Author Topic: Precision Engineering: Lowering Links  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
Precision Engineering: Lowering Links
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »
A real nice product and there is not much to say after that other than they are real easy to install (If you have all the crap I have to do most anything mechanical).
It sits just a little tail high from level and as you can see no modifications are needed to the side stand.
I also bought the handle bar risers (1") just in case I want to drop the trees down some but I will ride it like this first. I have done this lowering thing enough times to already know it won't effect the handling in a negative way but lowering the center of gravity always makes a difference plus it's only an inch.
My inseam is 34" so I had no problems reaching the ground but I was about to start Yoga classes so I could limber up enough to swing my leg over the bags without kicking them, this is one of the main reasons I lowered it.
The ZX14 Saddle lowers it some also, maybe an inch?
This C14 is a lot harder to get on and off of compared to my FJR. The step over on the FJR is lower and so is the seat but not now!

Offline Cuda

Re: Precision Engineering: Lowering Links
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:35:22 PM »
I bought a set but never installed them , tell us what the feel is like?  I'm in the 33 to 34 area , flat foot both feet but wish I was a little lower, I don't have a center stand because of the ZX dual exhaust,  so I was thinking of using the adjustable ones ,  and going 1/2 " at a time .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:33:09 PM »
I took it for a short ride and fell it rides better, nothing unusual here because I have always felt this way after lowering my previous bikes.
Without exception in every forum I visited in the past someone has had a problem with adjustable links bending in the threaded part including a C14.
These links catch hell so I would made sure I bought some really tough adjustable links if you must.
An inch (a the seat) is not much but it's really noticeable.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:10:04 AM »
wish i had that inseam to flatfoot, 5'9 here and both balls of my feet is as much as i can touch. seems strange that without a height challenge you would lower the bike.    :chugbeer:

red 09 here too, damn yours looks clean. any tips ??
(55k miles in 3 years on mine.)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 06:39:40 AM »
wish i had that inseam to flatfoot, 5'9 here and both balls of my feet is as much as i can touch.

Give me a break.  Boo hoo....

Try being 5'7 with a 26.5" inseam (BTW- your height makes generally no difference, only your inseam matters in this case).  Only my TIPPIE TOES of ONE FOOT would touch without lowering the bike, seat, and raising my boots.  So that NOW the balls of my feet are as much as I can touch, and that is only if I sit forward in the seat and try hard.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »
I would think if you have a short inseam that it would be difficult to push this bike backwards up a shallow incline or in crushed concrete

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »
I would think if you have a short inseam that it would be difficult to push this bike backwards up a shallow incline or in crushed concrete

It is, indeed.  I have to be extra careful where I park when I must go backwards to get out.  Fortunately I haven't been trapped yet... had a few close calls (and that was on one of my previous bikes) so it trained me.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »
seems strange that without a height challenge you would lower the bike.    :chugbeer:

It's just easier  to move the bike around , a 700 lb. bike that is.

I cheat getting on and off the bike , I step on the foot pegs  .

I have a Corbin Smuggler on at all times which makes getting on harder.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:46:32 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 10:18:54 AM »
Where to start? I can reach the floor better when riding it on to the lift, better handling in all conditions, easier leg over the bags when mounting.
When you loose your footing with an extended leg your usually screwed because all you have now are hip flexors to handle the load. How does this happen to people with a long inseam? (when pushing backwards).
I'm 6'1" @ 270, I don't step on the peg with my weight, it might be OK but maybe not? I'm a little over weight and when @ 215 my body fat is under 10%. (Think lineman for the Cowboys) 

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 07:50:35 AM »
I can still get it on the center stand with a little more effort.