Author Topic: Lost FAB, how screwed am I?  (Read 4962 times)

Offline YHSublime

Lost FAB, how screwed am I?
« on: September 21, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I bought my ZG used 3 years ago, it's a 2013, and I have been super happy with everything, sans the gas cap, which I swapped out for one without a key! Yesterday I was riding, and the zipper of the pocket that was holding my fab came undone, and of course, the FAB had fallen out. I have retraced my ride, and there is no getting it back, it's gone.

The bike came with the stove pipe key (of course) and only one fab. I have been reading, but it sounds like there should have been a small 2.25"x1" emergency fab with a key in it as well, that only activates on the gas tank.

An expensive Uber ride home, and of course I wheel locked it, luckily in a residential neighborhood, but on the street, 45 min away from me. I reached out to the PO who says he never got the "spare" and he gave me the name of the dealership he got it from. Of course, this is like 4 years later, so I'm not confident in them pulling something out of the hat.

While I'm thankful that this bike is super hard to steal, I'm super frustrated about being in this situation, and not thinking about making copies or emergency fabs for situations just like this. What are my options?
2013 kawasaki concours 14

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Lost FAB, how screwed am I?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »
Tow it to the dealer and bend over. You're screwed dude.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
Follow this post:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23715.0

Maybe PM the original poster, Chile62, and see how he makes out.

Good luck.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 09:51:36 AM »
but it sounds like there should have been a small 2.25"x1" emergency fab with a key in it as well, that only activates on the gas tank.

Not much help if you don't have it but the thin RFID only FOB you are speaking of will also activate the bike by putting it up against the front area of the stove knob. It would also have let the dealer program a new active FOB. But with neither FOB you will need a new ECU.  :'(

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
Tow it to the dealer and bend over. You're screwed dude.

I figured I should start lubing up. Expensive mistake, what's that they say about hindsight?

Follow this post:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23715.0

Maybe PM the original poster, Chile62, and see how he makes out.

Good luck.

This is helpful, thank you very much. There's some comfort in knowing I'm not the only one with this gut wrenching problem.

Not much help if you don't have it but the thin RFID only FOB you are speaking of will also activate the bike by putting it up against the front area of the stove knob. It would also have let the dealer program a new active FOB. But with neither FOB you will need a new ECU.  :'(

So there's the snowballs chance in hell that somebody from the past 4 years, be it the PO or the Dealer, has the RFID. Unfortunately, PO doesn't have annnny clue what I'm talking about, and the dealership, after talking to 5 people, said "You're looking for the spare key 4 years later, do you have any idea how many bikes we've sold since then?" After explaining to them a little further about my conundrum, they understood, but seeing as they didn't even know about the RFID, outcome looks gloomy.

I'm kicking myself for not doing a thorough reading of the manual when I bought it. I'm kicking myself for not just keeping the damn Fab in the "lock box" which I'd rather break open in case of an emergency or dead battery. Cheaper than the alternative, and is what the place the bike was bought from does as well. I asked if they had a procedure for tracking keys when the bikes came in, and they said they just put them into the lock box on the motorcycle.
2013 kawasaki concours 14

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »
Common problem unfortunately.  I was lucky when I got mine used since it came with 2 full-function FOB's.  I guess Kawasaki changed the way they deliver bikes after the '09 models and started including the passive FOB as a backup.

Anyway, you are (most likely) going to have to replace the KIPASS ECU with a new/used one that has at least one FOB.  If you can find a used one for your model year that is.

I have read in this forum about someone who had their RFID FOB cloned using an automobile key at a dealership.  If you can find a dealer that knows how then I suggest you have several made.  And, if you do find a dealer that can do it, let us know.  I'd like to make a few spares myself.

Long story short:
1. Purchase a replacement KIPASS ECU w/at least one FOB.
2. Marry the ECU and FOB(s) to the bike.  Requires KDS system and a visit to the dealer (trailer the bike?) unless you know someone with KDS.

Good luck.  You'll get through this.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 12:47:51 PM »
I found this video last week that explains how the car key thing is done and shows it working. No KDS required as it clones the RFID chip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdaFCRSicGM  Unfortunately, he doesn't say which key blank to use and didn't respond to that question in the comments. I've tried contacting him but no luck. I've gone to 2 Denver area Ace Hardwares in the last week and after explaining to the clerks what it was all about they both checked with someone more experienced or a manager and was told, "no, we can't do it". Didn't even try to help find a key blank that would work. Maybe someone else can find a more helpful "think outside the box" Ace Hardware. I've got one more to try up in the foothills that has been more helpful in the past. If I get up there this weekend I'll see if they will try.

Of course this doesn't help the guys who are down to 0 fobs at the moment but could help others in the future.

Leo

Offline Freddy

The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline tonedeaf2

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 08:36:07 PM »
This is a bit hysterical, but this is the way the new Gold Wing I just bought handles the lost FOB issue. It is really quite hysterical -- but at least they have provided an option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6KIo5NLzDE

Offline Freddy

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 10:47:19 PM »
  :rotflmao:    :loco: :nuts: :doh:     I like KIPASS.   :chugbeer:

Offline Freddy

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 03:39:48 AM »
I found this video last week that explains how the car key thing is done and shows it working. No KDS required as it clones the RFID chip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdaFCRSicGM  Unfortunately, he doesn't say which key blank to use and didn't respond to that question in the comments. I've tried contacting him but no luck. I've gone to 2 Denver area Ace Hardwares in the last week and after explaining to the clerks what it was all about they both checked with someone more experienced or a manager and was told, "no, we can't do it". Didn't even try to help find a key blank that would work. Maybe someone else can find a more helpful "think outside the box" Ace Hardware. I've got one more to try up in the foothills that has been more helpful in the past. If I get up there this weekend I'll see if they will try.

Of course this doesn't help the guys who are down to 0 fobs at the moment but could help others in the future.

Leo

I had a qualified locksmith clone my one & only fob a while ago.  He used an Ilco TK100 which looks like the one in the vid. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 04:39:03 AM »
Indian has something a bit similar to start the bike in the event of the fob battery going out but the code can be changed to whatever you want it to be...4 or 5 digits and is input through the turn signal switch.  Much easier to do than the Honda method.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 09:07:14 AM »
Indian has something a bit similar to start the bike in the event of the fob battery going out but the code can be changed to whatever you want it to be...4 or 5 digits and is input through the turn signal switch.  Much easier to do than the Honda method.

Same for the Ducati Multistrada. You can operate the bike forever using just the pin. Takes about 10 seconds to enter it.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
My stepson is a locksmith. After seeing this thread I gave hime my passive fob and asked to clone it. It worked, he said it was easy. H said the chip costs $25. He said he would  clone for $75 return shipping included if anyone is interested.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 06:17:28 AM »
Check the "For Sale" section.  A refurbished one is listed.
Either way good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 03:13:55 PM »
I had a qualified locksmith clone my one & only fob a while ago.  He used an Ilco TK100 which looks like the one in the vid.

Freddy, did he also cut the key section so it works in the locks? Thanks.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
I love that you're calling it a Fab :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »
I love that you're calling it a Fab :thumbs: :chugbeer:

It's totally fab
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 05:37:21 PM »
Check the "For Sale" section.  A refurbished one is listed.
Either way good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

it's from an '08
OP has a '13

won't interchange ..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..