Author Topic: Corona virus.... the gift that keeps on giving  (Read 10034 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Corona virus.... the gift that keeps on giving
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2020, 01:25:37 PM »
We had our first confirmed case, at work :(  This is the first person I know or someone I know knows.
She is now in the hospital.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2020, 05:35:03 PM »
We had our first confirmed case, at work :(  This is the first person I know or someone I know knows.
She is now in the hospital.

That has to be worrisome... The county I live in Tenn is Union it had its first confirmed case yesterday and that's worrisome enough. I think by the time this is over we will all know someone who has been touched by this. The company I work for is trying to keep our tugs and barges running as we move essential products including gas, oil, chemicals and cement. We were given special instructions and traveling papers in case we ran into trouble with crossing state lines etc while getting to work. Once on board we are not allowed to get off the vessel and no one is allowed on board without extra special reasoning. 
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2020, 07:49:05 PM »
Don't know if you are aware of this site but if you get depressed easily don't click on it..

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2020, 07:22:51 AM »
?

Sorry, I'm trying to put a little humor into this bad situation. Or is it that you don't get the joke?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »
Sorry, I'm trying to put a little humor into this bad situation. Or is it that you don't get the joke?

The link is broken or restricted, so we all see nothing but a broken link icon.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2020, 05:13:24 PM »

Can't get what you can't see...or is that the joke? If it is then I don't get it.  ???

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2020, 06:01:12 PM »
Can't get what you can't see...or is that the joke? If it is then I don't get it.  ???

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2020, 08:20:04 PM »
Miata?????  I could wear two of them on my feet.  My Indian weighs more than a Miata....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2020, 03:53:51 AM »
It's broken because the miata forum requires a login.

Gottcha. Never mind, upon further review, that one wasn't as funny as I originally thought.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:32:11 AM by Conrad »

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2020, 03:55:15 AM »
Miata?????  I could wear two of them on my feet.  My Indian weighs more than a Miata....

Must be difficult keeping them feet on the pegs of that Indian eh?    ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2020, 06:05:13 AM »
Not at all.  Like most modern motorcycles these days, I have floorboards instead of pegs.  Mind you, it took awhile to get used to them but I could never go back to pegs again or quiet bikes.  It's like a drug.

Was on the road for a trouble call in Southside VA yesterday when the govnor announced his 'You have to really stay at home now' message.  I'm not sure how they will enforce it yet if they even can.  Interstate travel was light on 95 and 85.  Very few out of state plates on the road.

I've got a pass if I'm stopped going to and from any work locations but it's for MD, not VA.  IT is considered essential in MD.  No word on how VA looks at it.  My wife and daughter have passes but they are in the medical professions.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2020, 03:06:14 PM »
Was on the road for a trouble call in Southside VA yesterday when the govnor announced his 'You have to really stay at home now' message.  I'm not sure how they will enforce it yet if they even can. 

Not quite sure if this means I shouldn't go out for my "weekend MC joy rides" or not at this point.  There is no interaction with anyone, not going to any destination.  But it isn't essential or to work.  Of course, if something went wrong (like an accident or breakdown, it would cause interaction; but that is a tiny probability).

Not sure the legality of such "orders", anyway, unless we have somehow magically suspended both the US and VA Constitutions (not that our "governor" or the majority of the legislature cares about the Constitutions).  I am happy to try and comply with the spirit of such orders, though.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2020, 04:32:37 PM »
Right- is that even legal under the US constitution? And if it is not, who is addressing or 'correcting' that misbehavior?

It is a slippery slope to be sure bit I fear we slid down that slope long ago and are not in a heap at the bottom of the mountain. The constitution is really quite simple and easy to read and understand. But it does seem more and more that, as you mentioned, we, or at least some segment(s) are just ignoring it.

VA has been quite the 'wake up' call in the US to anyone paying attention in the least. It used to be a state quite respectful of the constitution but after the last election, that has changed so abruptly and sharply that it should cause every American to take notice and be properly wary.

But back to the virus: we can go to the grocery store but not to our place of employment. OK but how would anyone know until 1) an LEO stopped a particular vehicle (if no probable cause, a violation of the fourth amendment) and asked that person where they were coming from and going to (violating several amendments to the constitution)? But it seems a lot of people, perhaps the majority, think this is OK because of the current crisis. They thought that too in Germany after the Reichstag burned and the Chancellor was given special, "temporary" power to avoid further 'mass bad behavior'. I guess it worked too 'cause there was little national interference afterward and Herr Hitler was free to 'do the right things'. After all, we should never let a social disaster go to waste.....

