Author Topic: Highside Blues  (Read 6693 times)

Offline Conniestoga

Highside Blues
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:15:40 AM »
    '95 C10. It happened December 5th. Turning from the main highway on to the road that I l live on. A turn I've made a 1000 times and a mile from my house. I hit a flat piece of ABS plastic which made the rear tire slide just enough to throw me down hard. 5 cracked ribs, a lesion on my liver and impact trauma on my lower back which developed into a hematoma and bruising. Ambulance ride to the ER and a night in the Hospital. They thought I had a punctured lung but that was not the case thank goodness. I'm an ATGATT guy so no road rash. It's been six weeks and my injuries are pretty much healed. My shoulder and ribs are still sore but at least I can cough and laugh. Ha Ha. I will need a new jacket and helmet.
    The main fairing, right mirror, saddlebag and antler are toast and there's road rash on the lower fairing and a few other spots. Luckily, there's a business near that intersection and the owner rides so he kept my bike for me. Great guy. I rode the bike home last week after replacing the right handlebar and foot peg. The bike is/was in superb mechanical condition. I road it from California to New York and back last summer.
     I turned 70 a week after the accident and they had a big birthday party for me. We're all glad it wasn't a wake. My wife reminded me that I have been riding for 50+ years and requested I hang up my helmet and gloves. In my post accident delirium, I promised her that I would not repair or replace the Concours but that I still have the Tengai and that one of my bucket list items is to keep it till it is 30 years old and has 100,000 miles. She agreed bless her heart. I have a 4 year and 10,000 mile reprieve. I ordered a new jacket and helmet last week.
95 Concours
90 Tengai

Offline Conrad

Re: Highside Blues
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
Glad to see that it wasn't worse than it was. Good luck!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 01:17:46 AM »
Glad you ok though and healing up...keep on riding mate!! :thumbs: :thumbs: Respect!

Offline sinbad78

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:54:31 AM »
Thank you for this beautiful story. You are my inspiration. Regards.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 06:36:15 AM »
... I turned 70 a week after the accident...

I can only hope I'm still riding when I'm 70...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......