Author Topic: Bike recently serviced, now getting hotter in traffic  (Read 5699 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Bike recently serviced, now getting hotter in traffic
« on: July 12, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »
Hello fellow riders. I have a 2009, with 74,000 miles which is running perfectly. However it has been some time since I had the valves checked, and I have a big trip coming up so I wanted to double check the valves. I took it to the dealer, they checked the valves, changed the valve cover gasket and they also replaced the spark plugs while they were in there. All valves were within spec and the bike is still running perfect. On my way home from the dealer yesterday, the bike performed fine on the freeway, but once I was in the city in stop and go traffic, the temp gauge seemed to remain at the top of the scale, and the fan pretty much ran the entire time. It was quite hot when I started the ride, somewhere around 90, but by the time I got to the city, it was only around 62. I could smell antifreeze at each stoplight.

This morning I made sure to ride again, and the entire ride it was around 58-60 out. Freeway riding of course was normal, but at every stop once I got off the freeway, the temp would spike and the fan would run. Once moving on the city streets the gauge would go down two notches from the top. I could smell antifreeze not at every stop, but a few of the stops.

Could it be it's just time to flush the radiator? Could it be I need a new thermostat, does it have one? Is it likely this was somehow caused by the work done at the dealer? Seems unlikely, but the timing is too much of a hint. What am I not thinking of?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:38:34 PM by MrPepsi »
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline tbanzer

Re: Bike recently serviced, now getting hotter in traffic
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »
Sounds like air in cooling system.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:11:58 AM »
It's not necessary to drain the coolant to perform a valve service.  But some do, and they remove the radiator in order to get some extra "elbow" room so to speak.  I suppose it's possible that an air bubble may have formed and the system needs to be purged.  Did you check the overflow tank level?  If that empties it's possible for the system to take up some air.  The level should always be above the MIN line.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm thinking I may just do a flush.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
Hello fellow riders. I have a 2009, with 74,000 miles which is running perfectly. However it has been some time since I had the valves checked, and I have a big trip coming up so I wanted to double check the valves. I took it to the dealer, they checked the valves, changed the valve cover gasket and they also replaced the spark plugs while they were in there. All valves were within spec (and have been every time since new) and the bike is still running perfect. On my way home from the dealer yesterday, the bike performed fine on the freeway, but once I was in the city in stop and go traffic, the temp gauge seemed to remain at the top of the scale, and the fan pretty much ran the entire time. It was quite hot when I started the ride, somewhere around 90, but by the time I got to the city, it was only around 62. I could smell antifreeze at each stoplight.

The idea that this bike has gone 74,000 miles without even one of the 16 valves getting out of spec is impossible for me to believe.  While I wish it were not the case, it's not at all unheard of for a dealer to simply pronounce your valves "OK" and hand you a bill without actually doing anything.  You could be the 1:1,000,000 exception but that's unlikely.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 11:26:06 AM »
A little late but to bad you didn't have them do it while they had  it undressed.  When I did my valves I took the opportunity to remove and flush cooling system.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »
A little late but to bad you didn't have them do it while they had  it undressed.  When I did my valves I took the opportunity to remove and flush cooling system.

Agreed.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
The idea that this bike has gone 74,000 miles without even one of the 16 valves getting out of spec is impossible for me to believe.  While I wish it were not the case, it's not at all unheard of for a dealer to simply pronounce your valves "OK" and hand you a bill without actually doing anything.  You could be the 1:1,000,000 exception but that's unlikely.

This is the first time this dealer has checked the valves, and I've had them checked by someone I trust very much three times prior to this. Also, I don't think I'm the only one who has had this result. While unlikely, I think your odds are way off.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 12:15:50 PM »
I bought my bike from this individual who got the valves checked by a local mechanic 6k miles prior. Talked to the mechanic who mentioned that he removed the radiator to do the valve job, which is normal. I realized the coolant overflow tank was empty upon initial inspection. Replacing the brake & clutch fluids a couple days later, I had to remove the left lower fairinguesque rubber thingy to bleed the clutch. Noticed lots of blue crud around one of the hoses which is where the coolant was leaking from. Tightening that hose clamp and topping off the coolant. Bike's fine now.

I would check the coolant overflow tank, if it's low, look for a leak around the radiator hoses.
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 12:16:52 PM »
Perfect, I will do exactly that.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 04:02:44 PM »
This is the first time this dealer has checked the valves, and I've had them checked by someone I trust very much three times prior to this. Also, I don't think I'm the only one who has had this result. While unlikely, I think your odds are way off.

Slight topic shift, but were they out of spec any of the first three times?  (To me, that sounds like checking 4 times in 74,000 miles is a lot).

My first response was going to be "air in the cooling system?" but others said it already.  Checked the manual, and it doesn't call for removing the radiator for a valve check, but, as also said, perhaps they did this for some reason and let air in or coolant is low.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 05:32:45 PM »
It's not necessary to drain the coolant to perform a valve service.  But some do, and they remove the radiator in order to get some extra "elbow" room so to speak.  I suppose it's possible that an air bubble may have formed and the system needs to be purged.  Did you check the overflow tank level?  If that empties it's possible for the system to take up some air.  The level should always be above the MIN line.

