Author Topic: Connie 14 rod bearing noise (or why does my C14 rattle in the morning?)  (Read 42829 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Connie 14 rod bearing noise when first started in morning
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:16 AM »
Yeah, what he said... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline pistole

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »
If anyone snickers at me due to the rattle for a few seconds after start up, I would ask them how it sounds from the rear as I'm pulling away.

agree !

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 08:53:19 AM »
THIS THREAD DESERVES A BUMP  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »
THIS THREAD DESERVES A BUMP  ;D

Well ok then. My bike no longer makes the start up death rattle. I installed one of these:

http://ape-store.com/shopsite/page6.html

Easy peasy no more noise, life is good.  8)

Offline SevenAce

• Left Lane Passing Only
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
Side stand leans the bike to the left, tensioner is on the right…
Other factors to consider but this is pretty simple to understand. Never occurred to me before this thread.

Bimmer folk, mostly K-Bike Bimmer folk - are SOO jealous of the Connie. It's ok. The chain rattle just distracts them from their whiny fuel pumps, questionable ABS pumps, hardly serviceable and highly problematic rear shock, and the nagging wonder of when the tranny, splines or rear-end are gonna cause a wreck or leave them stranded! Sorry BMW - you were the only game in town. Thank you Kawasaki!!

My K75s always smoked at start up because oil weeped past the valve cover when on the side stand. Try explaining that to people for 115,000 miles - the bike is fine, really, just not meant to be parked(!)

Whether you think you can or can't you're right!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 09:13:03 AM »
Side stand leans the bike to the left, tensioner is on the right…
Other factors to consider but this is pretty simple to understand. Never occurred to me before this thread.

Bimmer folk, mostly K-Bike Bimmer folk - are SOO jealous of the Connie. It's ok. The chain rattle just distracts them from their whiny fuel pumps, questionable ABS pumps, hardly serviceable and highly problematic rear shock, and the nagging wonder of when the tranny, splines or rear-end are gonna cause a wreck or leave them stranded! Sorry BMW - you were the only game in town. Thank you Kawasaki!!

My K75s always smoked at start up because oil weeped past the valve cover when on the side stand. Try explaining that to people for 115,000 miles - the bike is fine, really, just not meant to be parked(!)

What about the Yamaha FJR, Triumph Sprint, Honda 1300, Ducati Multi-Strata, etc etc etc etc etc
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »
What about them?  Are they bikes?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
i was replying to beemer being the only game in town

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »
Never!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »
piston slap and bearing noise threads are a great merger candidate  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
FIFY.

Brian

piston slap and bearing noise threads are a great merger candidate .... into a thread about KiPass!  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »
Twits.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 01:45:50 PM »
realists!   ;D

Offline XR6

• 2009 ABS Black
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 08:57:43 PM »

I had a K75c did the same thing, brings back the time I went to a well known popular Pub (Pohoi) with heaps of bikers mainly HD drinkers pub. Apparently when I took off, all the lads thought it was a great joke watching the BMW 2smoker heading off with a trail of blue smoke pouring out the back. I did not realise until my mate told me the next day. Apparanltly word got back to him by another friend that was at the Pub and saw it. Hah!

This post has been very helpful. I was wondering if I had a problem with my C14. But now I understand it is the timing chain.. phew!
2009 ABS Black, AreaP carbon, K&N air filter, PC V, Flies Out.

Offline smokin

My GTR1400 started rattling on start up after about 3000kms,timing chain tensioner. Ran Motul 7100 10w60,guess what , no rattle on start up any more, even after bike is left for a month or more and all the oils drained back to the sump. I now run Amsoil 10w 40,still no rattle on start up after 10,000kms.
Suspected reason, the thicker oil pushed the tensioner to the next ratchet tooth on the tensioner, apparently the ratchet teeth are very fine, hence the timing chain tensioner is now placed firmer against the timing chain, no rattle on start up.
Try it. 
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline connie14boy

My GTR1400 started rattling on start up after about 3000kms,timing chain tensioner. Ran Motul 7100 10w60,guess what , no rattle on start up any more, even after bike is left for a month or more and all the oils drained back to the sump. I now run Amsoil 10w 40,still no rattle on start up after 10,000kms.
Suspected reason, the thicker oil pushed the tensioner to the next ratchet tooth on the tensioner, apparently the ratchet teeth are very fine, hence the timing chain tensioner is now placed firmer against the timing chain, no rattle on start up.
Try it.

It would be great if after all these years that Kawasaki could fix my only complaint. At 70,000 miles, now it rattles for about a minute on start up- I hope it breaks so I can finally use the extended warranty that I paid for.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Oil type makes no difference on mine as I've used quite a few including Amsoil.  It rattles for a few seconds on mine and then quietens down.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
It would be great if after all these years that Kawasaki could fix my only complaint. At 70,000 miles, now it rattles for about a minute on start up- I hope it breaks so I can finally use the extended warranty that I paid for.

Mine did that too so I spent the $50 or so for an Ape manual cam chain tensioner. Hasn't rattled since even on cold startup.

Offline connie14boy

Mine did that too so I spent the $50 or so for an Ape manual cam chain tensioner. Hasn't rattled since even on cold startup.

How many busted knuckles and beers to install?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
How many busted knuckles and beers to install?

Not too bad at all. You have to get under the right side fairing but I didn't have to actually remove the fairing. Once you get under the fairing it's trivial to remove the OEM and install the APE. Just 2 bolts and follow the instructions to adjust.