Author Topic: broken footpeg again  (Read 4264 times)

joelthebiker

broken footpeg again
« on: October 26, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »
Ok, this top-heavy bike is starting to aggravate me.  I am 5'11" and weigh 300# and aint no weakling, but when this bike decides it doesn't want to stand up, there is nothing you can do.  Seems like if it starts to tip, it gains weight.  I have broken the right side footpeg off a second time in a week( once due to leaves in the driveway and once because I grabbed the front brake while turning-and I know better).  I have tip-over bars on it but there is still too much pressure on the peg when it falls.  The outer part of the bracket is very weak.  Has anyone built their own out of steel?  I am considering it and it looks very do-able.  This part should not break so easy.  I thought the peg would just fold up, but it doesn't because of the angle it folds.  Luckily I have 2 spare OEM peg mounts, but I am looking for a more permanent solution(other than not dropping the bike-LOL).

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: broken footpeg again
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 07:58:34 AM »
Ok, this top-heavy bike is starting to aggravate me.  I am 5'11" and weigh 300# and aint no weakling, but when this bike decides it doesn't want to stand up, there is nothing you can do.  Seems like if it starts to tip, it gains weight.  I have broken the right side footpeg off a second time in a week( once due to leaves in the driveway and once because I grabbed the front brake while turning-and I know better).  I have tip-over bars on it but there is still too much pressure on the peg when it falls.  The outer part of the bracket is very weak.  Has anyone built their own out of steel?  I am considering it and it looks very do-able.  This part should not break so easy.  I thought the peg would just fold up, but it doesn't because of the angle it folds.  Luckily I have 2 spare OEM peg mounts, but I am looking for a more permanent solution(other than not dropping the bike-LOL).
I don't have the stock pegs any more, nor do I have one handy to look at, but I know that there is a bit you can grind off of them to allow them to fold better.  When they fold they hit a stop, which then breaks the bracket.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:19:45 AM »
I had two c-10's over about 10 years and replaced three right side and two left side pegs. One peg broke standing on it for a railroad crossing and another when my friend was climbing on the bike to move it. Very poor design! So far almost two years with my c14 with a drop on both sides and a deer strike and the pegs are doing just fine, they must have learned something at mother Kawa!
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 08:36:54 AM »
You already know the easiest solution. Don't drop the bike. (but most of us have dropped ours)
Outback is correct. Other than a poor design, the reason the bracket breaks is the footpeg travel is limited.
Grind off the material on the footpeg that limits how far it can fold. (Top, rounded area)
Will help reduce the breaking problem.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I have a welder friend that has repaired mine in the past. It's do-able but welder has to be top notch as the part is cast aluminum.

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »
 Making it out of steel would just transfer the stress to other parts. It could be more costly in the long run. Unless you have access to a mill and or a welder it would cost much more to have one made. That being said I have welded mine (both sides) and bought a spare off someone on the forum.

Jack

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »
The last time my bike went down, the right peg survived, but the mount broke off instead.  I'm not clear as to whether this was broken when the bike went down or when drunk people felt the need to right it (using the peg as a handhold) after a drunk guy caused the bike to go over, but this is much more annoying than just the peg breaking.  Currently I have a bolt doing peg duty, as I'm low on funds.  Also, I haven't found a new Aluminum guy locally to do the welding work, that will handle such a small job... plus this also involves the rear brake assembly.  I recently had an acquaintance weld one of my sidebag brackets, but it took months to get that back, as he kept leaving it at another location... so I wasn't about to decommission the bike to fix my pedal for months on end, especially during riding season.

I currently have bolts on both sides of the bike (left peg was torn off, along with the left passenger peg when the bike went down a while ago).  Passenger pegs are removed.  I have a suitable part to fix the passenger peg mount (weld didn't take), but haven't felt the need.  This is one reason why I don't have any current bike pics posted; I'm a little embarrassed about all the cracks in the fairings and such... but she still runs fine at least.

And I did the peg grind beforehand, btw., when I first bought the bike.  When you remove the peg, you'll see the 'tab' that stops the peg from retracting completely.  A few minutes with a Dremel or whatever, grinding this into a round shape will allow the peg to fully retract.  This will save your pegs a good amount of the time, but not every time.

So I can definitely relate to this.  If this bike was still in production, I could see a market for steel pegs, and steel peg mounts.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

joelthebiker

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 07:46:02 AM »
Actually it was the peg mount that broke on mine, not the peg itself.  I am going to remove the nub on the footpeg because I think it dug in and kept the peg from folding instead.

Offline JP

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 09:11:45 AM »
If I remember correctly, some chose not to grind the little nub down.
I didn't grind mine because a peg is cheaper than a bag.
I do carry 10mm stripper bolts at all times.(emergency foot pegs)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:17:35 AM »
well, I realize nobody wants to hear "I told you so" but you may recall that I posted that Murph's kneesavers are designed to fold up on tipovers to prevent breaking the peg or bracket - and yes, it really does work.  Steve

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »
OK, my sob story. Sat. I pulled into a gas station to refill. While turning slowing with my feet down I stepped into either some spilled oil or gas and went down on the right side. The fall broke both the peg and bracket that I had jut replaced a couple of weeks ago. Yes I had ground down the peg to allow it to fold up. This is, I think my 3rd. Each it has broken both the peg and bracket. I need to put a stop to this. I have a couple of Ideas. I'll let you know if they have any merit.
PS I'm on my 29 bike and this is the only one to break a foot peg or bracket when dropped.