Author Topic: Gold wheels...  (Read 34494 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Gold wheels...
« on: April 26, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
Has anyone ever anodized a set of wheels??

I picked up another set of wheels off ebay and would like to have them done in the same gold color as my Ohlins forks.  8)

I talked to my powder coater and he said that would be a hard color to match with powder coat..  :(

I talked to my painter and they said that would be a hard color to match with paint...  :(

It seems like my next option is to have them anodized gold...  :-\

I want to change this color...

To this color...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:59:49 PM by ZG »

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: anodizing wheels?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »
 :popcorn:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ssbraun

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »
I was going to have some pieces for a luggage system I made anodized; never got around to it, although I have connections through work.  I know there is something called "hard" anodizing that is supposed to be more durable.  The colour selection was impressive; you should be able to almost perfectly match the anodizing on the ohlins.  Sounds expensive...but it would probably look great.
Good luck!

Cheers  :chugbeer:
Ayrton Senna ... "Oh, dat fla tie rella fack up ebertang!"
Past rides...'83 GS750ES,'84 GS750SE (Canada only),'85 FJ1100;'98VTR1000F Firestorm;'07GSX-R1000
Current ride...'12 C14 Candy Arabian Red (even faster than black and silver!!)

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
Just go for it, ZG...

http://www.superiormetalfinishing.com/finishes.html

Those are the guys that did the black nickel plating on my upper triple clamp and gasshole ring.  8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:35:20 PM »
I think I'm gonna go meet with these guys next week to discuss, they are local to me and from their website it looks like they do some pretty cool custom anodizing so I'd think they could probably handle it, not sure about the cost though...  :-\

http://www.pioneermetal.com/pioneer_metal_fx

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »
You could always send them to Ohlins.  They could retool the factory to accomodate your wheels and you would get an exact match.  Nothing that money can't buy. ;D
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
Or we could golf every other day on your dime.... Save ya tons of money.

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »
A candy paint should be able to come fairly close to that IMO.  A fine silver base with a gold candy would give the depth and vibrance the forks have.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 11:11:46 PM »
Has anyone ever anodized a set of wheels??
Not me.

I want to change this color...

To this color...

I can't imagine why  ::)

Anodizing is a fairly simple process. Prep the base metal to the finish you want, then have it anodized :) The process is basically an electrolytic acid dip, followed by a dip in a dye. Final result can be most any color of the rainbow. Hard Anodize is a different animal, but the process is similar. And a clear anodize (not like you want this) is a 'clear' dye. Raw anodize is VERY receptive to colorings... even a blue non permanent marker (ask me how I know this)

Since it's not a coating, like paint or powder coating, prep of the base metal is quite important. Any defects will show in the final product.

May be a stretch, but alodine *may* work. The final product is a spiffy golden patina, but the patina depends on the aluminum composition (2024, 6061, etc.), and it may not be that durable if subjected to physical abuse (road crap).

Alodine is readily available at most auto-body jobbers. Can be applied with no major investment in equipment (cotton swabs or a dip tank), but it's poisonous. It's a chromium (or cadmium?) solution. Rubber gloves mandatory (it'll stain your skin a most golden yellow). If you pour it down the drain, do so from Gumby's  house.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 07:27:29 AM »
Rubber gloves mandatory (it'll stain your skin a most golden yellow). If you pour it down the drain, do so from Gumby's  house.
???

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 08:50:10 AM »
If you pour it down the drain, do so from Gumby's house.

;D :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
So I went out to a local anodizing shop today and discussed with them some options...

We looked at some of the gold samples they'd done and found one pretty close, what do ya'll think??  :-\

I also dropped the wheels off today at another shop to be soda-blasted. The anodize shop said all the paint needed to be removed prior to anodizing and that soda blasting would be the best option to not affect the texture. So after a quick search I found a guy in town that does it, $150 and he should be done on Wednesday so that I can pick them back up and get em over to the anodize shop...

Why is it that nothing is ever easy with my ideas...  :-\

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »
The bling factor just got raised !
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »
Just put the gold wheels on the golden green blazed and call it a day!  8)   
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
Just put the gold wheels on the golden green blazed and call it a day!  8)

I've been thinking of trying that just to see what they'd look like AZ, but the vision for these wheels is for the matte black bodywork.  ;) 8)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 11:08:09 PM »
So I went out to a local anodizing shop today and discussed with them some options...

We looked at some of the gold samples they'd done and found one pretty close, what do ya'll think??  :-\

I also dropped the wheels off today at another shop to be soda-blasted. The anodize shop said all the paint needed to be removed prior to anodizing and that soda blasting would be the best option to not affect the texture. So after a quick search I found a guy in town that does it, $150 and he should be done on Wednesday so that I can pick them back up and get em over to the anodize shop...

Why is it that nothing is ever easy with my ideas...  :-\

Maybe because you have too many of them? Oh and time and money as well.   :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 07:18:20 AM »
I think it is just too much work to be swapping wheels and plastic. You seem to have the ebay search feature down pat so I say you start looking for a bike with wrecked plastic and just have 2 of them.  :)
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 07:27:02 AM »
I think it is just too much work to be swapping wheels and plastic. You seem to have the ebay search feature down pat so I say you start looking for a bike with wrecked plastic and just have 2 of them.  :)
That is a great ide!!  He could get his suspension done by racetech, anodize the tubes the same flat black as the bike will be, get the DLC coating on the shafts, same for the rear with a black spring.  Do the full on turbo and keep the bike as sleek as possible.