Author Topic: Try a windshield for free....  (Read 242730 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Try a windshield for free....
« Reply #320 on: June 10, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »
You can cure the backpressure issue by drilling holes in the shield of your choice. You could also get creative and cut notches, an inverted 'T' shape, whatever. Blkbird (Dave) has done this successfully and he may chime in here.

As far as cooling the cockpit, the mostus bestus thing I have found is Baker hand wings. In the normal 'shield' position they are pretty good hand guards, not as good as the MetalBenders were but adequate in the winter given heavy gloves. But where they really shine is when turned about 90 degrees so they act as scoops and direct the airstream into your lap. The difference when it is hot out is almost unbelievable- It is like rolling down the windows on a car but even more effective. The Bakers mount on a single fairing screw and while it isn't the most sturdy thing I have been using them successfully for years without having them move (slip) too much and not having broken the fairing pocket that they mount to.... at least not yet.

Throw the above in with a KiPass bypass and a low fuel warning eliminator and your C-14 will become not only as comfortable as a barker lounger but unstoppable as well.  :)

Brian

<snipped the exciting box story>

The Shields
I found all three to be at least slightly better than my medium size CalSci shield for my biggest problem which is back pressure
pushing my head forward and down when the shield is up. However all three inhibit airflow too much when down for me to want one
for riding here in Texas. When raised all the way up (I'm looking through not over the screens) the Aeroflow was the
best. The Aeroflow also was the one that wobbled the most at speed (75mph). When I lowered all to about the height that
I liked (I could just see over the top and down the road about 100 ft.) only the Aeroflow had a significant improvement
over my current CalSci medium. Slight back pressure was still there but maybe only about 25% of what mine currently produces.

Overall the CalSci looked the best on the bike (good lines IMHO). The Cee Bailey looks the best made by itself, nice thick polished edges. The Aeroflow performed the best, but looked the goofiest. My conclusion is that right now if I were to lay out the money and try a new shield I'd try an Aeroflow medium. Seeing how the Aeroflow performed and how it is shaped (it's curved at the lower front like an air scoop) I'm thinking of trying some more modification to my stock '10 shield before I outlay any more money.
The AeroFlow had etched or scratch lines (center lines crossed) at each hole and a few up the center of the screen> Is that the way they come from AeroFlow or has someone along the line (perhaps the original donor) made these marks???
 AeroFlows aren't cheap and I would not be happy if I bought one new and it had these lines in it. 

I'm 5' 6.5" with a 32" inseam (that's the size jeans I wear anyway), and you may wonder why I wanted to try the large shields.
I was happy with both my stock shield and my CalSci medium in the lowered position but in the raised position both had too much
back force on my head. I thought I could try the large screens in the partially raised position to simulate a medium shield. I wanted
to try an AeroFlow more than a VStream so I went with the large group. I hope that made sense, it obviously did to me.  :o
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #321 on: June 10, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
<snipped the exciting box story>

:yikes:  :rotflmao:

Offline amahoser

« Reply #322 on: June 11, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »

The AeroFlow had etched or scratch lines (center lines crossed) at each hole and a few up the center of the screen> Is that the way they come from AeroFlow or has someone along the line (perhaps the original donor) made these marks???
 AeroFlows aren't cheap and I would not be happy if I bought one new and it had these lines in it. 

The Aeroflow you got was the final prototype. It is hand formed so the registration marks won't be there on a production screen.

Jose Soriano

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #323 on: June 11, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »
The Aeroflow you got was the final prototype. It is hand formed so the registration marks won't be there on a production screen.

Jose Soriano

Thanks Jose, that's good to know.   :thumbs:

edit: OK I found the original post on this, my thread skimming skills could
use improvement. Thanks again Jose.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=914.msg126378#msg126378
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:56:37 PM by fartymarty »

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #324 on: June 11, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »
Looking forward to trying out the mediums.  Depending on how that goes I might remove myself from the large list.
2012 C14 Black

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #325 on: June 11, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
Looking forward to trying out the mediums.  Depending on how that goes I might remove myself from the large list.

