Author Topic: Try a windshield for free....  (Read 243635 times)

Offline aneura

Re: Try a windshield for free....
« Reply #340 on: June 26, 2013, 07:14:49 AM »
Sounds good, glad you found one that you like!

No hurries one the pass, like you said, there's no one waiting on us. lol.
----
2012 ZG1400CC
2003 CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #341 on: June 29, 2013, 08:48:09 AM »
Adding myself back to the large list.

Medium list

Large list
PeteTn_zgtr
RubiconMike

Offline aneura

« Reply #342 on: June 29, 2013, 08:15:26 PM »
I have the mediums now (thanks Firehawk); I'll be hanging on to them until someone chimes in that would like to try them.  Looking forward to the 'test rides'.  Thanks everyone!

Thanks!
 -Eric
----
2012 ZG1400CC

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #343 on: June 30, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »
Oh, what the heck, I'll give them a try.

Medium list
RubiconMike

Large list
PeteTn_zgtr
RubiconMike

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #344 on: July 01, 2013, 07:54:42 PM »
Hi Guys, I'm done with the larges and just got them all packed up in the box. RubiconMike are you ready for the larges. Let me know and pm me your address.

I made some notes on my impressions of the larges. I'll post my observations after I get my notes into some legible sentences. I need to go to bed early tonight. Overall their all too much windshield for me

Pete

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #345 on: July 04, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »
Here's my notes on the larges:

Aeroflow large
Overall good coverage and quiet all the way up. Down, it made noise but didn't give me much air flow. I would have to plan on keeping it up and look through it. With it up there is some airflow above the mirrors. I have the baker handwings and they help direct air to torso area. There was still a little buffeting in traffic on the interstate and the screen bobbed around some. I think it would be better a little shorter. An Aeroflow medium or even small might work better. Slight amount of back pressure but not much. Probably needs a Cal-Sci type hole.  A little less buffeting than the CB large but not a lot of difference.

Cee Bailey's large -- Ultra-dome
Cut down on the noise a lot, still has some buffeting on top of the helmet at any position. A little air on the helmet all the way down. An inch or two shorter would be better. Decent air on the torso and arms. The Euro-cut may be a better choice, but so far Cal-Sci medium was the calmest for me, maybe with an MRA airfoil when I'd like something higher or Cal-Sci regular large. This CB did have air running up the back side all the way to the top. Probably why it had the less buffeting than the Cal-Sci. More air with it down than with the other two larges.

Cal-Sci extra large extra wide
Down - not much air on helmet, just enough to add noise and without much air around sides. Up halfway cuts down on the noise and adds a little air around the sides but with buffeting. Up all the way - very quiet with more air around the sides with Baker hand wings increasing air to torso. No buffeting under 65 but at 75-80 noticeable buffeting on helmet coming off the top of the shield. Air coming out of the T shaped hole comes straight back and does not go up the back inside of the shield. None or little air is going up the backside of the shield which I think is creating the buffeting. I.e. I think there's no relief of the vacuum just behind the top of the shield and being such a large shield there's too much pressure differential.  Didn't notice any back pressure though. No buffeting if I hunched over alot. A shield this big may need more holes in it.

All these large shields push a lot of air and are tall. Seems like they need venting near the top of the shield to have an airstream up the back merging with the air coming over the top.

Anyway it was fun trying them

thanks,
Pete

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #346 on: July 05, 2013, 08:11:21 AM »
Hi Guys, I'm done with the larges and just got them all packed up in the box. RubiconMike are you ready for the larges. Let me know and pm me your address.

I made some notes on my impressions of the larges. I'll post my observations after I get my notes into some legible sentences. I need to go to bed early tonight. Overall their all too much windshield for me

Pete

PM Sent, looking forward to trying them.

