Author Topic: Checking in  (Read 2739 times)

Offline lostupnorth

Checking in
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:52:35 AM »
Hello to all.  Bought my first C14 about three weeks ago.  2009, Diamond Candy Red.  Previous owner had toured all 50 US states plus all 10 Canadian provinces and was now leaving for an assignment in Europe.  (You can check out his blog, and see the bike, at https://couchsurfamerica.wordpress.com.)

I bought this bike to cover off two needs: My wife and I previously moved about on an '04 Kawasaki Nomad, which I find cumbersome.  But when I ride solo (the majority of the time), I still like a sportier bike, so I have a Kawasaki '04 ZZR 1200 for my solo days.  The more forward riding position of the ZZR was wreaking havoc on my neck / shoulders. But man, that bike is sweet!

So here was the deal:  buy a 1400 Concours to do dual duty, and sell the other 2. (And yes, they are both currently for sale... end of shameless plug.)

Intended alterations/modifications/additions for this bike include:
1 GIVI top case, backrest and light package (done)
2 2" handlebar risers (done)
3 Floorboard modification for passenger (done) (my wife hates pegs, and the Nomad spoiled her)
4 Laam custom seat work (in process) (Came with a Sargent seat ... terribly uncomfortable.)
5 MC Enterprises Canyon cages (on order)
6 Highway pegs for rider (on order)
7 MC Enterprises bag protectors (on order)
8 MRE X-creen deflector (my wife says the buffeting on the back is VIOLENT)
9 RAM mount / GPS install (done)

Would love to hear any suggestions from the group on other mods or additions I should consider, based on the combined experiences you all have.

Later
Rick

The destination matters not. It's how you get there that's important.

Offline connie_rider

Re: Checking in
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
Welcome Rick. Your gonna like it here!
Sounds like you have a good plan. Others will chip in here with mods that I haven't done. (I'm relatively new to the C-14).

I'll throw out a thought. I was uncomfortable with the seat height when riding 2 up (I'm 5'-8"). As your used to the (lower) Nomad, lowering the bike might be a thought. Dropping mine down 1" made a huge difference to me.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:22:12 AM »
Keep that ZZR if you can. They don't sell for enough money to justify not having one.
The Connie is a great bike, but doesn't have the 'tude the 1200 delivers. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline lostupnorth

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 08:27:33 AM »
Hi Ted,

Yes, the lowering thought had crossed my mind.  I'm not overly tall, and one of the Nomad's pluses was the lower rider position.  I can currently get the balls of my feet down on the C14, and I'm hoping the Laam modification to my seat will get me even lower.  If not, then the lowering option is on the table.

I have a fellow up here who works on my bike who seems quite knowledgeable. When I asked him about lowering, his response was: anything over about 1/2" and the bike will not handle as well.

Did you find this? Did you adjust the front fork height to re-balance the bike?  Lastly, whose lowering links did you use?

Thanks for the welcome!

Offline lostupnorth

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 08:30:26 AM »
Hi jimmymac:  I hear that!  I love that ZZR, so I am keeping my price high, and my fingers crossed no one calls! But don't tell my wife.  ;)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »
I have a fellow up here who works on my bike who seems quite knowledgeable. When I asked him about lowering, his response was: anything over about 1/2" and the bike will not handle as well.      Did you find this? Did you adjust the front fork height to re-balance the bike?  Lastly, whose lowering links did you use?

I lowered the bike out of necessity. (Wasn't comfortable 2 up with the stock height).
But, once I did the change, I was glad I did! Bike fits me better now.
NOTE: In addition to Lowering links, bar risers and new stands are needed.

I used the Muzzy Lowering links (1") as I was told not to use the adjustable links (that would allow 1/2").
  (ie: The adjustable lowering links supposedly mean you have to remove the center stand)

NOTE: Lowering the bike makes it necessary to also shorten the side and center stands.
          Many buy aftermarket. (being frugal/poor) I modified my stands to save $$ and it worked out fine..

When lowering the bike: I measured (axle to frame) pretty exactly and lowered the front to match the rear.
  (I think lowering the front the same amount keeps the geometry basically the same as stock.
     (Not certain of exact numbers. Suspension Guru's can help here.)

I didn't ride the bike enough (prior to the change) to notice anything. Plus, I'm not especially good at noticing finer adjustments. I don't recall anyone saying the lowering effected anything, if both front and rear are adjusted equally?
On the C-14 I "have" noticed that it takes effort to get the bike to lean over into a turn. I prefer that it falls into a turn.
I'm hoping that eventually moving from the stock tires to a PR-4 (in a 55 series) tire will help that. Others (who are better than I on suspensions) have recommended that tire. (And hopefully they will clarify my thoughts)

Ride safe, Ted

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Lost. :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours