Author Topic: hydrolock rebuild advice  (Read 966 times)

Offline sport rider

hydrolock rebuild advice
« on: May 16, 2020, 05:35:08 PM »
I picked up a wounded C10 this week.  76k miles and hydrolocked.  other things about the bike are in good shape.

I have a used motor with 140k which is a known good motor.  Should I tear the two apart and use the hydrolocked bike as the basis for a rebuild, or just swap out the motor?  Either way the carbs have to be sent off to Steve and a new peckcock.

Offline connie_rider

Re: hydrolock rebuild advice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 06:36:27 PM »
Do you know for certain the rod is bent?
If no, I would check that first.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 06:42:53 PM »
problem is; without tearing both apart, down to the crank, you won't know what crank/rod bearings are in each, then you have to accommodate for them, if different.. then, which pistons, and rings? pretty much to do it right,along with the replacement rods; it's a bit more than a "slice and swap".

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 12:25:33 AM »
We don't do logic problems here ;) It depends. Want to ride it, sell it, or fix it?

Quick fix is to spoon a known good engine into the subject bike which could be done in a day. Then examine the subject engine from the subject bike and make repairs as your wallet allows. Once repaired, spoon it back in or save it for a spare.

Somewhat related, consider title issues if you spoon a used engine into a derelict bike, and then resell it.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 06:07:50 PM »
We don't do logic problems here ;) It depends. Want to ride it, sell it, or fix it?

Quick fix is to spoon a known good engine into the subject bike which could be done in a day. Then examine the subject engine from the subject bike and make repairs as your wallet allows. Once repaired, spoon it back in or save it for a spare.

Somewhat related, consider title issues if you spoon a used engine into a derelict bike, and then resell it.

Rick

really should be no issue on Title, for resale. The engine number does not have to match the frame marking, and the frame marking is what drives the title papers. Kaw engines did not all have matching numbers with the frame from factory. If explained to a potential buyer, and it runs nice, it's moot.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sport rider

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »
I was really mostly curious about how much trouble it is to rebuild, but Rick, I get your point.  as this is as much a learning experience for me, I've decided to give the rebuild a try.  This bike was free, so I should be able to sell it for $1,000 when done.  Not really trying to make money, but I know there will be costs and this should cover it.

I did get things stripped down a good bit and have found number 2 cylinder is shot for sure.  not sure about the rest till I get further into the motor.  I know I don't have to remove it if it's just 2 and 3, but I'm going to anyway.  Hopefully it will be a bit easier to work on and who knows what else we'll find.

I have it up on a makeshift table now and ready to complete the removal.

...and thanks for your input guys.  I do appreciate your collective wisdom!