Author Topic: Tires  (Read 12454 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: Tires
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »
My stockers were both showing cord at 4000 miles.
 Went on a ride and thinking they would be ok for the event, and they went away "quickly"!!
Installed PR-4 GT's; At 5000 miles, the rear was gone. Front still ok.

NOTE: My mileage is low because I do not accumulate lots of road miles;
               I trailer to the rally's, unload and ride the twisties, then trailer home..
                     Yes, I know I'm a sinner.

Since both brands gave me approx. the same mileage, I installed the Shinko Verge II to try a cheap tire.
   I've only put 400 miles on them but they feel ok..
      If they last approx. the same miles, they might be a good {less expensive} alternative for me.

Has anyone else tried the Shinko's??

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:04:03 PM by connie_rider »

sailor_chic

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »
Ted.... 4500 on a Michelin PR4GT? What the heck are you doing to get such pathetic mileage, low pressure?  My last rear PR4gt I had over 12k on it. Though I realize I ride like a girl :)

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 02:50:53 PM »
Maybe Ted has one of those trailers with only the front wheel supported, like a car tow behind rig.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »
Ted.... 4500 on a Michelin PR4GT? What the heck are you doing to get such pathetic mileage, low pressure?  My last rear PR4gt I had over 12k on it. Though I realize I ride like a girl :)

I think I erred in my numbers, so I went back and adjusted my mileage numbers...
But, my point still stands.

By the way, in answer to your question..
          I don't ride like a girl. <smarty arsed grin>
             & 3000 of the 5000 was in Arkansas, with Cliff and Jim.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »
I think I erred in my numbers, so I went back and adjusted my mileage numbers...
But, my point still stands.

By the way, in answer to your question..
          I don't ride like a girl. <smarty arsed grin>
             & 3000 of the 5000 was in Arkansas, with Cliff and Jim.
I was under the impression that this forum only allowed 3 psycho riders at a time- I think we are up to 4 now and past the safety limits of this upstanding quorum.

Offline KawaRobby

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »
7500mi on original Bridges, 12,000+ (I lost track) on first set of Angel GT A Specs just put 2200mi on second set last week, hoping to get as many on these,  I think they make the bike handle so easily like on rails!
"A clear conscience is often the first indication of a failing memory" unknown.

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
I'm LOVING the new Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs.  Gonna be a while before I know how many miles I'll get on them, but they ride great and stick like flypaper
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »
I'm LOVING the new Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs.  Gonna be a while before I know how many miles I'll get on them, but they ride great and stick like flypaper

Good to know. I am going to give them a shot on my next set of tires (have been using PR3's and PR4's for years).
2010 C14 ABS

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
Hey everyone ;)!

It's been a LONG TIME since I've posted here...I switched over to the Triumph Trophy a year ago. I'm reading stories about tires and thought I'd jump in since I, too, was a C14 owner before the Trophy.

The Trophy's stock tires are Pirelli Angel ST's and they were gone at 6K miles. I went straight to the PR4 GT's and they were gone at 6K as well :o! I could have stretched a "little" more out of them but not much! I was told the Trophy would be "easier" on tires than the C14 was...wrong!

I am now 4K miles into a set of Pirelli Angel GT's and so far so good! I can't tell you how much more life I have in them but they were priced much better than the PR4 GT's so if I get at least 6K out of them, I'm happy!

I have a new set of Dunlop Roadsmart III's sitting in the garage that I picked up for $260, front and back. They are rated pretty well and I'm reading good things about them...time will tell.

Anyway, I miss hanging out here and hope everyone is doing well. Don't know if you've heard but Triumph is no longer producing the Trophy so when this bike I have is ready to move on I may be back...never know! My options are the Concours (which I am still partial to), the RT (don't think I want the problems or high prices that come with that), or an adventure bike and I don't know that I can do one of those!

Take care, everyone,
Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 06:23:22 PM »
Wow, you are right- it HAS been a long time. I remember you because you seem to live in a city I cannot pronounce, or if I can pronounce it, I am not sure I am pronouncing it correctly. :-)

Glad to hear you are enjoying that Triumph and good to see you active here again.

Brian

Hey everyone ;)!

It's been a LONG TIME since I've posted here...I switched over to the Triumph Trophy a year ago. I'm reading stories about tires and thought I'd jump in since I, too, was a C14 owner before the Trophy.

The Trophy's stock tires are Pirelli Angel ST's and they were gone at 6K miles. I went straight to the PR4 GT's and they were gone at 6K as well :o! I could have stretched a "little" more out of them but not much! I was told the Trophy would be "easier" on tires than the C14 was...wrong!

I am now 4K miles into a set of Pirelli Angel GT's and so far so good! I can't tell you how much more life I have in them but they were priced much better than the PR4 GT's so if I get at least 6K out of them, I'm happy!