There ya go only thinking of yourself again. What about the et al, don't they get a say? (Pete; friend)    ;D :stirpot:  ;D

Offline Cougr67

« Reply #326 on: June 12, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
Sent off the medium set to firehawk this morning, sorry it took so long. I really liked the Cee Bailey and didn't want to take it off! :(

Great opportunity to try some different screens! I currently have the largest Cee Bailey that they make which is way to big for me. It is about 4 inches talker than the medium. I plan to cut about 3 inches off and see how that goes, Maybe cut off another inch?? If I screw it up I will definitely buy the Cee Bailey medium.

2012 C14 - Black -

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #327 on: June 13, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »
I received the large windshields yesterday. The box held up very well. Thanks FM for fixing up the box. It is now a composite tape/cardboard container. Time to get riding

Pete

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #328 on: June 14, 2013, 08:37:24 PM »
You can cure the backpressure issue by drilling holes in the shield of your choice. You could also get creative and cut notches, an inverted 'T' shape, whatever. Blkbird (Dave) has done this successfully and he may chime in here.

Brian

The picture attached was taken after my first 1000 mile trip with the bike to Fl. back in Spring of 09', you can see the holes drilled in the shield, made with a 1" forstner bit, I later connected two of the holes on each side to give me just a little more air in front.  The shield is now entirely neutral but without the holes would have been useless to me as it was putting too much pressure on my hands.

Dave

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #329 on: June 17, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »
The picture attached was taken after my first 1000 mile trip with the bike to Fl. back in Spring of 09', you can see the holes drilled in the shield, made with a 1" forstner bit, I later connected two of the holes on each side to give me just a little more air in front.  The shield is now entirely neutral but without the holes would have been useless to me as it was putting too much pressure on my hands.
Dave

Thanks Dave (and Brian). I've already cut a CalSci type hole in my stock shield and it helped, but not as much as I'd hoped.
After seeing a big improvement with back pressure using the AeroFlow I may put some holes like yours lower on
the shield and maybe even put an air scoop over them to increase flow. Still one has to wonder where this ends.
I mean how many holes am I going to need to get rid of back pressure before it's like having no windshield at all.
I haven't given up yet, but I may end having a removable chin rest installed for when I need the screen in the full up position. ;D  ::)

edit: By the way Dave, nice job on the holes, looks pro. :thumbs:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #330 on: June 17, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »
I am really surprised because I am using a rather tall windshield combination (approaching 10+ over stock) and suffer no back pressure. The vent or relief hole is the stock 'T' shape that CalSci cuts into their 'shields. I can give it a quick measure (easy boys!) and let you know roughly what the opening area is. I would think 3 or more 1" or larger holes on each side of the windshield would go a long, if not all, the way to stopping that vacuum on the backside of the 'shield.

Maybe this is really a KiPass problem? What side do you carry your fob on....  ;)

Brian

Thanks Dave (and Brian). I've already cut a CalSci type hole in my stock shield and it helped, but not as much as I'd hoped.
After seeing a big improvement with back pressure using the AeroFlow I may put some holes like yours lower on
the shield and maybe even put an air scoop over them to increase flow. Still one has to wonder where this ends.
I mean how many holes am I going to need to get rid of back pressure before it's like having no windshield at all.
I haven't given up yet, but I may end having a removable chin rest installed for when I need the screen in the full up position. ;D  ::)

edit: By the way Dave, nice job on the holes, looks pro. :thumbs:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #331 on: June 18, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »
I am really surprised because I am using a rather tall windshield combination (approaching 10+ over stock) and suffer no back pressure. The vent or relief hole is the stock 'T' shape that CalSci cuts into their 'shields. I can give it a quick measure (easy boys!) and let you know roughly what the opening area is. I would think 3 or more 1" or larger holes on each side of the windshield would go a long, if not all, the way to stopping that vacuum on the backside of the 'shield.

Maybe this is really a KiPass problem? What side do you carry your fob on....  ;)

Brian

Left, is that wrong?  :o  ???

