Author Topic: Show us your Canyon Cage  (Read 143458 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline kawacop1642

Re: Show us your Canyon Cage
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
The bars look great but what happened to the right side of your bike man? That's some serious rash you got there. Too bad your bars didn't come a lil sooner eh?

I laid the bike down a couple months back. Nothing serious. Went into a turn at about 15mph and hit some loose gravel. It was at nite and didn't see the gravel in the road. My ankle finally healed though, so I'm back up and running. I can live with the scratched plastic.

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2012, 09:39:50 AM »
Wow, those really look great! Do you think we could get some photos from a bit farther away that shows the whole bike in the photo? It's a bit easier to get an idea of how the bars look when the entire bike is in the picture. I appreciate the close up shots too but do you think you could snap some from a bit farther away as well?

Ryan,
  Will get those pics ASAP. Thanks for the great product Bro! You should be receiving the ones you accidentally sent me some time today.
Oh and yes, Those are the pegs from rivco. Great fit!

Mark

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »
Can't tell from the pics... that low peg mounting doesn't compromise your maximum lean angle?  You wouldn't want those hitting pavement first in a serious turn, could induce a low-side.
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2012, 09:47:54 AM »
Ryan,
  Will get those pics ASAP. Thanks for the great product Bro! You should be receiving the ones you accidentally sent me some time today.
Oh and yes, Those are the pegs from rivco. Great fit!

Mark

Thank you very much!

Can't tell from the pics... that low peg mounting doesn't compromise your maximum lean angle?  You wouldn't want those hitting pavement first in a serious turn, could induce a low-side.

It looks like it'd be close but it shouldn't compromise the maximum lean angle because the hero peg should still be the first thing to touch the ground even with the highway pegs in that position. As long as you use the hero peg as a warning system and don't go over much further once the hero is scraping, you should be fine. I don't think this has been tested though and I'd really like to know for sure as well.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
More pics

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »
And last 2

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »
kawacop, did you have any trouble with the front engine mount bolts and the alignment of the engine mount bracket and hole into the engine?  Mine is slightly off causing the misalignment and binding of the bolts on the bracket hole.

How about you Ryan, did you all experience any issues with this when developing the bars?
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
More pics

Great! This is precisely what I was looking for!

kawacop, did you have any trouble with the front engine mount bolts and the alignment of the engine mount bracket and hole into the engine?  Mine is slightly off causing the misalignment and binding of the bolts on the bracket hole.

How about you Ryan, did you all experience any issues with this when developing the bars?

This may be a dumb question but were you sure to follow the instructions step by step? I know there's a very specific way to align and install those guards especially at that front engine mount point. Anyway, I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue and I don't remember personally experiencing this when we repeatedly put on/took off the guards. I have heard of a few people having a tough time breaking those engine mount bolts loose but nothing regarding misalignment. If you could perhaps snap a photo of the issue or misalignment, I can show our tech and attempt to get you some solid answers.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
Yep, followed the directions. Step 4 you remove the right front engine mount bolt. Step 8 you install the new one. This was very tight, and took a breaker bar to release, but was very tight to unscrew the entire way. Once off, i tried to just screw in the new bolt you all supplied and it would not go in. looks like the engine mount bracket hole and the hole in the engine do not line up. Engine is raised a bit.  I'll see if I can get to it tonight and try to get a pic, but it's rather hard to see in there. 
I'm going to do the engine mount process of loosening and then re-tourqueing the engine mount bolts to see if I can get them to align.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »
It looks like it'd be close but it shouldn't compromise the maximum lean angle because the hero peg should still be the first thing to touch the ground even with the highway pegs in that position. As long as you use the hero peg as a warning system and don't go over much further once the hero is scraping, you should be fine. I don't think this has been tested though and I'd really like to know for sure as well.
um, ok.  But remember that you don't always have a choice in the matter, if you are into a turn that's tighter than you expected, sometimes you just have to crank it over hard to avoid going wide and possibly into oncoming traffic.  And the C14 will crank over to a crazy angle if forced to for survival.  Wouldn't want to have to back off if the hero pegs hit if that will put me into a car...
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »
Yep, followed the directions. Step 4 you remove the right front engine mount bolt. Step 8 you install the new one. This was very tight, and took a breaker bar to release, but was very tight to unscrew the entire way. Once off, i tried to just screw in the new bolt you all supplied and it would not go in. looks like the engine mount bracket hole and the hole in the engine do not line up. Engine is raised a bit.  I'll see if I can get to it tonight and try to get a pic, but it's rather hard to see in there. 
I'm going to do the engine mount process of loosening and then re-tourqueing the engine mount bolts to see if I can get them to align.

