Author Topic: Over 55 and a Verizon Wireless customer?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Conrad

Over 55 and a Verizon Wireless customer?
« on: July 28, 2018, 08:42:48 AM »
For a limited time, and in select markets, Verizon is offering half price unlimited data plans.

I just changed my plan and with two lines of unlimited data it's costing me under $90 per month out the door.   

Check your account online and see if you can take advantage of this great deal.

Disclaimer, I'm in no way affiliated with Verizon.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:48:42 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Over 55 and a Verizon Wireless customer?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »
For nearly a year, T-Mobile has been offering 2 phone lines, unlimited everything, for those 55 and over for only $60 a month, although it recently went up to $70 a month (for those not already on it).  And unlike Verizon, that is ACTUALLY $70 (it includes all taxes, fees, EVERYTHING) so there is no $4-$8 extra surprise each month.  And the data slowdown limit is more than twice as high than Verizon.  And it is not for a limited time and is available everywhere.  And their customer service is fantastic.  I can't use that plan, because I am not old enough ;)  but recommended to several others (of course, ANY T-Mobile plan is much less than Verizon or AT&T).

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55

Of course, T-Mobile might not be appropriate for all locations.  They have a large network (at least as big as AT&T) that works very well (unlike Sprint), is fast or faster than Verizon and AT&T, and the phones use real SIM cards, so you can swap phones by just moving a card with zero carrier involvement (unlike Sprint and Verizon).   Verizon does have better coverage in some remote areas, however (and Sprint is much worse).  If you have not checked the service map in the last few years, you might be shocked...

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map?icid=WMM_TMNG_COVERAGE_Q6528IRU1VS10566

Like you, I have no vested interest in any wireless carrier.  Just providing info...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline FTB530

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 11:12:47 AM »
I bought one of those Verizon unlimited data plans / hotspot a year or so ago and it is not unlimited, once I use so many gigs they throttle me,

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »
I bought one of those Verizon unlimited data plans / hotspot a year or so ago and it is not unlimited, once I use so many gigs they throttle me,

That is the new definition of "unlimited."  All the carriers do it now.  Once a subscriber reaches a certain "cap", they will throttle the data speed tremendously.  It is an unfortunate side-effect of video.  Why?  Because video consumes maybe 1,000 more data than anything else and people are addicted to it.

So you have unlimited data... just not unlimited speed all the time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
For nearly a year, T-Mobile has been offering 2 phone lines, unlimited everything, for those 55 and over for only $60 a month, although it recently went up to $70 a month (for those not already on it).  And unlike Verizon, that is ACTUALLY $70 (it includes all taxes, fees, EVERYTHING) so there is no $4-$8 extra surprise each month.  And the data slowdown limit is more than twice as high than Verizon.  And it is not for a limited time and is available everywhere.  And their customer service is fantastic.  I can't use that plan, because I am not old enough ;)  but recommended to several others (of course, ANY T-Mobile plan is much less than Verizon or AT&T).

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55

Of course, T-Mobile might not be appropriate for all locations.  They have a large network (at least as big as AT&T) that works very well (unlike Sprint), is fast or faster than Verizon and AT&T, and the phones use real SIM cards, so you can swap phones by just moving a card with zero carrier involvement (unlike Sprint and Verizon).   Verizon does have better coverage in some remote areas, however (and Sprint is much worse).  If you have not checked the service map in the last few years, you might be shocked...

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map?icid=WMM_TMNG_COVERAGE_Q6528IRU1VS10566

Like you, I have no vested interest in any wireless carrier.  Just providing info...

I agree with Max, I thought Verizon was OK and paying $110./mo. for 4 gigs data until a T-Mobile lady (right next door to Verizon in the mall) seduced me into switching over. They paid off my $500. LG phone from Verizon, paid off the rest of the 2 yr. contract and gave me an 8 inch Alacatel tablet free. Now I pay $60./mo. unlimited everything, no contract and get Netflix free- I ain't never lookin' back. But it makes me think how lucrative that business must be...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 03:19:27 PM »
I agree with Max, I thought Verizon was OK and paying $110./mo. for 4 gigs data until a T-Mobile lady (right next door to Verizon in the mall) seduced me into switching over. They paid off my $500. LG phone from Verizon, paid off the rest of the 2 yr. contract and gave me an 8 inch Alacatel tablet free. Now I pay $60./mo. unlimited everything, no contract and get Netflix free- I ain't never lookin' back. But it makes me think how lucrative that business must be...

