Author Topic: Show us your Canyon Cage  (Read 143442 times)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: Show us your Canyon Cage
« Reply #240 on: July 07, 2012, 07:56:40 PM »
I already know how I will modify mine the next time I need to remove the fairings :-D so sorry if I offended.
That would be a good thread to start when you do that (pictures, lots of them). I am very interested in modifying mine for quick removal as well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:38:02 AM by Gumbi »

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »
I agree with some points for sure, and I'd be very interested to hear how you intend to make modification for ease of service.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2012, 08:32:15 AM »
I I did the tool dip cap thing this weekend.  I threw a little RTV inside the cap, and it squirted out a bit.  I'll clean it up when it's dry but here's what it looks like.  Way better than that nut.

-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
I already know how I will modify mine the next time I need to remove the fairings :-D so sorry if I offended.

No offense taken whatsoever! We do appreciate and encourage feedback on all of our products. I've actually already updated the instructions based on feedback from various forum members.

I'm also interested in this modification you're planning on doing. Are you planning on modifying the bar itself or the fairings somehow? I know there's a modification some people do to the fairings that make them easier to take off with our law enforcement guards installed but I can't be sure it would work the same way with the Canyon Cage as nobody has tried it yet. I would love to know more about this mod you're considering!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2012, 12:06:34 PM »
Actually Ryan, a guy DID try it, see page 15.  He said that didn't work.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »

Oh, wow, you're right. I don't know how I missed that. Thank you for pointing it out!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2012, 12:45:14 PM »

Well... Didn't work "YET". If I think of something, you can be sure I'll post it up here. (I sure want it to work)
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
Well... Didn't work "YET". If I think of something, you can be sure I'll post it up here. (I sure want it to work)

I'm thinking there's a way to make it work, we just need to figure out what it is! Next time we have a Connie in our shop to work on, I'm going to see if our tech and I may be able to come up with a way to make a mod like this work. That is if stoneworrior doesn't beat us to it! The only thing is, I have a feeling stoneworrior is considering a modification to the bar itself to make it easier to remove. What we're talking about here is a modification to the fairing to make the fairing easier to remove with the bar still installed. Most people probably don't have the means to modify the bar itself (welder/bender/cold saw). A fairing modification is probably a bit more feasible for a larger majority of people out there.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2012, 02:59:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm down with cutting a little non essential plastic.  My fabrication limits were stretched making that tool-dip cover for the ugly nut.  LOL
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline stoneworrior

• 2005 Gixxer 600 2011 Ninja 650R 2012 Connie 14ABS
« Reply #249 on: July 09, 2012, 07:05:38 PM »
My idea is to cut the round stock that attaches to the flat stock on the upper motor mount. Cut it far enough from the flat stock that I could slide a solid piece of round stock into the pipe for support/strength that would slide about 1 1/2" into both sides fitting snugly. I would drill two holes on the motor side of the original canyon cage pipe and button hole weld the round stock permanently into the motor mount side. I would then weld a diamond shaped piece of flat stock on both ends of the canyon cage round pipe so when I slid both pieces back together the flat stock on both ends would meet flush with the solid inner round stock providing inner strength at the cut. I would drill holes in all three corners of the diamond shaped flat stock and weld the head of three bolts into the motor mount side facing outward, this would make them a permanent part of that section. So when I slide them together I could easily thread nuts onto the three bolts holding the two sections of the original canyon cage firmly together and the round stock would shore up or strengthen that area in case of a tip over. The original canyon cage flat stock that has the bolt that is very hard to reach, I would heat both ends up and put a 1/4 turn into the metal. Of course this would shorten them so the original bolt and hole will no longer align. I would grind off the old bolt, fill in both holes with welds and drill new holes. I would then weld in a new bolt that would now be facing outward, easily allowing me to us a socket extension to drive the nut onto the bolt. One note, the flat stock would have to be twisted lower down to make sure you do not block the motor mount bolt. Any way this idea will allow you to remove four bolts on each side at the upper motor mount section and the one main rear motor mount bolt to allow for easy removal essentially making the upper motor mount a point that should never have to be removed again , it would always stay on the bike. I am not a very good artist but I will try my best to illustrate this during the week when I have some time. Wow I can barely understand my own writing, I've been up since 3:30 worked ten hours and drove 140 miles round trip then came home and ran three miles. Its time for bed I cannot think straight anymore, I sure seem to have a hard time putting my thoughts into print! Hey I spent 16 years as a Jarhead, if it isn't drinking or fighting I'm worthless :-)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:21:40 PM by stoneworrior »

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2012, 08:01:22 AM »
Went with the Rivco highway pegs. I tried many different positions and found the one below the most comfortable for me, and plus when the pegs are folded up they take the same line as the fairing. I tried to mount them higher so they would not be the first things to hit in a corner, but that was not comfortable. If I want to carve some corners I will fold them up and then my Buell pegs are once again going to be the first thing to scrape.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2012, 08:10:19 AM »
Went with the Rivco highway pegs. I tried many different positions and found the one below the most comfortable for me, and plus when the pegs are folded up they take the same line as the fairing. I tried to mount them higher so they would not be the first things to hit in a corner, but that was not comfortable. If I want to carve some corners I will fold them up and then my Buell pegs are once again going to be the first thing to scrape.

