Author Topic: Show us your Canyon Cage  (Read 143863 times)

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
Re: Show us your Canyon Cage
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2012, 05:16:21 AM »
It depends on where they are mounted. You would be shocked at how far the Concours will lay over and be okay. I have my peg feelers all but ground off and my buddy said my bags are only a few inches off the ground at that point. I fully intend to put pegs on my bars but they will be mounted either high enough to stay off the deck or in such a way that they fold into the bar opening in the cage when not it use.
I'm thinking if I mount the peg to the vertical bar then it should fold into the opening but i don't have them in my hand yet so I can only postulate.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2012, 08:09:56 AM »
I think with foldable ones, like shown, it shouldn't be that much of a scraping situation... would it?

Like others have said, I'm sure it all depends on where they're mounted. I'm sure they could be mounted in a place where they would scrape eventually. However, on the flip side of the coin, I'm sure they could also be mounted in a spot where they'd be safe from scraping altogether. Placement is everything! Hopefully once more people get the cage mounted and highway pegs installed, we'll be able to find a safe location to mount 'em.

It would seem to me if you are scrapping a folded peg mounted to a Canyon Cage you are about to test the effectiveness of the cage anyway.

Sounds about right to me!

It depends on where they are mounted. You would be shocked at how far the Concours will lay over and be okay. I have my peg feelers all but ground off and my buddy said my bags are only a few inches off the ground at that point. I fully intend to put pegs on my bars but they will be mounted either high enough to stay off the deck or in such a way that they fold into the bar opening in the cage when not it use.
I'm thinking if I mount the peg to the vertical bar then it should fold into the opening but i don't have them in my hand yet so I can only postulate.

I was also thinking that the vertical bar would also be a good place to mount the pegs so they can fold into that rectangular opening. My only concern with mounting the pegs there would be comfort. When I was sitting on the bike testing out highway pegs mounted to the Canyon Cage I was a bit restricted with where to mount the pegs due to my relatively short legs. To comfortably use the highway pegs mounted to the vertical bar I'm afraid you'd have to be 6'3"+ but I could definitely be mistaken. Once you guys receive your bars and pegs/clamps, you'll just have to do some testing to find a safe spot to mount the pegs in a position that's safe yet still comfortable. After all, if they're not comfortable, what's the point in having them at all?
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »
I mounted the pegs to fit my personal comfort. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. So I had to mount them as far forward and as low as I could to get my legs stretched. I tried the vertical bar, but my knees were up to high for that particular position.
 I did a test run with them and had no problem with ground clearance when making sharp turns. However, I should note that I am not a high speed track rider nor do I hardly ever lean heavily into turns at high speeds. I'm more of a cruiser style rider.
 Everyone who wants to mount highway pegs will have to figure out their own comfort level. Like someone else noted; you can always remove them during track days or similar type riding.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
I mounted the pegs to fit my personal comfort. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. So I had to mount them as far forward and as low as I could to get my legs stretched. I tried the vertical bar, but my knees were up to high for that particular position.
 I did a test run with them and had no problem with ground clearance when making sharp turns. However, I should note that I am not a high speed track rider nor do I hardly ever lean heavily into turns at high speeds. I'm more of a cruiser style rider.
 Everyone who wants to mount highway pegs will have to figure out their own comfort level. Like someone else noted; you can always remove them during track days or similar type riding.

Great! I'm glad to hear you got them mounted in a comfortable position that's also safe based on your riding tendencies. Oh and thank you for the pictures, by the way!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline danl

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »
Got my CC today, spent a couple hours installing. Here are a few pics:

I did have some frustration with the install. The rears went on easy. The fronts, it basically came down to proper tools (or lack thereof). Getting the 8mm bolt attached inside the fairing was not easy. Of course, the allen head socket set I have had a 6 and 10mm but no 8. So I was using an 8mm allen wrench, which fortunately, by using the old long engine bolt, made a good breaker bar to get the old bolts off, and to get some torque going on the new ones. The right front side went on pretty easy, but the left was real tight. I finally went out to the auto parts store and bought an 8mm socket that I needed, and even with that, the bolt was extremely tight. I ended up putting a 2' piece of pipe onto the end of the socket wrench to get some power behind it. Once I did that, it took only a few minutes. The next part that was frustrating was getting the 5/8" nut tighted on the brace. The left side I was able to get a shallow socket on, with a small socket wrench all the way inside the fairing. The right side, due to the radiator hose, I couldn't get the socket in there. So, it was an open ended wrench, one fraction of a turn at a time. I recently bought an open end ratchet, but the 17mm was slightly too big, so after some experimentation, I found out that it was an SAE nut. If I pulled on the 17mm as I tightened, I was able to get it cranked down some, but when it got tight, had to switch to the open end wrench.