Well as we know from reading the various handlebar; windshield; and especially the seat posts. There is
way too much variance in people to have an all encompassing solution to any of these trouble areas. Windshield
problems could be the most difficult to solve because of various aerodynamics changes. It could be (although unlikely)
that if I had a Gen 1 C14 and found a solution and then changed to a Gen 2 that the solution wouldn't work. Certainly the size
difference between the two of us (the group shoot in August will have me down in front and Brian will be
in the back head and shoulders above most.) would account for a lot of our different experiences with windshields.
I'm even thinking that I may need a diverter at the top that will make all (most) of the air spill around the sides
instead of over the top of the windshield. That will be a much later (last resort ) solution attempt.

However to get a little back to on topic (try a windshield for free) this share program saved me a lot of money
and may have found the best available solution for me. If I can't modify either of my current shields to suit me then I'm going to
try a medium AeroFlow. If that doesn't work then there will be 4 shields in the medium box.  :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:09:53 AM by fartymarty »

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #332 on: June 18, 2013, 07:12:25 PM »
FM:  One of the reasons I cut the holes down below the "V" is that is where the more significant pressure wave would exist on the windshield and by having the holes there I believe I get the most air through the holes, the secondary reason is that the back-pressure issue doesn't exist for me until the shield is higher, the net effect is that it works perfectly for me when raised.  As I mentioned before I connected two of the holes on either side to further decrease the backpressure.

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #333 on: June 19, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »
Sent off the medium set to firehawk this morning, sorry it took so long. I really liked the Cee Bailey and didn't want to take it off! :(

Great opportunity to try some different screens! I currently have the largest Cee Bailey that they make which is way to big for me. It is about 4 inches talker than the medium. I plan to cut about 3 inches off and see how that goes, Maybe cut off another inch?? If I screw it up I will definitely buy the Cee Bailey medium.

Got the mediums today.  Well packaged and thank you!  It's **** pouring rain but i'll be trying all 3 out today/tomorrow.  Just at a glance I like the Cee Bailey the best.  A friend of mine is going to be trying these also and there was a local guy who also wanted to try.  I'm going to try and find him to setup the date/time for him to try.  At this point please consider me removed from the large list.
2012 C14 Black

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #334 on: June 19, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »
Hi Fiirehawk - I also live in Marysville, WA... and I just picked my 2012 up last week from our local Smokey Point dealer.  I'd be happy to share sipping costs or whatever with you.

Thanks!
 -Eric

Eric, I have the mediums here.  I'm going to PM you.  Hopefully you log on here soon enough to try these before they get shipped to the next person.
2012 C14 Black

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #335 on: June 19, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »
aneura got a hold of me.  I'm going to try them first then we're going to meet up and he's going to take them from there so he will be the one mailing them to the next person.

If anyone here has any issues with our arrangement let me know asap and I'll make other arrangements.

Thanks.
2012 C14 Black

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #336 on: June 19, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »
I put the Cee Bailey one on first.  Love it.  For me at highway speeds I can position it to eliminate almost all wind noise in my helmet and all the way down I still get a good gush of air.  I don't think I'm even going to install the other two.

IMO of the 3 the Cee Bailey looks the most refined.  Nice rounded edges.  Just looks and feels the best in my opinion.

Is this Cee Bailey the Euro Tour one?  Just want to be positive before I order it.

Here's the latest list, removed myself from the large.

Medium list
Rubicon Mike

Large list
PeteTn_zgtr

RubiconMike
2012 C14 Black

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #337 on: June 23, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
Sorry, things have changed and I won't be getting a new windshield for a while, so I'm removing myself from both lists:

Medium list

Large list
PeteTn_zgtr

Offline aneura

« Reply #338 on: June 23, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »
Cant wait to to give them a try!
----
2012 ZG1400CC
2003 CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #339 on: June 25, 2013, 11:18:25 PM »
Cant wait to to give them a try!

I'm back from my road trip.  I have the Cee Bailey installed and loved it.  I will remove it tomorrow and you're welcome to come pick up the windshields.

Judging from the medium list you might just have to hold onto them a while as there isn't anyone on the list.  lol

I'll let you know when I have it removed.
2012 C14 Black