Author Topic: Try a windshield for free....  (Read 242479 times)

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

Re: Try a windshield for free....
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
Ok, going through the posts, I am trying to figure out what the list should look like now. Here is my best guess based on who as responded recently:

I am crossing out the names that appear to have already received the shields. If I messed it up, feel free to fix the list.

=====================
Danger716 (Large)  (ALBANY, NY)
Wally (Large)- (MINNEAPOLIS, MN)
JJFLASH
Dusty1300
*mntbiker-junkie (Medium) *Move down list as needed. Out of the country. Back 5/7. (Tacoma, Washington)
fartymarty (Large)
Cougr67 (medium)
denver6 (large and medium) (Denver, CO)
PeteTn_zgtr (large)

I'd like to stay on the list for the larges, although not in any hurry so I'll put myself at the bottom for the large box. I'm done with the mediums and ready to send them to ?mntbiker-junkie? now. Are you ready for them?

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
Here's my notes on the mediums:

Cal-Sci medium -- All the way down is loudest without much increase in air. Halfway up is quieter but without any air on the helmet. All the way up even quieter WO air on the helmet but with good airflow to the torso because of the space between the windshield and the mirrors. Quieter than the CB. If I hunched over a little bit very quiet, no buffeting at all.

Cee Bailey's medium -- (Euro-cut) No way to have very much air on the helmet even all the way down and loud when all the way down. Fairly quiet when up half way but still a little buffeting, buffeting increases some when all the way up. Quite a bit of torso air above the mirrors with it up just like the Cal-Sci. , so it wouldn't necessarily be really hot in summer; Hand wings would probably reduce torso air with either if preferred.

Not sure how to have a shield with more air to helmet when desired (shield down) and less or near zero buffeting. All these were very loud down.

V stream - Never seemed to settle down - always felt buffeting, more of a low frequency buffeting but unpleasant. Would never consider this one.

BTW I have a 08 C14 with stock handlebars and seat and am 6'1" w 32" inseam

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:43:57 PM by PeteTN_zgtr »

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #302 on: May 06, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
Here's the list reposted more legibly

JJFLASH
Dusty1300

*mntbiker-junkie (Medium) *Move down list as needed. Out of the country. Back 5/7. (Tacoma, Washington)
fartymarty (Large)
Cougr67 (medium)
PeteTn_zgtr (large)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #303 on: May 09, 2013, 12:00:26 AM »
I wasn't expecting them so soon, I'm off in Moab Utah doing the dual sport thing with my DR650 and I won't be back home to see my connie until Saturday 5-11-13. If that's ok then send them on if not move me down below PeteTN_zgtr.

Ok, I'm back home with my Connie*, so send the Large shields when able.

*came back a few days early due to weather

Offline dusty1300

« Reply #304 on: May 09, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »
Ok, farty, I'll get them sent out.

Tom

Offline aneura

« Reply #305 on: May 12, 2013, 09:43:36 PM »
Hello!

I just picked up my new 2012 C14 last week and I'd love to try out some different windscreen options.  My wife and I went for 3hr ride today and I came home looking to see what what the aftermarket possibilities are.  This thread is amazing, and I'd love to know how to get on the list.

Thanks!
 -Eric
----
2012 ZG1400CC
2003 CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #306 on: May 15, 2013, 11:44:27 PM »
I would absolutely love to do whatever it takes to be able to try the different windshields out.

I just brought home my new 2012 today.

I'm in Marysville, WA which is not too far from Tacoma, WA "saw that town on the list above"

Thanks!
2012 C14 Black

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #307 on: May 16, 2013, 07:53:59 PM »
To update, the mediums are on their way to *mntbiker-junkie

firehawk and aneura, I believe you just add yourselves to the list; copy & paste current list and add yourself to the bottom. The prior person will PM you for your address when ready. They'll ship it to you and you will pay the shipping to the next person. It looks like it's running $30+ to ship each box now. If you're near somone that has one of the boxes, I guess you can see if you can work out getting together to save postage.

Take care

Offline aneura

« Reply #308 on: May 17, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »
Hi Fiirehawk - I also live in Marysville, WA... and I just picked my 2012 up last week from our local Smokey Point dealer.  I'd be happy to share sipping costs or whatever with you.