Alrighty. Let me know if you end up getting it to align for you. I'll also speak with the tech and see if I can find out more information on this for you.

um, ok.  But remember that you don't always have a choice in the matter, if you are into a turn that's tighter than you expected, sometimes you just have to crank it over hard to avoid going wide and possibly into oncoming traffic.  And the C14 will crank over to a crazy angle if forced to for survival.  Wouldn't want to have to back off if the hero pegs hit if that will put me into a car...

I completely agree. To be honest with you, I've been against (and still am) putting highway pegs on this type of bike from the start but it's something more than a few people inquired about. So, if you're going to add highway pegs, just be aware that they may effect the bike in a way you didn't intend. I guess it really just depends on what type of riding you do most. If you're someone like me who's a canyon junkie where lean angle is everything, you should probably realize the pegs are going to stick out, skip them, and use the Canyon Cage as it was designed to be used; by itself. However, if you do more open riding where you rarely encounter multiple series' of tight curves and actually have a chance to stay in one gear long enough to put your feet up then the highway pegs may be something you want to look into. I guess it just comes down to the rider knowing their preferences and riding environments and adding accessories accordingly.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, the highway pegs are relatively simple to take on and off and only take a few minutes to install. One could always leave the pegs off the bike for short rides or rides through the canyons and only put them on when they're going on a really long ride where they'll actually use them.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
I completely agree. To be honest with you, I've been against (and still am) putting highway pegs on this type of bike from the start but it's something more than a few people inquired about. So, if you're going to add highway pegs, just be aware that they may effect the bike in a way you didn't intend. I guess it really just depends on what type of riding you do most. If you're someone like me who's a canyon junkie where lean angle is everything, you should probably realize the pegs are going to stick out, skip them, and use the Canyon Cage as it was designed to be used; by itself. However, if you do more open riding where you rarely encounter multiple series' of tight curves and actually have a chance to stay in one gear long enough to put your feet up then the highway pegs may be something you want to look into. I guess it just comes down to the rider knowing their preferences and riding environments and adding accessories accordingly.

Agreed 100%.  I plan on installing highway pegs for long trips on the slab and they will be taken off once I get to my destination when the corner carving commences.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »
Dalroo and I are working on when we're going to swing out to our powdercoater to pick the bars up, but they're coated....

Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline danl

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
Agreed 100%.  I plan on installing highway pegs for long trips on the slab and they will be taken off once I get to my destination when the corner carving commences.

I'm going to experiment with mounting them in a way that when they are folded up, they are not sticking out past the cage. Not sure if/how that can be done, but I will try.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »
Dalroo and I are working on when we're going to swing out to our powdercoater to pick the bars up, but they're coated....

Oh wow, those look gorgeous! I can't wait to see how they look on the bike!  ;D

I'm going to experiment with mounting them in a way that when they are folded up, they are not sticking out past the cage. Not sure if/how that can be done, but I will try.

I'm not so sure there's a way to make the pegs stick out less than the cage itself when the pegs are folded up/in but don't let me stop you from trying! However, that's not to say that you can't find a position where they won't restrict lean angle whatsoever because I have a feeling that's possible. The best thing to do would be to lay down a thick blanket and gently lay the bike over on its side and let it rest on the Canyon Cage. Once it's on its side you can check out what portions of the Canyon Cage are high enough off the ground to allow for safe mounting of the highway pegs. I wish we had time to do this when we had the bike in our shop and we were working on it but hindsight is always 20/20, I suppose.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »
These could be mounted at the fwd most vertical bar, down at the bottom and folded in if I am thinking correctly.  Or even the rear vertical bar:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
Cages with added highway pegs. Talk about total comfort!

Argh!!!!!   Looks like you needed the canyons BEFORE you got the canyons :)

Actually, the pegs don't look that bad folded up... although I love my Ronnie's Pegs.

(Eeeew, people... please resize/scale down your pics before posting!  Slow!! ;)  )
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »

I think with foldable ones, like shown, it shouldn't be that much of a scraping situation... would it?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »
It would seem to me if you are scrapping a folded peg mounted to a Canyon Cage you are about to test the effectiveness of the cage anyway.