Overall they are a real nice product. I'm looking at options now- maybe some led lights on the front of the bars for more visibility, white strips, or maybe some small spot lights. Seeing where highway pegs might work. I might end up springing for some of the Kuryakyn offset mounts that you can adjust to just about any position you want, that way they could be mounted up on one of the higher points, but still be positioned where they are comfortable.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »
I did have some frustration with the install. The rears went on easy. The fronts, it basically came down to proper tools (or lack thereof). Getting the 8mm bolt attached inside the fairing was not easy. Of course, the allen head socket set I have had a 6 and 10mm but no 8. So I was using an 8mm allen wrench, which fortunately, by using the old long engine bolt, made a good breaker bar to get the old bolts off, and to get some torque going on the new ones. The right front side went on pretty easy, but the left was real tight. I finally went out to the auto parts store and bought an 8mm socket that I needed, and even with that, the bolt was extremely tight. I ended up putting a 2' piece of pipe onto the end of the socket wrench to get some power behind it. Once I did that, it took only a few minutes. The next part that was frustrating was getting the 5/8" nut tighted on the brace. The left side I was able to get a shallow socket on, with a small socket wrench all the way inside the fairing. The right side, due to the radiator hose, I couldn't get the socket in there. So, it was an open ended wrench, one fraction of a turn at a time. I recently bought an open end ratchet, but the 17mm was slightly too big, so after some experimentation, I found out that it was an SAE nut. If I pulled on the 17mm as I tightened, I was able to get it cranked down some, but when it got tight, had to switch to the open end wrench.

Overall they are a real nice product. I'm looking at options now- maybe some led lights on the front of the bars for more visibility, white strips, or maybe some small spot lights. Seeing where highway pegs might work. I might end up springing for some of the Kuryakyn offset mounts that you can adjust to just about any position you want, that way they could be mounted up on one of the higher points, but still be positioned where they are comfortable.

I'm glad to hear you got them on and like them but I'm sorry you had a bit of trouble getting them installed. It's not so much that it's a difficult install, just tedious. Some steps have to be taken very slowly because of the tight fit, unfortunately. Thanks for the photos and I can't wait to see how it all looks with the Kuryakyn pegs you're talking about! I don't think I've seen those pegs before...

Offline danl

« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
You are exactly right Ryan, more tedious than difficult. Working in tight spaces and taking a long time to tighten things because there isn't much room to manuver. Having that 8mm Allen head socket would have made things a lot easier, I should have gone out before I started and bought it.

I'm certainly not looking forward to removing them for service. I have a prepaid maintenance plan and while they cover scheduled service @ 100%, they will charge to remove aftermarket parts. My next service will be a valve adjust that needs the fairings off- but I think I'll pay the fee and let them take the bars off. I'm so worried about stripping or breaking off one of those bolts in the engine.  I suppose the other option is to cut the fins to allow them to fit around the cage, that could probably be done near the rear of the fin where it hides behind the solid part of the fairing.

My wife has the offset pegs on her Vulcan. They let you swivel in about a 6" diameter range and will lock in any position. I saw they have a black set which will be perfect. I don't think I'll do that til after I get back from my 2 week ride, towards the end of July.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »
I suppose the other option is to cut the fins to allow them to fit around the cage, that could probably be done near the rear of the fin where it hides behind the solid part of the fairing.

I had a hiccup in my install, so I will try this mod along with a slight alteration of the tabs at the bottom of that panel. I "think" they will allow removal of the plastics without pulling the cages off (barely). I'll take some pics of my panel mods, just in case it works, so I can share what I am doing.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
Dalroo and I are working on when we're going to swing out to our powdercoater to pick the bars up, but they're coated....