One does have to wonder though just how much damage a single motorcyclist can do by taking a ride. And then we have to wonder how much safer society is by preventing that ride in the first place.

Brian

<snip>

Not sure the legality of such "orders", anyway, unless we have somehow magically suspended both the US and VA Constitutions (not that our "governor" or the majority of the legislature cares about the Constitutions).  I am happy to try and comply with the spirit of such orders, though.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2020, 04:51:34 PM »
Max, according to what the guvnor stated...it's more of a need than a want thing.  If you just want to get out and let's say ride for the heck of it to Richmond then that's violating the intent of the order.  If you need to get take out in Richmond for dinner then that's ok.

Md just clarified that even though police are out looking for violators they aren't knocking on doors or stopping vehicles and asking for z papers please.  I think that they're just looking for crowds of people.

There's a preacher in Baltimore that's flaunting it essentially but less than 10 people and he's saying 'Can't touch this!' cause it's religion.  We'll see how far that goes as they've already arrested one moron just across the river from me.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »
In the grand scheme of viruses this is a lot of hype with not that much actual content.  Not that precautions shouldn't be taken, but I think we've crossed rather deeply into the absurd category with Covid-19.
Here's some graphs that give a different take on what the news media is feeding us.  Notice the huge spike in media coverage of this virus vs. recent others that supposedly threatened humanity.
https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/?fbclid=IwAR1F8vuK3OYEzoX1xBXCms0F6IqrwOs3W_Vy_aM0D8RCMuUm9qrzPTL69AI

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »
RIDE..... it doesn't break the rules.... just don't stop and "touch anything, or breath on people... reality check".

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2020, 08:07:26 PM »
Actually it does in the state of VA, MD, and DC if you are riding just to ride and get out of the house.  They aren't stopping people on the roads here....yet.  I'm not crazy about self isolating but if we all flaunt it (cause we ride motorcycles and it's our God given right to do so and don't tell us not to because we're special) and do what we want then the result may be more cases of the virus and get more than the max of 240k of possible deaths.  Personally I don't want to be in that statistic so I won't be riding because I want to.  It literally makes me sick to look at the bike in the garage and not go out on it.

The problem with this virus is that it's killing healthy people as well as the ones with underlying issues and as I'm approaching 64 I don't want to take any undo chances.  It may be I or one of you catch it anyway because so many people aren't self isolating.  This virus is not a joke.  There's a reason we have two Navy hospital ships on each coast at the moment in active duty or that we are essentially docking a carrier in the Pacific with 5000 sailors on board or that a company like Ford is now making respirators in a plant instead of vehicles. 

I just hope all of us stay safe and live to ride another day.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2020, 07:44:05 AM »
In the grand scheme of viruses this is a lot of hype with not that much actual content.  Not that precautions shouldn't be taken, but I think we've crossed rather deeply into the absurd category with Covid-19.
Here's some graphs that give a different take on what the news media is feeding us.  Notice the huge spike in media coverage of this virus vs. recent others that supposedly threatened humanity.
https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/?fbclid=IwAR1F8vuK3OYEzoX1xBXCms0F6IqrwOs3W_Vy_aM0D8RCMuUm9qrzPTL69AI

Hype and absurdity? At this late date?

You have got to be kidding me!?!?!?!?!?

Wake the **** up Bruce!!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2020, 07:59:03 AM »
My wife and I had to get groceries yesterday (the next time this is necessary I'll be doing it alone to limit our exposure). Wally's has senior hour from 6a to 7a on Tuesday for folks over 60, we got in line to enter at 6. We both wore masks and gloves.

For the most part we were able to get the stuff that we needed/wanted, no ice cream though, ice cream was completely sold out. No orange juice either.

Most people in the store maintained their distance but twice I had to tell someone to back away and get out of my space. One of them apologized, saying that he forgot. How do you forget?

What was worrisome for me was the fact that the employees didn't seem to be taking any kind or precautions, especially the cashiers. Very few of the workers wore gloves and none had masks on.

As I stood in the produce section, waiting for my wife to pick out stuff, I watched a employee stocking fruit. The man wore gloves but over and over I saw him wiping his nose and touching his face, with his gloves and then go right back to handling the fruit.

Up at the checkout lines the cashiers didn't distance themselves from customers, at all.

Good luck to you all.