I said let's write this up, gimme a card I can write "sold... do not touch" on, and a piece of tape...

he did, and I signed and said I'll see ya on Monday...
I did a 1100  mile round trip in 24 hours to my credit union to pick up a check for this bike, on my C10, and picked it up, and never changed a thing ergo wise to the C14...to this day.

I admit, the seat kinda sucks, my azz gets sore, but I have logged many 500-700 milendays on it, many with my wife asleep behind me..

yeah, I may make a change to my seat, but I can't pay someone else to make a seat for my butt, its gotta be a trial and ride thing, and I ain't gonna do $2k in various trials, to find one that I like. ( some folks here have easily spent that much searching to find one acceptable...)
my C10's I got lucky on, I found the C10 configuration from Corbin, perfect for me, and if it had not been for those, I never would have logged the miles I have. saying this, I don't see the Corbin C14 seat being idealnyet, as it is not in anyway similar to the C10 seats fitment and pressure points... time will tell, I wouldn't buy a seat I didn't try... and being a COG owner, and member, I can always pry a seat from someone for a "day test" at a rally...

best of luck on getting the bike to fit you, a lot has to do with you learning to fit yourself to the bike also...and 100 miles on a new bike is like wearing a pair of shoes in the store for 4 minutes. Trying a pair of pants on, and finding them tight, but thinking I'll buy em, is about the same.

ridensafe,

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 06:55:22 AM »
when I purchased my C14, having 2 C10's in my garage, both with Corbin seats on them, and having never ridden or sat on a C14 (7-7-07)
I talked briefly with the sales guy, and explained I wanted to sit on it for a half hour... come back and tell me when a half hour elapses... I handed him my cell phone, which I set to alarm in a half hour,  he smiled at me and said, no problem....

its interesting to think about, but man, when you are spending $14k, you better be aware.
during the 30 minutes, I busied myself with reaching controls, studying the feel, ergo, and operational do dads, and tried different seating and reaching functions.. I admit, sitting still on that bike, for a half hour.... without placing my feet on the floor or changing from "operator position" was a challenge, and did produce a sense of "this isn't perfectly comfortable... (I'll return to this in a moment)... but when he walked back and said, "sorry, I ran over on the time because I was on a call", and asked if it was all cool... I said let's write this up, gimme a card I can write "sold... do not touch" on, and a piece of tape...

he did, and I signed and said I'll see ya on Monday...
I did a 1100  mile round trip in 24 hours to my credit union to pick up a check for this bike, on my C10, and picked it up, and never changed a thing ergo wise to the C14...to this day.

I admit, the seat kinda sucks, my azz gets sore, but I have logged many 500-700 milendays on it, many with my wife asleep behind me..

yeah, I may make a change to my seat, but I can't pay someone else to make a seat for my butt, its gotta be a trial and ride thing, and I ain't gonna do $2k in various trials, to find one that I like. ( some folks here have easily spent that much searching to find one acceptable...)
my C10's I got lucky on, I found the C10 configuration from Corbin, perfect for me, and if it had not been for those, I never would have logged the miles I have. saying this, I don't see the Corbin C14 seat being idealnyet, as it is not in anyway similar to the C10 seats fitment and pressure points... time will tell, I wouldn't buy a seat I didn't try... and being a COG owner, and member, I can always pry a seat from someone for a "day test" at a rally...

best of luck on getting the bike to fit you, a lot has to do with you learning to fit yourself to the bike also...and 100 miles on a new bike is like wearing a pair of shoes in the store for 4 minutes. Trying a pair of pants on, and finding them tight, but thinking I'll buy em, is about the same.

ridensafe,

All great advice right there. I'm one of the folks that spent a bundle finding the right seat, not 2k, but too much. I now have 2 bikes with Corbin seats and if I ever get another bike I will probably go directly to Corbin. But I think this is key: "a lot has to do with you learning to fit yourself to the bike".

Offline MMMOTORCYCLE

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 09:36:11 PM »
Conrad...yes it was all the way up  :o

I got my Spencer seat back. It is definetely firmer, but will take some breaking in before I know how well it fits my rear.

The Helibars and V stream were good investments to meet my needs.

Ordered highway pegs yesterday.

That should give me a good starting point  ;)

Offline SofaKingFast

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »
For me, the highway pegs make a huge difference in comfort when riding long distances.  I have always stayed with the stock seat, and it works fine for me.  Ability to raise your legs, sit back a bit farther in the seat, and get some airflow under your butt add significantly to the riding comfort. 
Current bike 2016 C14, Gray
Previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 KZ1000
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Zacharykro6

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 12:56:37 PM »
I rode mine home from the dealer (over 100 miles) and I was thinking the same thing. every bike takes some getting used to and now that I have put over 1000 miles on it I am comfortable with the minor parts I have swapped (still want a nice aftermarket seat)

The first things were the murphs lowering pegs, ram mount on the clutch m/c, fender extender and grip puppies (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and I purchased a short oem windscreen from a forum member that has made a big difference.
Every thing I drive is special and makes me excited just looking at it

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
6-3 240 here. Bought a 2011 holdover this past fall... 5years old-new! I don't mind the stock seat or the peg locations. I am using an Airhawk R to log 500-600 mile days, but now I'm trying to ride without the pad. I agree there is a bit of slope, but I haven't had an issue with the foam density yet. If I make it long enough with this bike to warrant a seat change, I will go with Loren Mock over at Baldwin Saddles. He made a great seat to my exact specs for my ZR7, so I know what to expect. I put on 2-inch risers, but they only make a small difference.

The stock screen isn't terrible; hot weather is pretty good. It did way better than I expected through 300 miles of rain at 37 degrees F. I got a Puig screen and it takes care of the noise and buffeting, but it does wiggle because it is thin. I just picked up a CB UTD 17-inch and it is a high quality piece of plastic. Will probably be my winter shield, but I'm testing it now in Arkansas 90-100F heat. For all but the worst weather don't overlook a short screen with a good helmet, although neck strain and forehead pressure becomes an issue.

The Connie is definitely a compromise bike as it sits on the floor. You have to fit it to yourself, which is part of the fun. Good luck!!
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline MMMOTORCYCLE

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 01:47:24 PM »
So Im still not in love with my bikes ergos. Today I installed "Phil's now Murph's wedges" and went for a ride to test them out. About a minute into the ride I notice a red light and NO TRANSPONDER on the screen......Crap, where is my FOB???

This KIPASS system sucks! Long story short, I found it on the road only to see it being run over by multiple vehicles as they passed...its toast.

Any leads on the best price for a replacement? ThumperTalk is the lowest Ive found at $268.63!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 03:31:36 PM »
Sounds like kipass operated as advertised. It's your fob retention that sucks. Did you recover parts from the fob to see if the passive chip was salvageable?