Hmmm...I see you guys decided not to go with the two tone on the front bars. Looking forward to the installed pics.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
I suppose the other option is to cut the fins to allow them to fit around the cage, that could probably be done near the rear of the fin where it hides behind the solid part of the fairing.

Yea, from what I've heard you can cut those fins in a manner that they're hidden behind the solid part of the fairing when installed. I know people have done this mod with our bathroom bars but I haven't heard of anyone doing it with the Canyon Cage yet so I can't be sure that it'll work the same way.

I had a hiccup in my install, so I will try this mod along with a slight alteration of the tabs at the bottom of that panel. I "think" they will allow removal of the plastics without pulling the cages off (barely). I'll take some pics of my panel mods, just in case it works, so I can share what I am doing.

Oooh, please let us know how it goes! I'm sure others would also like to do this if it'll work the same way as it does with our law enforcement bars!

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »
Hmmm...I see you guys decided not to go with the two tone on the front bars. Looking forward to the installed pics.

Correct...the only way for that to work would have been to go, install, mark, remove, paint, come back, install....  I don't mind that there will be a little blue below the matte line, personally.

Chip is picking them up tomorrow and we're having an install party on Saturday. 
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2012, 12:34:41 PM »
Correct...the only way for that to work would have been to go, install, mark, remove, paint, come back, install....  I don't mind that there will be a little blue below the matte line, personally.

Yea, it would have been a serious pain to do the two tone and I honestly think it'll look better as you guys have it currently. I can't wait to see the photos of the bars installed!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »

That makes sense. If you have second thoughts you could just mask it off, protect the fairing and spray
paint the lower sections flat black. If the paint chipped a little it wouldn't get noticed since the blue underneath
is so dark.
Quote from: DFW Sat. forecast
SATURDAY: Sunny skies, hot and humid. Winds: S 10-15 . High: 98 (Heat Index 101).
I recommend a couple of electric fans for the install party, drink beverages, have fun and take pictures.

Breaker19

« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
A-holes at UPS show my delivery completed, except i don't have them! Mis delivered. Ryan initiated a claim. UPS, YOU SUCK!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »
Quote from: Kawacop1642

kawacop', I noticed that you didn't get the MCE saddlebag protectors, do you think your hitch install would interfere with them?

warning  :offtopic: coming

That rear fend'r 'xtender looks good with your hitch.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:57:11 PM by fartymarty »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2012, 04:06:03 PM »
A-holes at UPS show my delivery completed, except i don't have them! Mis delivered. Ryan initiated a claim. UPS, YOU SUCK!

Is that your box on my front porch?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2012, 04:59:22 PM »
That makes sense. If you have second thoughts you could just mask it off, protect the fairing and spray
paint the lower sections flat black. If the paint chipped a little it wouldn't get noticed since the blue underneath
is so dark. I recommend a couple of electric fans for the install party, drink beverages, have fun and take pictures.

I will have to insist that beverages be a part of this adventure.  LOL  I would worry if I put spray paint over high quality powder coat that the powder coater would come to my house and kick my ass....  :D
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »
I wish I could afford those Heli's.  Your bike is calling for the open road.

Offline danl

« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »

Yesterday when I checked the tracker it had that awesome "out for delivery" status. I had to ride up north to a work meeting. My wife said they didn't come when she was here for lunch. I got home around 2:30, and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally around 4:30 I checked the tracker again- "Delivered- left at side door". They had been sitting there for 3 hours. When I came home on the bike I looked at the front porch as I pulled in, but then had to negotiate getting around my van and then between my wife's bike and my son's scooter, so that was where my attentino was. Never looked at the other door, where the box was sitting.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2012, 02:26:46 AM »
Yesterday when I checked the tracker it had that awesome "out for delivery" status. I had to ride up north to a work meeting. My wife said they didn't come when she was here for lunch. I got home around 2:30, and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally around 4:30 I checked the tracker again- "Delivered- left at side door". They had been sitting there for 3 hours. When I came home on the bike I looked at the front porch as I pulled in, but then had to negotiate getting around my van and then between my wife's bike and my son's scooter, so that was where my attentino was. Never looked at the other door, where the box was sitting.

^^^^^^ :rotflmao:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.