Thanks!
 -Eric
----
2012 ZG1400CC
2003 CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #309 on: May 17, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »
Ok, farty, I'll get them sent out.
Tom

Thanks Tom, received 'em today in good shape.  :thumbs:

Offline mntbiker-junkie

« Reply #310 on: May 19, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »
I have finished my trial of the medium windscreens and find it interesting how all of us have a difference of opinion on the effectiveness of the screens which is why it was great to be able to try them before buying.  guess it must be how we sit on the bike, torso height, etc.

For reference, I am about 5'11", 180lbs and have fairly long legs, 32 inch inseam.  I tend to sit in the middle of the seat and sit pretty upright

1) Cal Sci medium-  It turns out this is the screen I have on my bike today.  I did not realize this since I bought the bike used in October, 2012 and this came with the purchase.  when I opened the box, it was a surprise to see my screen in there.    One less screen I needed to trial.  Since I have ridden it for about 1200 miles, I can state that it is pretty good but I find it only really cuts down the noise when all the way up.  No buffeting issues with this screen but I'm looking for that cone of silence.  Overall, a pretty nice screen but I think it is slightly short given my height 

2)  Cee Bailey-  I found this screen to not be very effective for me and wanted it off the bike after about 20 minutes of riding.  I think maybe there was some back pressure.  I found my helmet was pushing down on the collar of my jacket at speeds of 65-70mph.  Everybody was raving about this screen and I liked the looks but it just did not work well for me

3) V-stream-  I found this screen worked really well for me.  I was looking for something that cut down on the noise and buffeting and I found this delivered on both fronts.  I liked the looks and found when down completely, it pushed plenty of air on me but not up high on the helmet.  I agree with other comments that you do look thru it when up all the way but I found it to be very comfortable with no buffeting or noise.   I had to raise it up to near full height on the interstate to be effective at 70mph and found myself looking either thru it or just over the top of the screen.  I liked the way the sides curve away and found this to be nice on the interstate when having to look thru the scree since it was only the very top edge I was looking thru and visibility was good on the edges of the screen.  I was enjoying it so much, I missed my exit and had to ride some 'bonus' miles.

I found it to be effective for me especially at speeds between 35-50mph.  I think it worked well for me because it is about 1" taller than my current Cal Sci windscreen and I needed a little extra height for that truly quite cone of silence.

The end result is I plan to buy a V-Stream. If anyone found they like the Cal Sci medium, let me know and I'd be happy to work out a very fair deal.  I attached a picture of my Cal Sci for reference.  It is in very good condition

Tony

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #311 on: May 19, 2013, 10:25:37 PM »
Hi Fiirehawk - I also live in Marysville, WA... and I just picked my 2012 up last week from our local Smokey Point dealer.  I'd be happy to share sipping costs or whatever with you.

Thanks!
 -Eric

Eric, that's awesome.  Believe it or not a friend of mine bought a 12 also this week!  We'll have them for almost free at this rate!  I'll add my name to the list and pm you once I have them.

2012 C14 Black

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #312 on: May 19, 2013, 10:27:14 PM »
JJFLASH
Dusty1300
fartymarty (Large)
Cougr67 (medium)
PeteTn_zgtr (large)
firehawk618 (medium and large) *for myself, a friend and Eric on here
All in the same town.  3 birds with one stone.
2012 C14 Black

Offline denver6

« Reply #313 on: May 19, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »
JJFLASH
Dusty1300
fartymarty (Large)
Cougr67 (medium)
PeteTn_zgtr (large)

I have removed myself (denver6) from the list.  I bought a large CalSci from one of the forum members, so I am no longer in the market for a new windshield.
Black '12 C-14
Highlands Ranch, CO

Offline dusty1300

« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »
Please remove me from either list (dusty1300). I have now purchased an Aeroflow and a CB Tall shield for my wife's bike.  Now I just need nice weather.

Thanks to all who set this up, it really worked good.

