Author Topic: Maine - Lobster "shacks" and nice roads  (Read 8407 times)

Offline Strawboss

Re: Maine - Lobster "shacks" and nice roads
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »
We also stopped in a town called Damarascotta(sp)? Nice small pub owned by a guy from Cleveland, and a small fish market near the river that has GREAT smoked anything. Stop at any lighthouse. Freeport has built up a little too much to be quaint in my opinion, its still different than other small towns and worth a stop, just know before it may be crowded.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 07:21:45 AM »
I live in Wells, Maine. I can't think of any real lobster shacks. I just go buy lobsters and cook them at home. There are a lot of specials in restraunts that offer twin lobster dinners.
You have to ride through Hampton Beach, NH and Old Orchard Beach in Maine. I love Old Orchard.
Portland Maine has Dimillo's Floating Restraunt. Pricey, but very cool. Great food. And there is a small place in Portland called Susan's Fish and Chips. Not sureif She offers lobster, but fried seafood is great. I just don't eat much seafood.
Joel from Maine.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 04:07:02 AM »
That place is for tourists.

And your point being.....?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Hang2er

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 04:56:38 AM »
I always get good food here http://fostersclambake.com/ in York ME.  Two NH attractions you should hit are http://whitehorsegear.com/ in Conway, just over the boarder into NH on Rte 302.  Also just 20 minutes or so from white horse is http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/.  Decent rides all around that area.  Rte 112 out if Conway for twisties and 302 west for fast sweeping curves.  Both travel through National Forest so if you do get stuck behind traffic the views almost make up for it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 12:09:22 PM »
I always get good food here http://fostersclambake.com/ in York ME.  Two NH attractions you should hit are http://whitehorsegear.com/ in Conway, just over the boarder into NH on Rte 302.  Also just 20 minutes or so from white horse is http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/.  Decent rides all around that area.  Rte 112 out if Conway for twisties and 302 west for fast sweeping curves.  Both travel through National Forest so if you do get stuck behind traffic the views almost make up for it.

Thanks!  Whitehorse gear could cause me to drop some FL cash in Me big time  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 07:52:45 PM »
Hit one of them shacks in Kittery, ME for crustacean rolls tonight.  Those critters have gotten more pricey so bring lots of FLA cash. 8)
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline stewart

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 09:56:22 AM »
Steve,

Send me a PM on your schedule, I'll either be in MA or ME up near Damariscotta,ME. Or our near Vasselboro, ME riding with some cruiser friends. We can either hook up for lunch, or I might be able to ride up/down/around with you.

All this is pending approval with the SO and travel for work.

Stewart
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline red44

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »
Can't help much on the coastal route but I've spent alot of time in Western Me (Kingfield/Rangley area) and it's beautiful country.If you don't want to ride the coast on the way home it's a nice alternative. Not so many people. Rt 4 from Farmington to Rangley, or 4 to 27 to up thru kingfield, carrabasit, stratton to rangley,  both eventually to rt 16 over to NH. Gotta stop at LL Cote's in Errol NH for everything sporting goods. Like LL Bean and Kittery trading post combined. From there you work your way south/west to rt 3 to 93 or just stay on 16. 26 over to Colebrook NH brings you thru Dixville notch, pretty.
If your wanting to stay just a bit lower, go  rt 2 in Me out through Bethel, grab 113 down through the national forest to 153, then to 16 (about mid NH). from 16 you can go all the way back to 95 if you want. Or, if you swing far west enough, you can go down 84 from western ma, down through Hartford CT into Pa. 84 down through S/W CT and NY into PA has some nice views and elevations. I tend to go where there are less people and traffic. You'll be sharing those western me roads with a couple tourist and logging trucks. I don't know if that means it's off your list or on, but it's a pretty part of New England. Deer, bears, and moose, so be on the lookout. Moose are the worst as far as seeing them after dark.

Offline red44

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
And if you happen to be in the area of Grey Me, just off the Maine Turnpike, there is the state wild animal park. A small park but has just about every native Maine species. For that matter, you can connect up or down to/from Rangley from there too. I believe RT 26 and 17. You can hit all the euros, Poland, Norway, Paris, and even Mexico. :)
 I droned back home  rt 4 to the Me turnpike from Kingfield to southeast ma enough to look for alternate routes. Going over into NH, HIGHER, breaks up the boredome. 95 sucks, and there is'nt anything in Ma along 95 worth stopping for. The only thing it's good for is getting you out of here quick. Rt 1 north of Boston might be something, but I've never slowed down enough to investigate it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »
thanks guys,

Stewart for this ride I don't have a schedule not sure when I'll be there, friends and relatives and Appalachian mountain twisties a lot of the way. But I'll ping you as i near, thanks!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine