Author Topic: Visibility  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Visibility
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
I want to make the rear of the bike more noticeable at night.  I was considering placing some red LED's on the saddlebags as running lights.  In the meantime I ordered a reflective sticker from Motoreflective.com for the saddlebags.  I haven't given up on the lights but I was curious if anyone out there has used the reflectors and then placed lights on top of that.  Something about placing a light in the middle of another reflective surface gives me pause to wonder if that would be an effective solution.  Or would the reflector wash-out or the light wouldn't make an improvement.  Something like that.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Visibility
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »
I've got something similar to these and it reflects pretty darn well.  I haven't put any extra lights on the bike for night time running.

http://www.realtimeindustries.com/concours-14-gtr1400-reflective-decals/
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »
I've got something similar to these and it reflects pretty darn well.  I haven't put any extra lights on the bike for night time running.

Yep, that’s what I had on my C 10. You be amazed how much light comes back at you when the headlights hit it.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »
Heads Up Braking. Wirelessly controlled by a decelerometer mounted in my top case
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 04:13:18 PM »
I added reflective panels to the rear of the bags http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20440 and an Admore  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2505.0

(This topic should be in Accessories)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 05:16:49 PM »
Heads Up Braking. Wirelessly controlled by a decelerometer mounted in my top case

WoW... you put lights in a lemon?  ;D

Offline Tree

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »

Great.  Now I totally want one.  The lights, not the lemon.  :)

They look similar to what Motoreflective.com offers.  I will hold off on lights for now.  I want to see how I feel about the reflectors.

...(This topic should be in Accessories)

I agree.  I figured it was generic enough of a question but it refers to accessories.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:07:04 PM »
You making fun of my lemon or my light? Or both? 😄

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
You making fun of my lemon or my light? Or both? 😄

:)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »
Added the Realtime reflectors to the bike, and double Admore light bars. I was disappointed that the Givi case deluxe edition didn't have reflective red and only wimpie brake lights. I disassembled it and replaced the silver paper inside with silver reflective tape from wally-world and replaced the wimpie lights with the Admore LED so now it has some good brake lights and turn signals on the top case and the top case reflects where the red is. Later I added the Realtime reflectors to the top case as well.

Offline Tree

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 01:39:09 AM »
I like the DIY result with the tape!  I will look into getting my top box lit up too.  It could use it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 06:33:55 AM »
I like the DIY result with the tape!  I will look into getting my top box lit up too.  It could use it.

Are you still using the oem plastic rack?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »
On the Multistrada 950 forum one of the guys was boasting about how good his home made slip on looks and the fact that flames shoot out of it. If we could get flames to shoot out of the potatoe launcher no one would come within a hundred yards ;D
 :cannon:

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
Hey Tree, I converted my taillights to running lights and it lit up the back of the bike nicely while keeping the stock look.  Not too tough to do, but there were some challenges. 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22821.0
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Tree

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 03:37:06 PM »
Are you still using the oem plastic rack?
I think the OEM plastic rack is what the box is anchored to.  So, yes.

Hey Tree, I converted my taillights to running lights and it lit up the back of the bike nicely while keeping the stock look.  Not too tough to do, but there were some challenges. 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22821.0

I'll check it out. Thx.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 07:35:20 PM »
I think the OEM plastic rack is what the box is anchored to.  So, yes.
I'll check it out. Thx.
The reason I ask is that in the picture the box looks like it is leaning to the left. The plastic racks proved to be somewhat flexible.

Offline Tree

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 08:29:45 PM »
The reason I ask is that in the picture the box looks like it is leaning to the left. The plastic racks proved to be somewhat flexible.

I see now.  I am amazed that I was able to even post a pic.  I suck with a camera.  I will be removing the box and I'll give the mounts a good check.   :P

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 01:28:21 AM »
The reason I ask is that in the picture the box looks like it is leaning to the left.

Interesting.... good eye.  I went back and looked, and you are right, it does appear to be leaning a bit.  But I don't see anything obviously strange with the rack; in the small photo, it almost appears the entire metal assembly on the right is a bit higher than on the left, not the rack. Hmm.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tree

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 04:42:11 AM »
There is a little optical challenge as the bike is on the side stand and leaning to the left.  I took the box off and everything looks OK.

Offline jimbob_sf

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »
My bike can be seen day/night.  The turn signals are on and negative flash when turning.  I added LED strips on the sides and front of the mirrors as well as replaced all the lights with LEDs.  The headlights are eBay LEDs that have been bulletproof.  Not only can the bike be seen day or night from any angle, but i'm drawing 2 volts less.  I have 3M reflective tape that matches the frame all over so you don't notice it during the day, but you can't miss it at night.  I put the same color-matched 3M tape on the helmet too.

Custom Dynamics knows what they are doing and has great stuff:
www.customdynamics.com
  • LED Flasher replaces stock flasher because the LEDs have a lower load and the ECU needs to be tricked.  The description doesn't list the C14, but it's a straight swap - T2DC
  • Eclipze2 module (need 4) to get turn signals to be always on and negative flash - EPZ2
  • Truflex amber LEDs.  I put 40 LED stripts on the leading edge of the front of the mirror housing and 50 LED strips around the outer edge of the housing.

You're going to be committed to this because I had to use clamps to hold the LED strips to the mirror and crazy glue them down.  The standard adhesive isn't strong enough to hold them down.  I drilled tiny holes in the mirror housing and routed the tiny LED strip wires inside the mirror housing and then into the fairing.  I spray painted the leads black before running them and then put electrical tape over to keep them in place.  It could be prettier, but I'd rather be alive;)

I wired the stock turn signals (front and rear) into the Eclipsze modules so all lights are always on.

I'll post some pictures.