Author Topic: Try a windshield for free....  (Read 242429 times)

Offline amahoser

Re: Try a windshield for free....
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:35 AM »
I don't know if I am biased but I really don't mind the Aerflow shield in the summer. I've only had the shield a short time, but in 95 to 100 degree weather, it is still comfortable. I do wear a mesh jacket and I do get airflow when riding at speed, just not a blast of wind and certainly not turbulence. I haven't had the misfortune to try it out on a really hot road trip (118 degrees a couple of summers ago on my old 2000 Connie... that was miserable!) But I would assume anything would suck in those extremes!

For the sake of science and proper testing  ;), I did a ride out in death valley. Winds were blowing up to 60mph gusts and I reached GPS verified speeds of 136mph. Majority of the run was in excess of 100mph. The Aeroflow shield and the Kawasaki mounting system held up just fine. I rode the entire trip with the windshield full up... Yes, the shield moved quite a bit, especially when the winds would gust but nothing cracked and nothing broke.  It was a bit disconcerting watching huge sand flows blow across the road but the Connie was stable. Some of the smaller bikes in our group were getting knocked around in the wind but the Connie felt great in the wind.

Jose Soriano

Offline Skinny

« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »
I bought the Aero shield a couple week ago and like it very much.
I went with the med height size. I am 5'10" and didn't want it to be too tall.  Running it 2/3 up at highway speeds makes it perfect, it even handles all up position pretty well.

Glad to hear it withstood the forces of the winds at speed. I was concerned about, and always have been, putting more stress on the kaw parts holding the shield over time at speeds, so this another reason I ducked out of buying a large.......

.....But, I'm wondering if this shield is still floating around somewhere this winter, if I could test it out vs. the med height one I have?  I'm in Oregon.

Is the large Aeroflow any wider than the med version? 
'12 C14, Aeroflow, AST risers, rad gaurd, Seth Laam Seat

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »
I'd like to try these shields. I have the V-Stream on my '08 now but it doesn't quite do the trick for me. Plus I've never been really impressed with the looks of it. Put me down in line to try these please.

Thanks,
Dave
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
I tried the V-stream and Cali-Sci earlier but now that an aero is included, I would like another shot at them.

Put me on the list.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline ZBoomer

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2012, 09:48:59 PM »
New '12 C14 owner ISO a better winshield, I'd love to try these as well... adding myself to the end of the line, thanks! :)

Offline dusty1300

« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
I would love to try out the Aeroflow. I had tried the ultra dome, not quiet. The vstream, not quiet. The XL CalSci, not quiet.  It wasn't till I put a Wunderlich deflector on top did it quiet down, but not without it's disadvantages, and then yesterday, it fell off while I was riding with it on.   I have purchased all these shields and then had to sell them. I still have an MRA sitting in a box at home I should sell:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-variotouring-screen-windshield-for-kawasaki-concours-gtr1400-08

I have been contemplating selling this bike as the air flow for me is awful. I'm 5'10", 29" inseam, but I must have a taller torso or something, because it is really loud on this bike with quite a bit of turbulence.  Now with the aeroflow reviews and maybe some baker wind wings, I can fix this.  I do like most things about the bike, but not all. But that is normal for most bikes. 

To get in the rotation, can I just say "put me on the list", or do I have to go back and find the latest list and paste it in? Can I specify just that shield or would I get them all.  Just wondering,  I wasn't clear by reading past posts, probably my fault.

Tom

Offline fsr402

« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »
Just state here that you want them. Who ever has them will send them to the next person and so on. You will get all three, they do need to stay together to keep this from become a huge mess to keep track of.

Offline dusty1300

« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
Understood, please add me to the list. I appreciate it.

Tom

Offline Skinny

« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »
Just state here that you want them. Who ever has them will send them to the next person and so on. You will get all three, they do need to stay together to keep this from become a huge mess to keep track of.

Thanks for the heads up, can I note that I only am interested in the Aeroflow Large to test.  My current Aeroflow med is fairly quiet, but wondering about difference for passenger.

Offline scav8tor

« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:57 PM »
Hello  All,  I currently have the shields and was looking for the weather to cool off a little more down here in SC to check out the differences in the Aeroflow and the VStream. I see the list of those interested from yesterday as being:

Skinny
Dras
Bosco
ZBoomer
dusty1300

If you would like to be added to the list then quote the above and put your name at the bottom. I'll pm Skinny and let get started on arranging the transfer to you of all three shields. As fsr402 stated, we need to keep them together.

