Author Topic: Show us your Canyon Cage  (Read 143470 times)

Offline kawacop1642

Re: Show us your Canyon Cage
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2012, 06:11:01 AM »
Quote from: Kawacop1642

kawacop', I noticed that you didn't get the MCE saddlebag protectors, do you think your hitch install would interfere with them?

warning  :offtopic: coming

That rear fend'r 'xtender looks good with your hitch.  :thumbs:
Actually, Ryan sent me the rears by mistake along with the fronts. I didn't order them so I returned them to him. They wouldn't interfere with the hitch though. Would probably have to install longer bolts though.
  That fender extender works great!

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2012, 06:19:15 AM »
I wish I could afford those Heli's.  Your bike is calling for the open road.
Those bars were well worth the price. With all the comfort mods I've made, this bike is now a "lounge chair missile". I do alot of long distance travels. My next trip is coming up. I'll be hitting the west coast (cali) from san diego up to Lake Tahoe. Then over through the midwest before heading back to texas via Utah (zion nat'l park) and the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Will be on the road for about a month.

Offline Bugnut

• The Dude abides.
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
Those bars were well worth the price. With all the comfort mods I've made, this bike is now a "lounge chair missile".

I prefer "Couch Rocket". Lazy Boy ICBM also comes up.

Mike
"Now I know what the Klingons felt like when the Enterprise was at warp 9 with photon torpedoes firing away as they blasted past. There is no way I could catch up to, much less get past that Concours when it's on the hunt it's lights at full power."

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »
Yesterday when I checked the tracker it had that awesome "out for delivery" status. I had to ride up north to a work meeting. My wife said they didn't come when she was here for lunch. I got home around 2:30, and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally around 4:30 I checked the tracker again- "Delivered- left at side door". They had been sitting there for 3 hours. When I came home on the bike I looked at the front porch as I pulled in, but then had to negotiate getting around my van and then between my wife's bike and my son's scooter, so that was where my attentino was. Never looked at the other door, where the box was sitting.

I manage customer service for a large direct selling company.  I've had people on the phone screaming at me that their package wasn't delivered and told them, "Go open your front door."  LOL  Viola!  "Hey, how did you know it was there?" 

Uh...I used the UPS tracking number that we sent you in the email that I have confirmation that you opened.....   LOL

I just refer to my Connie as GunStar 1.  I'm thinking of putting a Death Blossom control panel on the right side.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »
My shiny gen2 set arrived today!!!!!!  Now I have to convince my friend to help me install these suckers...

First I gotta get them to his house.... on the bike.   20lb box 20x12x12.  Strap to the top rack???  Hmmm.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
My shiny gen2 set arrived today!!!!!!  Now I have to convince my friend to help me install these suckers...

First I gotta get them to his house.... on the bike.   20lb box 20x12x12.  Strap to the top rack???  Hmmm.

Awesome! Glad to hear they arrived! Psh, just ride over there with the parcel tucked under your arm!  ;D
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Breaker19

« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
Here's mine, kinda looks a lot like the others...  ;D And I agree wholeheartedly, they absolutely look a lot better in person on the bike. I dunno, they add some sort of contrast to the round lines of the bike. I sure do like the look of them.

Overall thoughts about the product:

- Excellent packaging, professionally done with a lot of care taken for safe transport.

Overall thoughts about the install:

- Easy!!! Well, with one exception; that being the super tight OE 10mm bolts. But a quick trip to my toolbox for my 1/2" pneumatic impact took care of that.
- To reinstall the new, longer bolt, I just used a hex socket with an extension to install these new 10mm bolts, so that was no problem either.
- The 5/8 (wrench size) Teflon lock nut some folks have been talking about inside the vents, that was a snap to get in. No problem at all. I already have three sets of ratchet wrenches, so once started, that went like cake.. and my hands are kinda big, but I'm used to wedging them into tight places and threading or removing fasteners.

- Clever, the design. I particularly like the design of the rear guards, using the passenger foot peg mount and the option to leave the foot pegs in place.

Overall thoughts about the product:

- Well designed, well made. Fit and finish, excellent. I did find a small blemish on the left front bar that looks like a bit of junk underneath the powder coat, but it's nothing terrible and frankly, who cares. The things are gonna inevitably get dinged up anyway.

- Extremely good value for the price

Constructive criticism:

Instructions:

- Provide hardware torque value recommendations in the instructions -- none currently appear.
- no recommendation for thread lock on any of the front guard hardware, but there is a mention of it on the rear. I used a dab of blue thread lock on the front stuff anyway, except for the Teflon nuts.

- Plastic cap -- I am assuming that plastic cap is for the right side opening where the new long bolt went through? It doesn't fit. I destroyed mine trying to get that in. I will hit the hardware store and find a better alternative. Lowes has a lot of rubber plugs like that, plastic ones too.

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2012, 01:42:25 PM »
I'm having mail server problems and can't get to my photos yet, but the powder coated blue cages look awesome! Necron and I met for breakfast with a few other riders and then headed over to my garage to begin the install. Pretty straight forward instructions and really no hiccoughs at all. We did the two sets in about 2.5 hours, and spent a lot of time sitting, jawing, letting the bikes cool from the ride, etc. Big hint for those of you with fat hands, have a kid help. My 8 year old daughter was able to reach through the slats on the fairing and get these started for us - even though we ended up have to removing them for a sec and then Necron figured out how to get them started without the assistance of the kiddo.