/m

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #347 on: July 05, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »
OK, I'll be sending the larges to RubiconMike here shortly

Pete

===============
New List

Medium list
RubiconMike

Large list
RubiconMike

Offline aneura

« Reply #348 on: July 14, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »
Just wanted to say THANKS to everyone, this is such a great thing to have going!  I'm finished with the mediums and l-o-v-e the Cee Bailey Euro.  As I mentioned before, my buddy Everett is going to give them a try and then we'll be shipping them off to RubiconMike for his riding pleasure.

Thanks again!
 -Eric
----
2012 ZG1400CC

Offline firehawk618

« Reply #349 on: July 20, 2013, 11:44:25 PM »
Just wanted to say THANKS to everyone, this is such a great thing to have going!  I'm finished with the mediums and l-o-v-e the Cee Bailey Euro.  As I mentioned before, my buddy Everett is going to give them a try and then we'll be shipping them off to RubiconMike for his riding pleasure.

Thanks again!
 -Eric

Did you end up trying all 3?  I didn't.  I put about 700 miles on the Cee Bailey Euro and loved it.  I just ordered one yesterday FINALLY!  After using the Euro one then going back to the stocker I can definitely say I hate the stock one.
2012 C14 Black

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #350 on: July 21, 2013, 08:32:44 AM »
OK, been living with the large windshields for a week now, I think I 'd like to try the mediums, especially the Cee Baily and Vstream.

So far, I think I like the Cee Bailey the best. Seems to give me the best combination of protection and smooth airflow. As a bonus, it looks like it belongs on the Connie. (both size and shape). I'd like to try the medium one though.

Cal-Sci - it's huge, and gives the best side protection (arms out of windstream), but looks a little odd on the bike IMHO. (It's flat and curved, sort of like those flat harley windshields).  When low enough to see over, I still get buffeting around my helmet. I think it might benefit from a flip-up at the top. Also, when in the fully down position, the bottom hits the mirrors on my 2012. I'd need to trim this 1/2" higher if I had one. Finally, the enormous NACA-style hole whistles when in the fully up position! Don't know if anyone else had this problem.

Aeroflow - would be my second choice. Interesting compound curves around the lower sides. Good protection, but have to look through it to get into a calm air pocket.

===============
New List

Medium list
RubiconMike

Large list

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #351 on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »
Another thing: on the National Cycle web site, they have a video that makes a big deal about acrylic vs. polycarbonite windshields. They claim they are far stronger and more scratch resistant. Anyone have any experience with both, or useful comments?

Sorry if this was already discussed on this thread, I have to confess I didn't read every post, it's now 24 pages long!

Offline aneura

« Reply #352 on: August 14, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »
Firehawk618 - I tried the V-Stream and the Cee Bailey, Loved the CB
RubiconMike - They shipped today!  Enjoy!
----
2012 ZG1400CC

Offline Alphaman

« Reply #353 on: September 10, 2013, 09:23:50 PM »
Hi,

I just bought a new 2012 Concours and I'm new to the forum.  If possible I would love to try the windshields.

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #354 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »
Large, Mediums, or both?

Offline busatodd

« Reply #355 on: September 14, 2013, 09:59:01 PM »
Hi, I'm not new to forum, but would like to get in line to try the windscreens, both tall and med.
I can be contacted at
Busatodd@ yahoo.com or 3179562010
Thanks todd

Offline BlockmasterII

« Reply #356 on: October 01, 2013, 07:24:32 PM »
RubiconMike,

I would like to try the medium and large.

Thanks

Offline petepro

« Reply #357 on: October 19, 2013, 01:50:59 PM »
I'd like to get on the list for the large ones.

Pete
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline BlockmasterII

« Reply #358 on: October 26, 2013, 08:07:52 AM »
Just finish with a few medium windshields who's next?

Offline BlockmasterII

« Reply #359 on: October 29, 2013, 07:33:45 PM »
Just wrapped up a week with the mediums and my top pick is the V-Stream.  I think the V-Stream provide good wind blockage however, it did have a bit of flapping when it was completely raised.  The Cee Bailey was good but the medium didn't provide as much wind blockage.