The Rivco pegs are adjustable enough to work with the bathroom bars as well...  ;D
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
My idea is to cut the round stock that attaches to the flat stock on the upper motor mount. Cut it far enough from the flat stock that I could slide a solid piece of round stock into the pipe for support/strength that would slide about 1 1/2" into both sides fitting snugly. I would drill two holes on the motor side of the original canyon cage pipe and button hole weld the round stock permanently into the motor mount side. I would then weld a diamond shaped piece of flat stock on both ends of the canyon cage round pipe so when I slid both pieces back together the flat stock on both ends would meet flush with the solid inner round stock providing inner strength at the cut. I would drill holes in all three corners of the diamond shaped flat stock and weld the head of three bolts into the motor mount side facing outward, this would make them a permanent part of that section. So when I slide them together I could easily thread nuts onto the three bolts holding the two sections of the original canyon cage firmly together and the round stock would shore up or strengthen that area in case of a tip over. The original canyon cage flat stock that has the bolt that is very hard to reach, I would heat both ends up and put a 1/4 turn into the metal. Of course this would shorten them so the original bolt and hole will no longer align. I would grind off the old bolt, fill in both holes with welds and drill new holes. I would then weld in a new bolt that would now be facing outward, easily allowing me to us a socket extension to drive the nut onto the bolt. One note, the flat stock would have to be twisted lower down to make sure you do not block the motor mount bolt. Any way this idea will allow you to remove four bolts on each side at the upper motor mount section and the one main rear motor mount bolt to allow for easy removal essentially making the upper motor mount a point that should never have to be removed again , it would always stay on the bike. I am not a very good artist but I will try my best to illustrate this during the week when I have some time. Wow I can barely understand my own writing, I've been up since 3:30 worked ten hours and drove 140 miles round trip then came home and ran three miles. Its time for bed I cannot think straight anymore, I sure seem to have a hard time putting my thoughts into print! Hey I spent 16 years as a Jarhead, if it isn't drinking or fighting I'm worthless :-)

Dang, that seems like quite a project! I do get what you're saying though and I believe you could get it to work the way you're thinking it will. Remember to take some photos for all of us here on the forum when you start this modification as I'm sure a lot of people would like to follow along with some visuals.

I have to mention, though: This or any type of physical modification to the Canyon Cage (or any of our products, for that matter) will void the warranty. Adding highway pegs and other clamp-on accessories like that is totally fine but any type of bending, cutting, welding, etc. will indeed void the warranty. This is probably obvious to most of you but I just wanted to be sure to put it out there before any of you guys begin modifying the bar.

Went with the Rivco highway pegs.

Man, those black RivCo pegs really do look good on the black Canyon Cage!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »
Dang, that seems like quite a project! I do get what you're saying though and I believe you could get it to work the way you're thinking it will. Remember to take some photos for all of us here on the forum when you start this modification as I'm sure a lot of people would like to follow along with some visuals.

I have to mention, though: This or any type of physical modification to the Canyon Cage (or any of our products, for that matter) will void the warranty. Adding highway pegs and other clamp-on accessories like that is totally fine but any type of bending, cutting, welding, etc. will indeed void the warranty. This is probably obvious to most of you but I just wanted to be sure to put it out there before any of you guys begin modifying the bar.

Ordering them in chrome should void the warranty too.     :stirpot:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »
Ordering them in chrome should void the warranty too.
Chrome on a connie should void the factory warranty!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »
now thats funny right there....

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »

Am I the only one who likes the look of the chrome Canyon Cage on the black Connies?! I totally agree the black Canyon Cages look better on the other colors (and the black CC on a black bike isn't bad either) but the chrome really looks cool on the black bike, I personally think. It kinda makes the chrome Kawasaki and Concours badges on the bike stick out.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »
Am I the only one who likes the look of the chrome Canyon Cage on the black Connies?! I totally agree the black Canyon Cages look better on the other colors (and the black CC on a black bike isn't bad either) but the chrome really looks cool on the black bike, I personally think. It kinda makes the chrome Kawasaki and Concours badges on the bike stick out.

Most of the C14 owners that I know bought the C14 to escape the chrome crowd.   ;D

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »

Perhaps, how many orders were placed for chrome bars?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
Most of the C14 owners that I know bought the C14 to escape the chrome crowd.   ;D

Ahhhh, that would make sense then. I just thought it was funny how anti-chrome some of you guys are! I do agree that the black Canyon Cages look good on the majority of the Connies as opposed to the chrome, though. My bike has almost zero chrome on it, now that I think about it. The only chrome on it is the stock header portion of the exhaust. Man, I wish I could have the shop here make me a custom set of Canyon Cages for my bike!

Perhaps, how many orders were placed for chrome bars?    ;)

Hahahaha! I think we only had about 4 or 5 orders for chrome on the 2010-2012 and I think I have one order for chrome for the 2008-2009. So, yea, black is much more popular among you Connie riders.