I have a new set of Dunlop Roadsmart III's sitting in the garage that I picked up for $260, front and back. They are rated pretty well and I'm reading good things about them...time will tell.

Anyway, I miss hanging out here and hope everyone is doing well. Don't know if you've heard but Triumph is no longer producing the Trophy so when this bike I have is ready to move on I may be back...never know! My options are the Concours (which I am still partial to), the RT (don't think I want the problems or high prices that come with that), or an adventure bike and I don't know that I can do one of those!

Take care, everyone,
Mike
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 06:44:48 PM »
Thanks, Brian! Yeah, Ojai...anyone outside of the city has a difficult time with the name!

I'll be "popping in" here and there. Like I said, I still have a spot for the Concours deep down and do miss the forum so I will try to spend more time here.

You read that Triumph killed production on the Trophy so I have to keep up on the Concours in case that becomes my next bike, again ;)!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
Well, I will take a chance and guess that it is pronounced "oh high" but remember, I cannot say Chicago like anyone from Chicago says it so I have low expectations that I am correct.

It is a nice forum I think. Always has been so. One of only three that I frequent and the only one I post in frequently (yeah, I know that is not a 'good thing' to everyone  ;D ).

I am one of the 'old guard' and bought my C-14 on 25 July, 2007. I simply loved the bike and still do. My '08 is basically toast now (runs perfectly but old, body damaged from an accident and has about zero value what with 100,000 miles on it) and besides, I have no time to ride or tinker with motorcycles. But when I do step back in, I cannot think of anything else that I would buy; not saying the C-14 is ideal at all but IMO and for me, it is about the best sport tourer out there and still a very good value I think. For a gazillion reasons, it comes down to the C-14, a Feejer basically, and then a couple of really second- string bikes for me (Honda 1200F is a great bike I think but too expensive and not a sport tourer).

Which is why I have that motto: "Buy the bike for the bike, test- drive the people, toss some of the people and buy another of the same bike".

And besides, I do not think Mr. Elkhoof would ride anything else....

;) ;D

Brian

Thanks, Brian! Yeah, Ojai...anyone outside of the city has a difficult time with the name!

I'll be "popping in" here and there. Like I said, I still have a spot for the Concours deep down and do miss the forum so I will try to spend more time here.

You read that Triumph killed production on the Trophy so I have to keep up on the Concours in case that becomes my next bike, again ;)!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline clogan

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 07:37:07 PM »
I wish someone told me id be replacing tires on my 14 almost every other oil change. Fronts gone 4700 miles.

Based on cents-per-mile, I spend more for tires than anything else on the C14...including fuel!

Ive had a lot of different vebicles in my 50 hears of driving, but I have NEVER before had a vehicle whose largest per mile expense was for tires. Not my Z-06, not my Cobra, and not my Hayabusa. Nothing btut the C14.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »
Heavy bike, fairly high power and pretty soft, grippy tires. A bad combination for tire life.

No way around it unless you want to go to much tougher tires but then handling and tire performance will suffer.

A lot of people ask me 1) what is the mileage of my bike and 2) how much money I save by riding instead of driving. Of course the answer is negative; if I wanted to save money, I would take a car.....

Brian

Based on cents-per-mile, I spend more for tires than anything else on the C14...including fuel!

Ive had a lot of different vebicles in my 50 hears of driving, but I have NEVER before had a vehicle whose largest per mile expense was for tires. Not my Z-06, not my Cobra, and not my Hayabusa. Nothing btut the C14.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
Brian, you are correct in your pronunciation of Ojai...nice job ;)

Now, don't tell my wife the car vs bike thing and money saved! I convinced her a long time ago that bikes were cheaper and she bought it :banana! I think she's wised up to it now cause she lets me know how much the bike costs us throughout the year but hey, it got me back on a bike and now that she sees me loving the ride and the fact that I ride virtually every day, she is pretty understanding! I'm also fortunate in that she enjoys riding passenger with me so she's stuck with it now :finger_fing11:!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
Now, don't tell my wife the car vs bike thing and money saved! I convinced her a long time ago that bikes were cheaper and she bought it :banana!

LOL- just stress that it gets at least TWICE the fuel mileage of a performance car and go no further.  Don't mention tires, brakes, service, etc :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 03:38:49 PM »
I'm close to the 20K mile service which is the BIGGIE and had to tell her :-\! I also had to break it to her that I may need tires at that time as well...imagine how that went :shoot:!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »
I'm close to the 20K mile service which is the BIGGIE and had to tell her :-\! I also had to break it to her that I may need tires at that time as well...imagine how that went :shoot:!

Well..... hide the credit card statements.....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
Max, she's a "woman"...there's no hiding ANYTHING :censored:!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »
Max, she's a "woman"...there's no hiding ANYTHING :censored:!

P/Whipped again! Dang ::)