Author Topic: Show us your Canyon Cage  (Read 143489 times)

Offline Mister Tee

Re: Show us your Canyon Cage
« Reply #200 on: July 03, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
No, not trying to jinx anyone of course!  But it's bound to happen at some point.  Reason I ask is because I'm less than impressed with the level of protection that the GSG sliders I installed on mine gave. (Yes, I unfortunately tested them out on the driveway.)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #201 on: July 03, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »
No, not trying to jinx anyone of course!  But it's bound to happen at some point.  Reason I ask is because I'm less than impressed with the level of protection that the GSG sliders I installed on mine gave. (Yes, I unfortunately tested them out on the driveway.)

Well we tested the Canyon Cages before finalizing the prototype design and they did a good job of protecting the fairings, brake lever, shifter lever, exhaust, and mirrors in a low-to-no speed tip over. Unfortunately we couldn't test these bars going at any type of speed but it's my inclination that they'd still protect the bike in a variety of situations, they just weren't specifically built for it. However, they are a very strong, well-built product. I'm guessing you were looking for testimony from someone other than the company who made the bars though as I may be a tad biased!  ;)
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #202 on: July 03, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »
Okay... I'll "SHOW" my Cages...

Got em a week ago... had a "bolt issue"... Ryan sent me a replacement bolt (kudos again, Ryan)... Success tonight. (Had the rears installed last week without incident)

I did attempt to modify the fairings to allow removal without unbolting the Cage, but I just don't think it's possible. It's actually the second fin that gets in the way (it would have to cut AT LEAST 1/3 off the end)... along with the angle between the painted upper and raw lower. Not to mention working with the various inner heat shields and such. So, here's hoping removal of the plastics is few and far between.

But, I did remove both of the insert tabs from the lower edge of the tupperware (at the top of the pic below), so it no longer engages the lower fairing. It's still pretty solid (nothing flops). If it ever becomes an issue, I think a strategic wellnut and bolt at the forward edge would keep the thing solid. In the mean time, pulling those plastics off is a BREEZE compared to before.

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #203 on: July 03, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »
The white looks great!
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #204 on: July 04, 2012, 02:35:10 AM »
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #205 on: July 04, 2012, 05:39:31 AM »
Okay... I'll "SHOW" my Cages...

But, I did remove both of the insert tabs from the lower edge of the tupperware (at the top of the pic below), so it no longer engages the lower fairing. It's still pretty solid (nothing flops). If it ever becomes an issue, I think a strategic wellnut and bolt at the forward edge would keep the thing solid. In the mean time, pulling those plastics off is a BREEZE compared to before.

+2 on the great looking white C14!

Did you remove those tabs on purpose?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #206 on: July 04, 2012, 06:48:30 AM »
Can you show a detail of what you cut and why it doesn't work for removal?  I'm not visualizing what you're saying.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline danl

« Reply #207 on: July 04, 2012, 07:00:36 AM »
I'd like to see more as well. I'm concerned about upcoming services to the valves and things that would require removing the cages and putting the stock parts back on. The less we have to remove bolts that go into the engine or engine mounts the better.

I also think that white looks amazing. I wouldn't mind that paint job at all. Probably no more difficult than black to keep clean!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »
Add me to the list, also (wanting to know about fairing mods on gen2 to prevent need for canyon removal).  I can't visualize this stuff.  Doesn't help that I have only removed the fairings once on this bike, and it was over a year ago.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline coldhearted22

« Reply #209 on: July 04, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
First post, this is how they looked on mine, 2012 C14. Thanks Ryan, great product, very satisfied, installation was a breeze, no issues. As long as you have the right tools...
2012 Candy Arabian Red Concours 14

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
I'll try to explain why the mod didn't work... (for me)...

Here is a pic of where I cut the fin... hoping it would slide over the Cage sim to the mod for the bathroom bars:

You can see what I used for the cuts... a single sided hacksaw. Used them on the 2 tabs, as well (looking at you, Conrad). Finish sanded with a Dremel, but the hacksaw made pretty clean cuts.

