Author Topic: Show us your Canyon Cage  (Read 143775 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
Re: Show us your Canyon Cage
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »
I am thinking differences in the cheapo plastic cap, Ryan, as there was no build up at all on the inside of the recess. I pulled a rubber cap from a frame fastener on my DR650 that fit perfectly, so I think those plastic caps are just junk. That's all.

Ahhh, that could definitely be as well. I just assumed because those plastic caps are made with molds they're more likely to be identical whereas the powder coating is done partially by hand so it wouldn't surprise me if a bit of material was unevenly collected at those recesses from time to time. Either way, I'm glad to know you got it solved!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2012, 03:43:43 PM »
Here is the thread where a guy with an 08 cut the fin for his bathroom bars.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,30288.msg137261.html#msg137261

You can see that the plastic is not really structurally necessary.  You would have to verify the correct slot before cutting.

I will point out that he is showing a gen 1 bike not a gen 2.  I am not sure if the stuff is the same or not...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »
I will point out that he is showing a gen 1 bike not a gen 2.  I am not sure if the stuff is the same or not...

Nearly the same. The concept should work on both generations.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »
Nearly the same. The concept should work on both generations.

Yea, it should work on both generations for the larger law enforcement bars. I just didn't want to assure someone it was going to work with the Canyon Cages yet as I haven't heard from anyone who's made the modification first hand with the CCs. If anyone with the Canyon Cages makes this modification, please let us know how it works out and a few pictures of the process would be greatly appreciated!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »
Yea, the chrome is pretty bright. What do you mean the rears match better, though? Do you mean they match the rear section of the bike better because the fronts overlap that flat black plastic subfairing towards the front of the bike?

Yes, that is what I mean.  The bars are identical chrome on the front and rear, but the rears just seem to match better to the bike in chrome than the fronts do.  I do think they look "OK",  but I realized I couldn't win with the silver bike using chrome or black bars.  I think a flat silver powerdercoat that matches the dull-silver hardware on the bike would be the best possible match.

I am curious about other forum members' opinions about how the chromes look on the silver bike.

I'm sorry to hear you're not totally satisfied with the overall attachment though. However, you did say yourself that with the correct tools (and knowledge from previously putting on and taking off the bars) it would take less than 30 minutes to put them on or take them off which really doesn't seem too bad.

Well that, to me, is a lot of time/work to remove something just to then have to remove the fairings.  What I was expecting were just three user-facing bolts per side that would take maybe 2 min to remove.

If we were to use a design like you're recommending where there are brackets just inside the fairing that allow you to remove the exterior of the Canyon Cage while leaving the mounting brackets, you'd still have to work through some tight spaces which seems to be the most time consuming part of the install and would surely add cost as well.

To me, it wouldn't matter that is was a tight space if the bolts were facing toward the vent and not toward the front of the bike.  Just stick in an extension and bam.  That is my biggest problem.  It also means I wouldn't have to re-insert the factory mounting bolts afterward, either.   Yes, it might have increased the cost some; and might have affected some strength... just how much, I can't say (I am not an engineer :) )

The only way to truly get a "quick-release" style would be to use a cotter pin and swage design which would severely reduce the strength.

Agreed.  But I never really expected that.  Far too weak.

We came to the conclusion that the trade off of a 30 minute install was worth the assurance that the bar wouldn't crumble when the bike was dropped. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue with you or change your opinion. I'm just trying to explain our position and why we made some of the structural decisions we ended up making.

I understand.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
Max,

I do not think that the chrome looks bad and at this point since it is already installed I would probably keep it as is.  If you had not already installed them I would probably have chosen to color match the bike or maybe even just leave them black.   I have the 09 CD Red and am trying to decide right now if I want to powder coat them red or just leave them black.  If I should drop the bike I could easily spray the area with a semi-gloss and it would not be obvious, however a drop with the red would require another powder coat.   Hopefully neither of us will travel down that road.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »

I am curious about other forum members' opinions about how the chromes look on the silver bike.

Well, I went with black for my silver 11. As I figured, the black bars almost disappear since they are over a black opening and the black lower faring. 
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2012, 05:48:46 AM »
My personal biggest complaint is the long main engine mount bolt and nut.  The nut is ugly.  But worse than ugly, the bolt is a smidgeon short and that doesn't inspire confidence.  And finally, the nut, being hex shaped, scratches the finish on the bar as you turn it, which means that there is a circle of scratch around the cage where it will corrode.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2012, 07:12:47 AM »
To Necron's point, I found this nut to be the least attractive piece in the install. To make it a bit less obtrusive, I took a black sharpie and "painted" it. Still not perfect, but it does not jump out quite as much now.