Tom

Offline Cougr67

« Reply #315 on: June 04, 2013, 08:54:17 AM »
I am nearly finished with the set of medium shields and will get them sent out early next week. Looks like firehawk is next.
2012 C14 - Black -

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #316 on: June 10, 2013, 11:42:04 AM »
I'd like to get on the list to try the large and medium windshields. Just picked up a new 2012 yesterday. I'm probably more interested in the large windshields. It seems like my old 1990 Connie had better wind protection.....

I'm not sure how this works, do I need to post my mailing address somewhere?

thanks
/m

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #317 on: June 10, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
OK, if I understand correctly how this works, here is the list with myself added:

JJFLASH
Dusty1300
fartymarty (Large)
Cougr67 (medium)
PeteTn_zgtr (large)
RubiconMike (large and/or medium) (Boulder Creek, CA)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #318 on: June 10, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »
OK, if I understand correctly how this works, here is the list with myself added:

JJFLASH
Dusty1300
fartymarty (Large)
Cougr67 (medium)
denver6 (large and medium) (Denver, CO) reference
PeteTn_zgtr (large)
RubiconMike (large and/or medium) (Boulder Creek, CA)

I think I fixed it for you?

Medium list
mntbiker-junkie
firehawk618 (et al)
Rubicon Mike

Large list
PeteTn_zgtr
firehawk618 (et al)
RubiconMike

So, did I leave anybody out that's not supposed to be out????

I just shipped the Large shields to PeteTN_zgtr .
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:02:48 PM by fartymarty »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #319 on: June 10, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
The Box
I received the large shields in good shape, however the box has seen better days.
 I thought I'd fix up a nicer box for shipping as a way of paying it forward.
I bought a box and got out the glue gun and started to reinforce it. I was pretty happy with how it was turning out, I was going to just put the old box inside it and ship it off. Turns out my work just ended up making shipping almost $20 dollars more. Seems there is something the shippers call "Dimensional weight". Even if I ponied up the extra bucks, I figured that no one down the line would appreciate me making the whole process more expensive so I scrapped it.
I found a slightly smaller box for the shields that would fit inside the crumpled one. I reinforced the crumpled one with more cardboard
inside and a stiffer cardboard frame from my scrapped box. The outside box is now perhaps more made of tape
than cardboard. To everyone downstream please except my apologies for the delay. My heart was in the right place, I just was unable
to execute.  ::)  I shipped today to PeteTn_zgtr via FedEx ground. At 26.1 pounds and a declared value of $500.00 it cost $47.86.

The Shields
I found all three to be at least slightly better than my medium size CalSci shield for my biggest problem which is back pressure
pushing my head forward and down when the shield is up. However all three inhibit airflow too much when down for me to want one
for riding here in Texas. When raised all the way up (I'm looking through not over the screens) the Aeroflow was the
best. The Aeroflow also was the one that wobbled the most at speed (75mph). When I lowered all to about the height that
I liked (I could just see over the top and down the road about 100 ft.) only the Aeroflow had a significant improvement
over my current CalSci medium. Slight back pressure was still there but maybe only about 25% of what mine currently produces.

Overall the CalSci looked the best on the bike (good lines IMHO). The Cee Bailey looks the best made by itself, nice thick polished edges. The Aeroflow performed the best, but looked the goofiest. My conclusion is that right now if I were to lay out the money and try a new shield I'd try an Aeroflow medium. Seeing how the Aeroflow performed and how it is shaped (it's curved at the lower front like an air scoop) I'm thinking of trying some more modification to my stock '10 shield before I outlay any more money.
The AeroFlow had etched or scratch lines (center lines crossed) at each hole and a few up the center of the screen> Is that the way they come from AeroFlow or has someone along the line (perhaps the original donor) made these marks???
 AeroFlows aren't cheap and I would not be happy if I bought one new and it had these lines in it. 

I'm 5' 6.5" with a 32" inseam (that's the size jeans I wear anyway), and you may wonder why I wanted to try the large shields.
I was happy with both my stock shield and my CalSci medium in the lowered position but in the raised position both had too much
back force on my head. I thought I could try the large screens in the partially raised position to simulate a medium shield. I wanted
to try an AeroFlow more than a VStream so I went with the large group. I hope that made sense, it obviously did to me.  :o