In this straight-on shot, the problem causing areas can be pointed out. 1) is the angle between the fairing pieces (right behind the loop). 2)  is the distance between the fairing seam and the loop itself. 3) is the fairing seam at the top, under the mirror mount. 4) are the inner shields and shrouds that engage behind the fins:

1) The angle in the seam requires that the fairing kind of be installed from above and outside... bottom front first (with the fins), then the top front (point 3), then the back just kind of pops into place. Well... the bottom edge of the fairing is just a bit wider that the finished gap between the fairing and the loop... shown in point 2, below:

2) The gap between the fairing and the Cage loop:

Barely an inch to work with. I even tried loosening the Cage mounts to give more wiggle room, but it wasn't enough. I'm now thinking that it "might" be possible to remove more material at the bottom (where the 2 tabs were) to make this bottom edge "thinner", but I didn't think about it until this morning, so that exploration will have to wait until future fairing removal.

3) This is the seam at the top front of the panel:

Note that it wraps around the front fairing piece (up to the mirror AND back into the radiator area), which means that this part of the panel effectively needs to install from the outside... it can't really be slid in from the back of the bike (because of the angle pointed out in point 1). I was hoping that cutting the 2 tabs off the bottom (pics in previous post) would help this, but it really didn't.

4) Here is a pic of the seam between this panel and the inner shrouds:

The entire inner seam behind the fins have these shrouds that they want to engage with, which means, even more, that this panel wants to be installed from outside the bike, and not slid in from the back.

Those who have removed these panels a few times will likely understand these points more... and I'm certainly not going to COMPLETELY give up on trying to make this idea work (per my idea stated in point 2 above)... but it was getting late, the weather is finally summer here in the PNW, and my other bike is in even more pieces, so I needed to get this bike back together.

As a sidenote... all of the installation steps at the front were MUCH easier to do with those panels off... so now I'm motivated to keep thinking about this. And, by all means, if someone figures out a way to make this mod work, post it up. I think most of us would be happier if we can make it work.

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »
I'll try to explain why the mod didn't work... (for me)...

Thanks for sharing all your experiences and pictures.  Sorry it didn't quite work out.  Hopefully you or someone will come up with a solution and share that too!  Happy riding :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #213 on: July 04, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
Sorry, delayed response, yes Ryan, I get to wear one of the very cool red hats! No brim to block the sun, but I try not to wear outside too often anyway ;D

Here is a shot of my bike while out running errands this morning. Have we mentioned that in Texas, we do a lot of morning riding this time of the year? It gets a little warm from midday and later.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #214 on: July 05, 2012, 05:37:15 AM »
Thanks! Looking forward to pics of that new bracket. I'm thinking that if the top of the bar doesn't push the horn too far down, I could mount directly to the cage. Will be interesting to see.

Cheers!
I was wrong; not a chance in hell the Stebel is going back under the lower left fairing.  The support bracket that comes up from the bottom of the Canyons takes up all remaining space.  I refuse to have it blast out directly at me from the upper right, so I may break out the dremel and preform surgery to split the compressor and horn.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline h2oplayer

« Reply #215 on: July 05, 2012, 06:52:04 AM »
My personal biggest complaint is the long main engine mount bolt and nut.  The nut is ugly.  But worse than ugly, the bolt is a smidgeon short and that doesn't inspire confidence.  And finally, the nut, being hex shaped, scratches the finish on the bar as you turn it, which means that there is a circle of scratch around the cage where it will corrode.

I agree that the nut on the rear bolt is ugly. Rather than paint it I picked up a can of black plastic dip and a dipped a bolt head about 10 times, once this set up I took a razor knife and cut the plastic flush at the bolt flange. I then peeled the rest off and had myself a nice black plastic cap for the bolt. The cap stays on with the friction of a tight fit but still comes off easily if needed for service.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #216 on: July 05, 2012, 06:58:11 AM »
That's a pretty darn good idea right there.  Thanks!  Now I gotta go find the right size bolt head....
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline danl

« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »
I was wrong; not a chance in hell the Stebel is going back under the lower left fairing.  The support bracket that comes up from the bottom of the Canyons takes up all remaining space.  I refuse to have it blast out directly at me from the upper right, so I may break out the dremel and preform surgery to split the compressor and horn.

I'm glad I opted out of the Stebel for this reason. Luckily, some guy at the bike dealer saw my wife's and asked her to blast it for him. He said he wanted one, I said I have one still in the package if you want it. He came over the next day and gave me the 65 bucks I spent on it.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #218 on: July 05, 2012, 08:25:09 AM »

Thanks. Keep me posted on the dremel solution (maybe with some pics). I like my Stebel, but am willing to trade it in for the cage - but only if I have to. Already pried the outside cover off the horn to give it a better fit, so I'm half way there.

Cheers!
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #219 on: July 05, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
Now I want a white one.

Here I was thinking Orange when the white is super sexy....decisions, decisions.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC