Poll

Have you tried the "TPS Calibration" Procedure?  What are your findings?  (After you vote here, Describe your actual findings in a post, and please note the mileage you believe the issue started, and the current mileage on your bike.)

Gen 1, Throttle Issues Before, Running Smooth After.
2 (2.7%)
Gen 1, Throttle Issues Before, No Change.
1 (1.3%)
Gen 1, Throttle Issues Before, Running Rough After.
0 (0%)
Gen 1, Throttle OK Before, Running Smooth After.
3 (4%)
Gen 1, Throttle OK Before, No Change.
10 (13.3%)
Gen 1, Throttle OK Before, Running Rough After.
0 (0%)
-------------------------------BREAK-------------------------------
0 (0%)
Gen 2, Throttle Issues Before, Running Smooth After.
7 (9.3%)
Gen 2, Throttle Issues Before, No Change.
1 (1.3%)
Gen 2, Throttle Issues Before, Running Rough After.
0 (0%)
Gen 2, Throttle OK Before, Running Smooth After.
1 (1.3%)
Gen 2, Throttle OK Before, No Change.
2 (2.7%)
Gen 2, Throttle OK Before, Running Rough After.
0 (0%)
-------------------------------BREAK-------------------------------
0 (0%)
Engine WARM when calibration sequence was run.
11 (14.7%)
Engine COLD when calibration sequence was run.
13 (17.3%)
Have you unplugged your battery, and the issues started AFTER the battery unplug?
1 (1.3%)
Have you unplugged your battery, but the issues started BEFORE the battery unplug?
2 (2.7%)
After Calibration FUEL MILEAGE INCREASED (Assuming same riding style)
2 (2.7%)
After Calibration FUEL MILEAGE DECREASED (Assuming same riding style)
0 (0%)
Did your Idle INCREASE?
1 (1.3%)
Did your Idle STAY THE SAME?
15 (20%)
Did your Idle DECREASE?
3 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Trying to narrow down an air/fuel issue... (SOLVED! - TPS Recalibration)  (Read 73104 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: Trying to narrow down an air/fuel issue... (SOLVED! - TPS Recalibration)
« Reply #240 on: September 30, 2014, 02:37:08 PM »

I do not have any type of Kawi source/contact, if I did I would be asking them, surely out of curiosity someone will make the call?

I have asked the only guy I know that is deeply into these ECU's, and he has not responded in over a week or so. His non-response may be an answer in itself, but I'll wait patiently to hear back regardless. Whatever the answer is, I will be sure to share it with everybody;).

Rem

If anybody knows Ivan of Ivan's Performance in NY, he would definitely know the answer. I've talked to him several times over the years, but 'm not calling him to ask...and he doesn't do email;). He has his own custom made ECU software which is quite involved, so if anybody knows, he would;).

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #241 on: September 30, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
Just read through the COG posts, curious as to what the UK guys are saying, but I am not interested in yet another forum.  Anyone care to share?

Offline tomp

« Reply #242 on: September 30, 2014, 06:14:14 PM »
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #243 on: September 30, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »
gotta register to look

Offline tomp

« Reply #244 on: September 30, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »
Didn't know that, I  am a member.  FWIW, lots of great folks and info in things not discussed here.  Sign up, what's to lose???   tp

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #245 on: September 30, 2014, 06:28:29 PM »
Very good people.  They don't post as much as us but very good info that is sometimes cross posted here.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #246 on: September 30, 2014, 06:47:19 PM »
REM: 

Sorry if my chart was offensive... Wasn't intended to be... As Brian said, we need fuel readings.

At the same time, if you ran the tests at 25% throttle, that could be outside of a "Safety net" if it's in there, as others have mentioned. 

And as far as the engine temp goes, I don't know why it would matter when you did the calibration, but it could matter what you experience right off the bat... Engines always chug for the first bit while they're cold if you put a load on them.  Some of us don't always have time to let the engine fully warm up before taking off. Not that anyone on here needs that explanation.. Just continuing to dig my own grave... lol

2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline tomp

« Reply #247 on: September 30, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »
Very good people.  They don't post as much as us but very good info that is sometimes cross posted here.

Being they are 5-8 hours ahead of us, it's sometimes hard to keep a conversation going.  Found the same with other brand/model forums based across the pond too. 

