Author Topic: Front Right Caliper - doing all of the work  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Front Right Caliper - doing all of the work
« on: May 14, 2017, 12:42:24 PM »
I will save the long tedious build up to why I am nearing my wits end with this latest maintenance shutdown.  Let's just say that I'm glad I did it.

The front/right brake pads are worn to the metal.  The left side looks fresh as the day I put them on.  What the heck?

Bleed the left side maybe?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Front Right Caliper - doing all of the work
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 03:50:34 PM »
Does your bike have linked brakes? If so, which side is 'linked' to the rear brake. And finally, do you use the rear brake much?

Brian

I will save the long tedious build up to why I am nearing my wits end with this latest maintenance shutdown.  Let's just say that I'm glad I did it.

The front/right brake pads are worn to the metal.  The left side looks fresh as the day I put them on.  What the heck?

Bleed the left side maybe?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Tree

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »
It's a 2008.  I don't think the brakes are linked in any way.  I don't use the rear brake at all.

I bled some fluid from the LS caliper just to see if it had any air.  Didn't see any.  The reservoir level looked OK but the rubber boot was distended downwards.  I restored it just in case some crazy vacuum issue might exist.  Probably not since both front calipers use the same reservoir.

I replaced the worn pads on the RS today.  Pumped the front brake lever and watched both LS and RS calipers squeeze.  They both move so I can't figure why the LS pads aren't wearing.

So, as I read this, I wonder if the LS fork seal leak could have been the culprit.  I don't think it was leaking for very long or I would have noticed something amiss much sooner, wouldn't I?  Those RS pads were totally gone though which means that they were doing all of the work.  But I replaced the pads on both sides months ago...  It is entirely possible that the fork fluid completely negated the LS caliper and the RS burnt through.

I will have to wait and see I guess.  I have new seals and pads.  Time will tell.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 07:42:02 PM »
OK, no linked brakes on an '08 for sure.

Even with air on one caliper side, the pressure throughout the system should be the same and the other caliper's pads should have moved. I would then suspect a frozen or at least stiff (Boys!) set of pistons on the non- worn side. New seals and clean pistons and all should be well, or at least I believe so. Hydraulics and even pneumatic are self- equalizing regarding pressure at all points in the system, at least  a static system (no fluid flow).

Brian

It's a 2008.  I don't think the brakes are linked in any way.  I don't use the rear brake at all.

I bled some fluid from the LS caliper just to see if it had any air.  Didn't see any.  The reservoir level looked OK but the rubber boot was distended downwards.  I restored it just in case some crazy vacuum issue might exist.  Probably not since both front calipers use the same reservoir.

I replaced the worn pads on the RS today.  Pumped the front brake lever and watched both LS and RS calipers squeeze.  They both move so I can't figure why the LS pads aren't wearing.

So, as I read this, I wonder if the LS fork seal leak could have been the culprit.  I don't think it was leaking for very long or I would have noticed something amiss much sooner, wouldn't I?  Those RS pads were totally gone though which means that they were doing all of the work.  But I replaced the pads on both sides months ago...  It is entirely possible that the fork fluid completely negated the LS caliper and the RS burnt through.

I will have to wait and see I guess.  I have new seals and pads.  Time will tell.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 06:03:30 AM »
Note that Kawasaki calls for servicing the brake calipers and master every 4 years or 30K miles.  (Service manual page 2-5.)

Something is binding up, most likely in the one that's overly worn that is keeping it in contact with the rotor all the time and causing the pads to wear out prematurely.  I think the problem will become obvious once you get into the brakes.

Offline Tree

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
Note that Kawasaki calls for servicing the brake calipers and master every 4 years or 30K miles.  (Service manual page 2-5.)

Something is binding up, most likely in the one that's overly worn that is keeping it in contact with the rotor all the time and causing the pads to wear out prematurely.  I think the problem will become obvious once you get into the brakes.

This is a very good observation.  I have 38K miles and it is prudent to at least consider servicing all of the calipers.  I appreciate the acceleration of my Connie but I value being able to stop much  more.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread.  This is a fantastic forum.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 12:06:03 PM »
BDF is right. The 08, which is like mine, is non linked, and here's something I learned over the years about motorcycle brakes...well, it actually was the first time I put pads on a bike back in the mid 80s. My 900 Eliminator to be exact. Motorcycles have no dust boot between the the caliper seal, and the atmosphere, just a wiper. It's adequate for keeping out the garbage as long as the piston moves out under normal wear, but when the pistons are pushed back in for routine pad replacement, it will almost always result in sticking pistons, unless certain steps are followed. The most guilty of not following these steps are....yep...dealer mechanics.

The steps are:

1 while the caliper is off, use a brush, I prefer an old toothbrush, an a solution of soap (Dawn) and water, and scrub the f**k outta the pistons, where they are protruding from the caliper. You might want to gently pump them a little farther out to get all the crud.

2 Dry everything off with some air, or wait for it to dry on it's own.

3 Now You can push the pistons back in. Attach a clear hose to the bleeder, and crack it open to keep from pushing grungy fluid back through the system. (while pushing the pistons in, you should be able to do it with your fingers)

I started a thread with pics of my pad replacement method, but can't find it. If I do, i'll link it here.....found it. link http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9205.0
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Tree

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
Pretty damn surreal if you ask me 'cause I just finished reading your post about brake pad replacement.  No kidding.  I have many "Lessons Learned" and I don't mind sharing the more spectacular ones if it will save someone else some grief.

***Take the time to do the really easy/simple stuff like replacing tired old fluid.  Fluids wear out just like most other mechanical stuff.  It is mechanical when you get right down to it.  A couple feet of plastic hose and a "catch" is part of my kit now.***

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »
Pretty damn surreal if you ask me 'cause I just finished reading your post about brake pad replacement.  No kidding.  I have many "Lessons Learned" and I don't mind sharing the more spectacular ones if it will save someone else some grief.

***Take the time to do the really easy/simple stuff like replacing tired old fluid.  Fluids wear out just like most other mechanical stuff.  It is mechanical when you get right down to it.  A couple feet of plastic hose and a "catch" is part of my kit now.***
Hell yeah. Good luck with the repair, Brother.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.