Author Topic: Replacing front turn signal bulb  (Read 31723 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Replacing front turn signal bulb
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2015, 05:47:38 PM »
I have some land in the Dismal Swamp...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
Has anyone considered installing an 1157 receptical and bulb in the t/s housing? Or a 3157 or whatever. ..
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

elp_jc

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2015, 06:26:06 PM »
The moment someone can identify such a bulb (one that is as bright or brighter), fits, and has a reasonable light throw in all needed directions, I will buy... my wallet is open and waiting.
That makes the 2 of us ;). Not going to spend $100 (with the special blinker) to be less safe ;D. Unfortunately, RBX didn't feel like helping, and never took a 10-sec video with LED and incandescent side to side (takes a minute to replace a rear bulb). Oh well. I think he used the eBay ones ($30/pair). The only other bulbs are the 18T mentioned by webbikeworld (superbrightleds, $39/pair), but didn't do it side by side, and recording in a half-circle, to see how well they illuminate from the sides. Let's keep waiting brother.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2015, 10:27:14 PM »
That makes the 2 of us ;). Not going to spend $100 (with the special blinker) to be less safe ;D. Unfortunately, RBX didn't feel like helping, and never took a 10-sec video with LED and incandescent side to side (takes a minute to replace a rear bulb). Oh well. I think he used the eBay ones ($30/pair). The only other bulbs are the 18T mentioned by webbikeworld (superbrightleds, $39/pair), but didn't do it side by side, and recording in a half-circle, to see how well they illuminate from the sides. Let's keep waiting brother.

Lot of interesting statements in there... I'm not on here EVERY day (just MOST of them).

The relay is under the long panel on the right side of the seat, so you remove the seat, small panel under the grab bars and rear tray, then the long panel. All in all, pretty easy to get to.

Not sure which bulbs I have (it was 4 years ago), but I don't buy anything on eBay. They may be the Superbrights mentioned, but I just don't recall. I know they're the taller tower-style bulb, not coated, and they're not as bright as the incandescent were. I'm still waiting for a good side by side comparison like the rest of you. I also have the smoked lenses on all 4 corners, which doesn't help the brightness issues.

No idea about the 3rd wire... Everything still works, so I haven't given it a second thought.

I'd take a video, but without an incandescent in one of the lamps, it won't properly represent the difference... And I'm not going to disassemble the back of my bike to do it. And I don't think I have any incandescent bulbs laying around.

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

elp_jc

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2015, 11:53:55 PM »
I'd take a video, but without an incandescent in one of the lamps, it won't properly represent the difference... And I'm not going to disassemble the back of my bike to do it.
You didn't keep the incandescent bulbs? And 'disassemble'? Puleeze ;D. It's just one philips screw and the rear housing is out. You could swap bulbs in less than a minute. I'd paypal you what a new bulb costs (plus your gas), but have the feeling the bulb is not the problem ;D. But hey, we understand. If you could at least take a picture of the bulb to know which one it is, it'd be greatly appreciated, since many of us don't want a dimmer bulb just for the sake of having LEDs. Thanks man.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2015, 12:32:58 AM »
You didn't keep the incandescent bulbs? And 'disassemble'? Puleeze ;D. It's just one philips screw and the rear housing is out. You could swap bulbs in less than a minute. I'd paypal you what a new bulb costs (plus your gas), but have the feeling the bulb is not the problem ;D. But hey, we understand. If you could at least take a picture of the bulb to know which one it is, it'd be greatly appreciated, since many of us don't want a dimmer bulb just for the sake of having LEDs. Thanks man.

You're pushing all my buttons, aren't ya? I'm supposed to be asleep right now.

I have to admit, I've had this bike for 4 years and never realized that 1 screw was all that was needed for the rear lenses... Last time I worked on those I had the whole thing apart to install the Hypers, so that was the process I had in my head. Everything apart for the paint job, but I never noticed that one... dammit.

So, to satisfy you... And try to save face:

Couldn't find a brand printed on it.

I took one pic of them blinking, you can kinda compare them to the brake (just the running light)...

Next time I have the bike out (in the daylight) I'll take a video to show them in sunlight, to help gauge the visibility. But like I said before, I have smoked lenses, so take these with a grain of salt.

And no, I don't have the bulbs since I moved in the iast year... I purged some of the stuff I didn't need anymore, but I'll gladly accept your money, now that I realize it's just a single screw in the way... and post a comparison.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

elp_jc

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
Thanks man; appreciate the help. Unfortunately, can't find that bulb anywhere, so it makes little sense to compare it to an incandescent. Was hoping it was the one from superbrightleds.com, which is the one below (the only one available with a european base):

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/filter/Cross_Reference_Number,BAU15S,21,196:?view=standard

Yours is too long, and doesn't have the newer high-powered LEDs. VLEDS doesn't list a similar one, but last time I bought a pair of 'hi-vis' for the city lights, they had coated white LEDs, and looked like crap. Just washed-out white with an ugly orangy tint. You need amber LEDs, but light output will always be less. Those above might be equivalent to the 21W incandescent, but we'll never know until somebody tries them ;D.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2015, 12:18:41 PM »
... Yours is too long, and doesn't have the newer high-powered LEDs. ...

Yeah, I remember that I was worried they weren't going to fit, especially in the front (the smoked fronts don't have as much room as the stock clear ones). I looked at the Superbright site and had the same conclusion that these weren't there.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 01:19:27 PM »
I know the rear blinkers 1156 have the BAU15S base. Does the 1157 fronts have
the same 150deg base or does it have the regular 180deg base.

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »

I can't answer definitively, but I think it would be beyond crazy if they were not the same.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »
I believe they are both the same and 180 degrees apart on the retaining pins. The difference is that an 1157 is a dual filament bulb and has dual contacts on the bottom while an 1156 is a single filament and only has a single contact on the bottom.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2015, 06:34:15 PM »
The rear blinkers have a BAU15S 150deg base on the 2014 C14. I just want to know if the front blinkers are also BAU15S 150deg

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2015, 07:44:33 PM »

Gigantor - yes, the front and rear bulbs are the same.

Fork

elp_jc

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »
The rear blinkers have a BAU15S 150deg base on the 2014 C14. I just want to know if the front blinkers are also BAU15S 150deg
By DOT rules, an amber 1156 bulb needs to have a BAU15S base, to prevent accidentally installing a clear bulb with a clear lens (illegal). You can find tons of LED amber lights with the regular 1156 base (for those changing from amber to clear lenses). But unfortunately, BAU15S amber LED bulbs are very hard to find; just a few choices.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 06:13:26 PM »
Anyway, I am now interested in this flasher you posted/mentioned:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/67453/i/dmp-led-flasher-relay?WT.ac=SLIsearch

It is the cheapest by far, and from a site I already do business with.  Are you saying I can replace a single relay with no splicing and bam- it controls all turn signals AND emergency flashers?  (My load resistor failed and I am having some issues again and this might be the easiest solution).

It took a while before I was ready to buy, since I wanted free shipping (but had to buy some shields and things too).  Well, I got in the above part and installed it and it is GREAT!  Turn signals work and the emergency flashers work just like they should!  No diode needed (at least not in my setup).  It is strange that the OEM flasher is three conductor but the solid state replacement one is only two conductor (on two wires in the three conductor plug).

I am posting photos of the procedure below.  Note there is a hidden screw that has to be removed after "remove2.jpg" which is under that cover, but not shown.  Note that there is nothing to hold the new flasher inside the rubber mount, so I just drilled a hole right through the assembly and put in a screw.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2015, 06:14:25 PM »
rest of the pics

elp_jc

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2015, 01:23:44 AM »
It is strange that the OEM flasher is three conductor but the solid state replacement one is only two conductor (on two wires in the three conductor plug).
Finally got my hands on a wire diagram. That 3rd wire is responsible for triggering the hyperflashing when one of the bulbs burns out, so it's not needed. But if one of your new turn-signal bulbs crap out with that aftermarket relay, you wouldn't know, and could be dangerous. Therefore, check them regularly for your own safety.

Hey Maxtog, I'd be embarrassed to show those HUGE chicken strips on the above photos man. Ha ha. Just giving you a hard time. Probably just new tires, no? If I wasn't leaning this beast to the peg feelers, I'd just ride a touring bike; much more comfortable ;). Anyway, with those tires, you can lean the bike all the way to their edges with full confidence. Just took my bike on its first trip, and based on so many negative testimonials of the stock tires, I started leaning it cautiously. But quickly progressed to the edge of the tires, almost scraping, and not a single hiccup. So will finish them off before switching to the awesome PRs like yours. I can only imagine how much better it will feel. Never been a fan of crapstones, but these are the best OEM such tires I've had on a bike, so pleasantly surprised I could enjoy my new bike the way I want with those tires. I'm still on break-in, so didn't put much torque on them on corner exits. I'm sure I'll find them lacking there, so will be careful. Take care.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2015, 05:46:43 AM »
Hey Maxtog, I'd be embarrassed to show those HUGE chicken strips on the above photos man. Ha ha. Just giving you a hard time. Probably just new tires, no? If I wasn't leaning this beast to the peg feelers, I'd just ride a touring bike;

The tires are pretty new, but most of my riding is done following a friend, who rides pretty slowly.  But even alone, I don't push cornering near what the bike is capable of.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2018, 04:37:04 PM »
It took a while before I was ready to buy, since I wanted free shipping (but had to buy some shields and things too).  Well, I got in the above part and installed it and it is GREAT!  Turn signals work and the emergency flashers work just like they should!  No diode needed (at least not in my setup).  It is strange that the OEM flasher is three conductor but the solid state replacement one is only two conductor (on two wires in the three conductor plug)

The link on the above threads is no longer valid.  So for those still trying to find it, the part is:

Dynamic Moto Power 579009  and/or 900-5515   It is almost plug and play (do need to mount it).

I did find it here:  https://www.dreyermotorsports.com/dynamic-moto-power-led-flasher-relay-detail.htm?productId=20795076 and on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/DMP-Motorcycle-Flasher-Yamaha-Kawasaki/dp/B00M9NGTCO

Have been using it now for over 3 years.