I am not > 55, so not eligible for the $60/mo (now $70/mo for new customers).  But they twice let me change plans to something better, the last time being something they don't advertise....  unlimited everything except data is 6GB per line (which is at least three to four times what I would ever need or have ever used, then it just throttles after that), TWO LINES, no Netflix, $80.24/mo!!

When I bought a new Moto G5+ phone on Amazon, I discovered the SIM didn't fit.... there are no activation fees on T-Mobile (unlike most carriers), but still needed a new SIM card.  Walked into a T-Mobile store and they replaced it with the newer smaller one FOR FREE, and in just 2 minutes, and were super-friendly and helpful (like every interaction I have had with them, online, on the phone, or in a store, over the last 4+ years).

Few weeks later, did the same thing for Mom when I went to visit her in another city.  Exact same experience.

At work we still use Sprint... had to activate a new pre-purchased phone on their network (get a SIM card AND programming, since they don't really tie the SIM to the service).  Had to wait 20 minutes for help, then it took them 20 minutes just for them to figure it out, AND they charged us $25.  I left Sprint for home use after being a customer for 16 years- I couldn't stand the horrible technology problems, billing problems, and generally poor customer service anymore.  Best decision EVER.

Now this thing with T-Mobile trying to merge with (more like buy) Sprint, it makes me nervous.  If it actually happens, I hope they don't change or inherit any bad Sprint behaviors and problems.  Trying to keep an open mind...

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »
I like T-Mobile. I have 6 unlimited lines and an unlimited tablet for $235 per month. Pretty reasonable. Every phone and tablet were free with monthly reimbursement. Pretty hard to find deals like this now.
I spent 19+years with AT&T/Cingular. Once they stopped offering free phones, I started looking elsewhere.
Joel from Maine.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 07:14:14 AM »
I/we don't use much cell data. We (my wife, mother, sister and I) have a Consumer Cellular unlimited talk/text plan with a bunch of data that we normally only use a fraction of each month. All four lines of service costs less than $94/month. We all run "smart phones" one uses an iPhone.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 07:31:03 AM »
I/we don't use much cell data. We (my wife, mother, sister and I) have a Consumer Cellular unlimited talk/text plan with a bunch of data that we normally only use a fraction of each month. All four lines of service costs less than $94/month.

The obsession with gobs of data is usually confined to these three types of people:

1) Those who have no WiFi or broadband Internet at home (yikes).
2) Those who don't understand WiFi or can't manage/bother to turn it on/keep it on.
2) Those who are addicted to mobile video.

I don't know about most of you, I love video, but not on phones; I will take my 30" computer monitor or 80" UHDTV + mega surround sound system anytime :)  Sure, I read the news/weather/mail and play games and such on my phone in spare time when out, but that just doesn't use hardly any data.

Since the term "unlimited" is pretty much meaningless now, it is best to just refer to the "cap" as how much data you bought.  T-Mobile's cap with their current mainstream "unlimited" plan is 50GB.  Since I use about 1GB, maybe 2GB under unusual circumstances,  "unlimited" would end up costing me much more than my current 6GB plan.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 07:31:36 AM »
I/we don't use much cell data. We (my wife, mother, sister and I) have a Consumer Cellular unlimited talk/text plan with a bunch of data that we normally only use a fraction of each month. All four lines of service costs less than $94/month. We all run "smart phones" one uses an iPhone.

I had a 4gb plan previous to signing up for unlimited. Normally for my wife and I 4gb would be enough. Now that she's retired we're camping much more and the campgrounds have spotty wifi coverage at best. So I need more data for when I uses my cell as a hotspot.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 09:06:03 AM »
I had a 4gb plan previous to signing up for unlimited. Normally for my wife and I 4gb would be enough.

When shopping for multi-line plans, make sure you know if the amount of data and/or the cap is PER LINE or PER ACCOUNT.  My first T-Mobile plan was per account, so the data was SHARED between the two lines.  All current plans (and what I use now) are PER LINE, so what the other person(s) does has no affect on what you do.  There is a huge difference between 4GB per line and 4GB per account.

Now that she's retired we're camping much more and the campgrounds have spotty wifi coverage at best. So I need more data for when I uses my cell as a hotspot.

Yep, that is one of those conditions where more data is important.  As long as people realize "unlimited" is not really "unlimited".  Once the cap is reached on most networks, the data rate is so slow, it is painful even to just browse a static web site.  Video isn't possible.  Mapping can take over a minute just to draw one area.

Also, when camping and such, especially if you stop in lots of "nowheres", good coverage is essential.... that is where Verizon will [expensively] shine.  If you stick to interstates, major roads, and reasonably populated areas, all the carriers will generally do fine nowadays.