Author Topic: Show us your Canyon Cage  (Read 143476 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Show us your Canyon Cage
« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
Wish I had read this first. Also wish I had cleaned all the red gunk out before I tried threading in the new bolts. I didn't and ended up crossthreading the right motor mount. $70 tow charge and $95 to re-tap the motormounts. <sign>. Went on like clockwork after that.

We had extreme difficulty getting the top bolts in/out of the engine, probably due to the threadlock, to the point we were sure we were stripping the aluminum threads in the engine.  Backed them out several times to make sure- it was just that hard with the threadlock.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »
Not so sure I would recommend  this, but it works. I was stressing for 12 miles, and it got worse with every bump.  Kootos to MCEnterprises and their well built tip over protection.

I believe that McE specifically warned users NOT to use the cages as tie-down points.  Of course, my memory could be faulty.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fsr402

« Reply #342 on: August 21, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
Well I took your advice and skipped working on the blind and installed the cages. Not to bad took me 2.5 hours from start to finished and cleaned up.
I could have done it a lot faster had I just took the glove box and top pieces of bodywork off from the start.
Don't ask me how but I got the bottoms and sides off and the cages installed without taking the pieces that you need to cut off the bike. The problem came when trying to put it back together. Just could not be done. Once I said screw it and removed those (would have done it first had I known how easy it was) and it went back together slicker then ****.

Would take a pic but the camera on my phone died and they look just like the other Silverdamnit '08s with cages.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #343 on: August 22, 2012, 04:34:01 AM »
Well I took your advice and skipped working on the blind and installed the cages. Not to bad took me 2.5 hours from start to finished and cleaned up.
I could have done it a lot faster had I just took the glove box and top pieces of bodywork off from the start.
Don't ask me how but I got the bottoms and sides off and the cages installed without taking the pieces that you need to cut off the bike. The problem came when trying to put it back together. Just could not be done. Once I said screw it and removed those (would have done it first had I known how easy it was) and it went back together slicker then ****.

Would take a pic but the camera on my phone died and they look just like the other Silverdamnit '08s with cages.

So you read the instructions and then ignored them?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #344 on: August 22, 2012, 04:40:11 AM »
Instructions? There's been plenty of pictures posted.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #345 on: August 22, 2012, 04:44:38 AM »
Instructions? There's been plenty of pictures posted.

Yeah, that sheet that came with your bars.   :-X

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #346 on: August 22, 2012, 04:49:12 AM »
Yeah, that sheet that came with your bars.   :-X
This one?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #347 on: August 22, 2012, 04:56:22 AM »
This one?

Yep, that's the one.    :thumbs:

All you need now is some wind.

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #348 on: August 22, 2012, 05:01:32 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that the left side cage on the gen 2 sticks out farther than the right side? I noticed it when I pulled the plastics off the other day. Put them back on and sure enough the left side is about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch farther away from  the plastics on the left. I didn't actually measure, just guestimating.

No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline fsr402

« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2012, 05:21:11 AM »
So you read the instructions and then ignored them?    ;)
Well not really. I never looked at them until after I had the body off and ready to install. That's when I read it and thought "hmm, why would I need to remove that?"  ;D
Never thought they would tell me how to take my bike apart.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2012, 10:35:35 AM »
It took me and Dalroo less than 2 hours to put on 2 sets, and then WAY less than an hour when I helped my buddy Ralph with his.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
It took me and Dalroo less than 2 hours to put on 2 sets, and then WAY less than an hour when I helped my buddy Ralph with his.

:chugbeer:
When I finally get my budget approved by my CFO, I sure know who to call for help putting them on.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #352 on: August 23, 2012, 06:19:52 AM »
All washed and Pleadged, so I had to take some pics and get this thread back on track!

Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #353 on: August 23, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #354 on: August 24, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
thanks for the catch  :-[      actually I only use....

2012 Black Concours 1400

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #355 on: August 24, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »
Lol..gotta love the Plexus...I mean Pledge

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #356 on: August 24, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
Lol..gotta love the Plexus...I mean Pledge

I just paid a fortune for a small can of Plexus to use on my shields and I swear to God it smells, looks, feels, and acts like Lemon Pledge.  I have to believe it is something different.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #357 on: August 24, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »
I just paid a fortune for a small can of Plexus to use on my shields and I swear to God it smells, looks, feels, and acts like Lemon Pledge.  I have to believe it is something different.

:rotflmao:

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #358 on: August 24, 2012, 04:38:24 PM »

Ingredient comparison....http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/33336-plexus-vs-lemon-pledge-ingredient-comparison.html

Now I want to know if the Aloe Vera formula will help heal paint scratches!
2012 Black Concours 1400

Offline Highett

« Reply #359 on: December 23, 2012, 12:24:09 PM »
My Cages are now on,

Based on the research I did here at the forum I decided to do the mod to the cowling.

Worked just like I expected it to, as far as fitting the cowlings goes, not much different maybe just a little bit more fiddly.

I only put them on yesterday so I am still undecided on the final position of the hwy pegs, they are easy to move around so no problems adjusting them on the fly.

Since I ride solo, I removed my rear pegs.

Photos:

Cheers