I don't recall the O/P saying he removed the radiator cap, and looked at the coolant level in the radiator... would have been my first step...

please elaborate about this so we all can understand, myself included.
I ask this, as this bikes cooling flow path, and parts, while possibly being able to have a bubble form if something was diconnected, would have said bubble purged thru the current designed systems hose from the w/p back up to below the sealing surface of the rad cap. This bike has an 'improved' system, with an actual 'purging hose', that pretty much expells trapped air, directly back up to the radiator top. Unlike the C10, which needed purging either / or from both the w/p bolt, or the bleeder on the thermo housing.
look closely at the cooling sytems diagram, in the FSM, and you will see what I mean.
only air that can 'remain' in the system, after starting and running, will reside at the top of the radiator, right below the cap, and topping that off, and filling the o/f bottle to it's 'fill line' will suffice to effect a full system... so, if the bike is NOT leaking coolant, it really can't suck air into the radiator from an empty reservoir bottle.

sounding to me, like during the valve adjust, the radiator was disconnected and tipped forward, and when reconnected, never refilled correctly, or had the clamps tightened up right.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
Generally speaking, I am not a fan (no pun intended) of coincidences like this one so I too would suspect something happened during the valve lash check.

There are two fans on the bike, and it is possible they simply forgot to plug one back in; such a condition would not create any errors and you would still hear the fan running but with 1/2 of the fan capacity, it might not be enough to keep the bike cool. It is absolutely the first, easiest thing to look at IMO.

Second is the coolant level, it should be quite stable in height around the MAX / MIN lines on the overflow bottle. If not, it sounds like the dealer should be responsible to fill the system as needed if they in any way altered / removed any part of the cooling system (as already mentioned, this is NOT needed for a valve lash check and/ or adjust).

Best of luck with this Brent and do let us know how it goes.

Brian

Hello fellow riders. I have a 2009, with 74,000 miles which is running perfectly. However it has been some time since I had the valves checked, and I have a big trip coming up so I wanted to double check the valves. I took it to the dealer, they checked the valves, changed the valve cover gasket and they also replaced the spark plugs while they were in there. All valves were within spec and the bike is still running perfect. On my way home from the dealer yesterday, the bike performed fine on the freeway, but once I was in the city in stop and go traffic, the temp gauge seemed to remain at the top of the scale, and the fan pretty much ran the entire time. It was quite hot when I started the ride, somewhere around 90, but by the time I got to the city, it was only around 62. I could smell antifreeze at each stoplight.

This morning I made sure to ride again, and the entire ride it was around 58-60 out. Freeway riding of course was normal, but at every stop once I got off the freeway, the temp would spike and the fan would run. Once moving on the city streets the gauge would go down two notches from the top. I could smell antifreeze not at every stop, but a few of the stops.

Could it be it's just time to flush the radiator? Could it be I need a new thermostat, does it have one? Is it likely this was somehow caused by the work done at the dealer? Seems unlikely, but the timing is too much of a hint. What am I not thinking of?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »
I do not think that statement is correct Rich- the overflow or reservoir bottle is there to account for expansion / contraction of the radiator fluid. It does that by accepting the excess from the radiator when it is hot, and the liquid expands, but when the radiator and engine cool and the coolant again contracts, the coolant is drawn from the overflow bottle via the small hose at the top of the radiator. So if the overflow tank is empty while the system is hot, it absolutely will suck air from the overflow bottle as everything cools down.

Brian

<snip>

... so, if the bike is NOT leaking coolant, it really can't suck air into the radiator from an empty reservoir bottle.

sounding to me, like during the valve adjust, the radiator was disconnected and tipped forward, and when reconnected, never refilled correctly, or had the clamps tightened up right.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 08:04:38 AM »
On my ride home on Thursday, I had coolant leaking down the side of the bike and onto my boot. Of course I immediately called the dealer and he asked me to check if the overflow had liquid in it, which it did. He said it should be safe to ride back, but I still plan to check the radiator coolant level too. I won't be riding it until I ride it back to them on Wednesday. He said thank you for giving us the chance to make things right. I would hope if he takes everything apart, I would be willing to pay for new coolant and some compensation for labor for a flushing since it's time.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »
Slight topic shift, but were they out of spec any of the first three times?  (To me, that sounds like checking 4 times in 74,000 miles is a lot).

I checked my records and it is in fact only three total. Once at 16k, and another at 53k. Always in spec, but most don't believe me on that.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 01:07:24 PM »
I do not think that statement is correct Rich- the overflow or reservoir bottle is there to account for expansion / contraction of the radiator fluid. It does that by accepting the excess from the radiator when it is hot, and the liquid expands, but when the radiator and engine cool and the coolant again contracts, the coolant is drawn from the overflow bottle via the small hose at the top of the radiator. So if the overflow tank is empty while the system is hot, it absolutely will suck air from the overflow bottle as everything cools down.

Brian

mmmmm.....
we can agree to disagree...
if you go back, and read the full body of what i said, that you pulled the quote from, you will see the first thing I wrote beginning that post.
IF the radiator is completely full (right up to the neck, as it should be), AND IF there are no leaks allowing a loss of coolant from anywhere in the system, then it cannot occur, as any burped out coolant will flow to the bottle, and be returned to the radiator when the system cools..so a completely full radiator can't suck in air, when it's full of coolant...  or am I wrong?
 :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :_shudder_Emoticon

anyway, I think Brent has it covered now, and they can also check to see if they plugged both the fans in when they inspect... :D

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »
Both fans were running when I arrived at home yesterday.

A full radiator, brought up to temperature will as you say expel fluid as the temp climbs. Then could suck in air if there was a leak in the overflow bottle that would allow the excess to leak out and only leave air, as the radiator temp cools.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
Have you checked the overflow when the bike's level and cold yet?
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
Not yet, but I will when I get home.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"