+1 on the torque specs - one of our observers noted, he just goes back by feel based on how hard it was to loosen at first, but not sure how scientific that is, and +1 on thread lock. We used where it felt appropriate.

My observations:

1) I won't be riding without side cases ( i don't usually anyway) as the rear cage looks huge without case, but blend very well when bags are installed.

2) Sorry, and not to offend with my bias, but the color matched powder coating was the right choice. When I can post photos, unless Necron beats me to it, you might agree, this was a great option.

3) Texas garages are hot in the summer.

4) 8 year old daughters are pretty cool, and while we were tinkering in the garage, my 12 year old son was mowing the lawn, so sons are pretty cool as well.

5) The workmanship on these is fantastic, thanks Ryan and MCE team! And thanks Ayers Garage for coating!

6) Before starting, make sure you have a breakover bar, a lengthy extension, rubber mallet, and 5/8" gear wrench. Deep sockets were also handy.

7) Be patient. There is nothing hard about the project, just lots of steps with several being in tight spaces.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
I look forward to the color matched pics.  I debated this but the 09 Candy Red would be hard to match and it would contrast with the black lower cowl if it was coated red.  Still not 100% sure at this point but leaning twd leaving them black.   

Breaker19

« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
2) Sorry, and not to offend with my bias, but the color matched powder coating was the right choice. When I can post photos, unless Necron beats me to it, you might agree, this was a great option.

I'd absolutely agree, based upon the black on black of mine. They look great and actually, I think contrasting color might jump out too much. These cages break up the "lines" of the bike just enough to make it look interesting.
3) Texas garages are hot in the summer.
Um... they are in Florida too, trust me! lol
5) The workmanship on these is fantastic, thanks Ryan and MCE team! And thanks Ayers Garage for coating!
Got that right!
6) Before starting, make sure you have a breakover bar, a lengthy extension, rubber mallet, and 5/8" gear wrench. Deep sockets were also handy.
I'd add Blue (medium) thread locker, a tiny screwdriver or pick tool to pop out the circlip holding in the passenger footpeg pin (if you're installing rears too) and assorted hex sockets. Forget using a regular allen wrench kit on this job. Buy a set of 3/8" drive hex or allen sockets. I have both SAE and Metric sets.

Also, what I did was, I took one of the larger plastic bags that stuff came in and used that to store all my OE parts, the OE long rear motor bolt, the instructions, etc. and stuck it all in my tool box.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2012, 05:55:47 PM »
Here's the color matched 10s!  Ryan, if you want higher res versions, feel free.   

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/morgan/connie/canyonbars/

-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
Here's the color matched 10s!   

I like it color matched, looks awesome N99, nicely done bro!  8)   :thumbs: :thumbs:   :chugbeer:

Offline danl

« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »
Yup, lack of proper tools is what made it frustrating for me. I'm no mechanic, but I've done a fair amount of bolt on type mods to my wifes cruiser, so the technical aspect of this install wasn't so bad. The 8mm Allen socket and 5/8 gear wrench were very much needed.

I did have success using an Allen wrench for a good part of the install. The old long engine bolt made a perfect breaker bar when placed on the end of the Allen.

Those blue bars you guys have look awesome. I've always loved blue bikes and would have really liked having that color.

Breaker19

« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »

I like it color matched, looks awesome N99, nicely done bro!  8)   :thumbs: :thumbs:   :chugbeer:

Yup, same here. Looks factory that way! Nice job.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2012, 07:36:42 PM »
Thanks guys.  Dalroo and I were really pleased with how they turned out. 
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
- Easy!!! Well, with one exception; that being the super tight OE 10mm bolts. But a quick trip to my toolbox for my 1/2" pneumatic impact took care of that.
- To reinstall the new, longer bolt, I just used a hex socket with an extension to install these new 10mm bolts, so that was no problem either.
- The 5/8 (wrench size) Teflon lock nut some folks have been talking about inside the vents, that was a snap to get in. No problem at all. I already have three sets of ratchet wrenches, so once started, that went like cake.. and my hands are kinda big, but I'm used to wedging them into tight places and threading or removing fasteners.
SHOWOFF   ;D

- Plastic cap -- I am assuming that plastic cap is for the right side opening where the new long bolt went through? It doesn't fit. I destroyed mine trying to get that in. I will hit the hardware store and find a better alternative. Lowes has a lot of rubber plugs like that, plastic ones too.
The plastic cap does actually fit. Couple taps with a small rubber mallet.  :P

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »
Here's the color matched 10s!  Ryan, if you want higher res versions, feel free.   

That looks good. I bet they look better in person.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:27:39 PM by Gumbi »

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
In person they're matched so well you don't really even see them until you're on top of them.

I do bump the bar with my shin when I stop...but that's only day 1.  I'll get used to where they are.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2012, 07:33:44 AM »
Nice work guys! Lookin' good!  :thumbs:

Necron', I think there is only one thing you could have done better (assuming that yours is the de-badged bike)
Let Kevin take care of that oil fill cap for you.  ;D

Offline Gooch

« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2012, 01:37:14 PM »
With the Gen 2 cages front/rear installed, are any of you feeling the need to also have slider protection for the front axle and rear swing arms?  If so, can you recommend options?

I'm on the cage waiting list for my new 2012 and have enjoyed reading about the installation process yall have described - Thanks for the feedback!!!