Thanks all.
Any ship can be a minesweeper once.

Offline dusty1300

« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:21 PM »
I really would like to try this out, but I'm concerned about getting them in December when I won't want to test them out.  I hate to hold someone back who can still ride at that time, not to mention the cost of getting them, just to send them on.  I live in North Iowa, highs projected all this week in the 40's. Still warm enough to test, but after that, it is a crap shoot, we might have snow.

Just thought I'd pose that to the group to see how it might affect the order.  This can probably all be solved just by the PM's, so maybe I'm preaching to the choir here.  I just haven't done this before.

Tom

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2012, 05:50:28 AM »
I ride all year so I wouldn't mind trying them in January/February.

Question for those who have tried them.  Do you get back pressure with those shields?   As I raise the stock shield the wind starts to shift where it will blow down on my face shield which is great for rain, but then as I go higher it puts pressure on my back and will make my back cold and end up with more weight on my arms.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Skinny

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
I ride all year so I wouldn't mind trying them in January/February.

Question for those who have tried them.  Do you get back pressure with those shields?   As I raise the stock shield the wind starts to shift where it will blow down on my face shield which is great for rain, but then as I go higher it puts pressure on my back and will make my back cold and end up with more weight on my arms.

I'm not getting any back pressure from the med. Aeroflow.

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2012, 09:27:37 PM »
Whenever these become available I would like to try them. PM for info.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #154 on: November 11, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »
Hello  All,  I currently have the shields and was looking for the weather to cool off a little more down here in SC to check out the differences in the Aeroflow and the VStream. I see the list of those interested from yesterday as being:

Skinny
Dras
Bosco
ZBoomer
dusty1300
deepseamdv

If you would like to be added to the list then quote the above and put your name at the bottom. I'll pm Skinny and let get started on arranging the transfer to you of all three shields. As fsr402 stated, we need to keep them together.

Thanks all.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph

Offline scav8tor

« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2012, 08:44:23 PM »
Thanks for the reminder deepseamdv. I just found out my job is being outsourced and have been a little tied up but will pm skinny and get them send out by the end of the week. Thanks

Offline scav8tor

« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »
Shields sent to dras. I would echo some of the previous comments. Vstream wobbly, calsci better than stock but not enough for two up. Aeroflow great protection, good for 6 footer and two up but not very sexy. Will probably get an aerflow for my winter and two up but stay with my MRA Vario for the rest of my riding. Big thanks to those who donated the shields and have kept it going.

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »

Skinny
Dras
Bosco
ZBoomer
dusty1300
deepseamdv

Thanks all.

Add me please, thanks!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:27:47 PM by jwolffie »
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
Alright folks, I'm finished with the 'shields and have PM'ed Bosco for his shipping info since he appears to be next in line. The Calsi didn't do anything for me and didn't seem much different from the stocker on my '08. The Aeroflow was a lot better but still not windshield nirvana for me. I have a V-Stream fitted on the bike already and I like the Aeroflow better than it. Seemed to give a little better hand protection than the V-Stream, at least for me. I have Phil's wedges and 1.5" risers on my bike. One interesting phenomenon I noticed with the Aeroflow was the amount of inflation on the front of my jacket. At speed it looked like I was the Michelin Man. Really made the front poof out a lot. Didn't really notice any buffeting though.

Dave
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »
Alright folks, I'm finished with the 'shields and have PM'ed Bosco for his shipping info since he appears to be next in line. The Calsi didn't do anything for me and didn't seem much different from the stocker on my '08. The Aeroflow was a lot better but still not windshield nirvana for me. I have a V-Stream fitted on the bike already and I like the Aeroflow better than it. Seemed to give a little better hand protection than the V-Stream, at least for me. I have Phil's wedges and 1.5" risers on my bike. One interesting phenomenon I noticed with the Aeroflow was the amount of inflation on the front of my jacket. At speed it looked like I was the Michelin Man. Really made the front poof out a lot. Didn't really notice any buffeting though.

Dave

Sounds like you either need a smaller size jacket or one with the athletic cut instead of the beer belly cut.  riding gear should be snug as to better protect during a get off.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077