FYI - I am a Shriner and compete in various motorcycle drills. As a part of judging, our competition motorcycles are tech inspected for cleanliness and uniformity. One of the crucial items in our detail gear is a black sharpie. They are great for hiding minor blemishes in paint, and coloring in nuts and bolt heads. One of my competition motorcycles is a 1981 440 LTD and when completely detailed, it is a beautiful little machine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2012, 07:57:39 AM »
To Necron's point, I found this nut to be the least attractive piece in the install. To make it a bit less obtrusive, I took a black sharpie and "painted" it. Still not perfect, but it does not jump out quite as much now.

FYI - I am a Shriner and compete in various motorcycle drills. As a part of judging, our competition motorcycles are tech inspected for cleanliness and uniformity. One of the crucial items in our detail gear is a black sharpie. They are great for hiding minor blemishes in paint, and coloring in nuts and bolt heads. One of my competition motorcycles is a 1981 440 LTD and when completely detailed, it is a beautiful little machine.

Sweet! Do you get to wear one of those cool hats?  ;)

No I'm never gonna do it without the fez on
Oh no
Don't make me do it without the fez on
Oh no
That's what I am please understand
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »
My personal biggest complaint is the long main engine mount bolt and nut.  The nut is ugly.  But worse than ugly, the bolt is a smidgeon short and that doesn't inspire confidence.  And finally, the nut, being hex shaped, scratches the finish on the bar as you turn it, which means that there is a circle of scratch around the cage where it will corrode.

The bolt is long enough IMO. It catches all the threads on the nut so good enough for me. It is horribly ugly though. After I installed the bars I taped everything off and painted the nut and subsequent scratches made by tightening it with a semi flat black that matches the frame and bars perfectly.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2012, 08:25:59 AM »

To Necron's point, I found this nut to be the least attractive piece in the install.

It is horribly ugly though. After I installed the bars I taped everything off and painted the nut and subsequent scratches made by tightening it with a semi flat black that matches the frame and bars perfectly.

Which bolt/nut are you guys talking about? The bolt towards the lower/front that's facing the exterior? I kinda thought it looked cool that way but obviously that's only the opinion of one guy. You all seem to think it's ugly as sin. This is something that can be easily changed, though. Do you think it'd be worth it to supplement that bolt for one that's been painted matte black to match the guards? Or are you guys talking about another bolt/nut altogether? I'm curious as to which one you guys are talking about so maybe I can have something done about it if that many of you really don't like it...

Offline danl

« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »
Ryan, the nut that goes onto the long engine bolt replacement. There is the black cap for the right side but the left is just the nut sticking out there.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2012, 09:26:18 AM »
Ryan, the nut that goes onto the long engine bolt replacement. There is the black cap for the right side but the left is just the nut sticking out there.

Ohhh, I know which one you're talking about. Isn't that a step-nut so there's actually more thread there than what appears to be from the exterior? I understand the nut is a bit ugly but other people were commenting on the fact that it seemed the bolt only went into that nut a few threads which I didn't think was the case but I could be wrong. Do you think it would help if that nut was black? I'll see if that's a change we can make...

UPDATE: I just checked with my tech, Armando. That is indeed a step nut that has more threading than appears from the exterior. The thing is, when installing that long bolt, you may have to twist it slightly so it sits into its "saddle". If that long bolt is properly and completely installed, it'll be locked in place and unable to twist. Also, were going to look into painting those nuts. Armando was just afraid that if we were to paint them, the paint may get scuffed up during install when being cinched down.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »
"Show us your Canyon Cage"... Not enough pictures here!   :P

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2012, 10:07:30 AM »
"Show us your Canyon Cage"... Not enough pictures here!   :P

Agreed! I'd love to see some action shots if at all possible. Maybe some of you guys can have a friend snap some shots while you guys corner through some twisties, that'd make my day!  ;D

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #176 on: July 03, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »

UPDATE: I just checked with my tech, Armando. That is indeed a step nut that has more threading than appears from the exterior. The thing is, when installing that long bolt, you may have to twist it slightly so it sits into its "saddle". If that long bolt is properly and completely installed, it'll be locked in place and unable to twist. Also, were going to look into painting those nuts. Armando was just afraid that if we were to paint them, the paint may get scuffed up during install when being cinched down.

+1 on a black bolt...

Anyone mounted these cages that has a Stebel Nautilus air horn installed under the left fairing? Will they both fit underneath?

Thanks!
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2012, 10:23:14 AM »
+1 on a black bolt...

Anyone mounted these cages that has a Stebel Nautilus air horn installed under the left fairing? Will they both fit underneath?

Thanks!
That's on my list tonight/tomorrow when I finally get around to installing the bars...to see if I can get the Stebel to fit again. I'll have to modify the bracket I made, but I'm thinking it will work.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »
Twelve pages of posts, and.... has anyone "tested" them yet?

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »
That's on my list tonight/tomorrow when I finally get around to installing the bars...to see if I can get the Stebel to fit again. I'll have to modify the bracket I made, but I'm thinking it will work.

Thanks! Looking forward to pics of that new bracket. I'm thinking that if the top of the bar doesn't push the horn too far down, I could mount directly to the cage. Will be interesting to see.

Cheers!
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)