FWIW, some of the best info I have gained over the years, has been on BMW forums from members from OZ and NZ.  Those guys LOVE their motorcycles... tp

Stephen, from post 1, I have believed your video showed something more than dirty pots and cables.  Maybe someday we will finally know what that something is.  You proved a change in the video.  Have you retried the test at the test change baseline, so as to replicate the RPM acceleration difference?   Your fan, tomp

Son of Pappy

« Reply #248 on: September 30, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »
gotta register to look
Good luck.  Just wasted 15 minutes trying to register.  Is it 1352, 1352cc, or 1352 cc, or 1,352 etc?  Do I use ZG/GTR as model, C14, ZG 1400????  Yes, as frustrated as Kirby trying to crack a nut >:(

Offline tomp

« Reply #249 on: September 30, 2014, 08:19:16 PM »
Good luck.  Just wasted 15 minutes trying to register.  Is it 1352, 1352cc, or 1352 cc, or 1,352 etc?  Do I use ZG/GTR as model, C14, ZG 1400????  Yes, as frustrated as Kirby trying to crack a nut >:(
  1400 is the correct answer.  I tried those others, too....Need to keep it simple.  GTR 1400= 1400, try that. 

Son of Pappy

« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2014, 08:23:29 PM »
  1400 is the correct answer.  I tried those others, too....Need to keep it simple.  GTR 1400= 1400, try that.
Wow, so they want uninformed members joining?  I will try ONE more time...

And, thank you :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »
Try recalibrating your mouse: turn the computer on, then push the mouse forward as far as it will go, then reverse it as far as it will go. Do this two times and turn the computer off. Then when you restart the computer, it will run faster and you will be able to get into the UK forum.

Sorry Chet, just could not resist....  :rotflmao:

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tomp

« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2014, 08:30:14 PM »
OK Brian, remember they are all asleep at this time....   1400=1400, not 1352 or any thing else.  Remember they are Brits.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
Try recalibrating your mouse: turn the computer on, then push the mouse forward as far as it will go, then reverse it as far as it will go. Do this two times and turn the computer off. Then when you restart the computer, it will run faster and you will be able to get into the UK forum.

Sorry Chet, just could not resist....  :rotflmao:

Brian
I tried pushing the mouse, but the tail broke..  I couldn't find the power button so I turned off the main circuit breaker.  After being chased around the house (twice, in each direction) I run faster (than my wife).  When I got back in the house I was a new member in the UK forum ;D  Not convinced that these steps actually had anything to do with being accepted, so we will need other non members do the same thing.  Just remember to enter in an incorrect engine size for the bike :o

Offline tomp

« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2014, 08:43:21 PM »
You know it's not about accuracy, but about keeping computer troll systems from being a part of their group.  Nice bunch, over there, for sure.  Don't go if you don't want to join, like I did... tp

Son of Pappy

« Reply #255 on: September 30, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »
You know it's not about accuracy, but about keeping computer troll systems from being a part of their group.  Nice bunch, over there, for sure.  Don't go if you don't want to join, like I did... tp
Yup!!  No issues, just venting a bit...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »
Yeah, been dealing with them on and off for years. Almost fluent in the language although sometimes the individual use of some words still throw me.

I joined that forum quite a while ago and stop by now and then. And yep, seems like a nice enough group but again, their talking about destinations and various local situations falls short of a Yank's understanding a lot of the time. This is not to imply that I follow what is going on on this forum though.... :-)

Brian

OK Brian, remember they are all asleep at this time....   1400=1400, not 1352 or any thing else.  Remember they are Brits.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tomp

« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2014, 09:02:18 PM »
Yeah, been dealing with them on and off for years. Almost fluent in the language although sometimes the individual use of some words still throw me.

I joined that forum quite a while ago and stop by now and then. And yep, seems like a nice enough group but again, their talking about destinations and various local situations falls short of a Yank's understanding a lot of the time. This is not to imply that I follow what is going on on this forum though.... :-)

Brian
When you get my age, you take time to listen to others, and make sure you don't miss anything important, before you are just ashes and dust.   I love to visit with folks from all over the world, now.  It was just a distant dream when I was young.  Today, a reality, thanks to this interweb thing.... tp

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #258 on: October 01, 2014, 03:21:04 AM »
REM: 

Sorry if my chart was offensive... Wasn't intended to be... As Brian said, we need fuel readings.

At the same time, if you ran the tests at 25% throttle, that could be outside of a "Safety net" if it's in there, as others have mentioned. 

Stephen,

Nossir, nothing has been offensive in any way, and I didn't mean to sound too gruff about any of this stuff either;)./.

All is good on this end;). Carry on folks...I'm just along for the ride;).

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #259 on: October 01, 2014, 06:23:31 AM »
Tomp:  i did try to un-cal and -re-cal it but to no change. Havent had any time to mess with it tho because of work (yay being self employed... Either dead ir slammed, and slammed more recently... Business is a good problem to have tho!)

Im out of town for the next week, away from the connie :(
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD