Author Topic: Significant heat wave likely next week.  (Read 22924 times)

Offline Conrad

Significant heat wave likely next week.
« on: July 14, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »
A large area of hot and humid air across the southern U.S. is forecast by
all the computer models and objective guidance to spread across at least
30 states by this weekend. Within this airmass, a considerable area of
dangerous heat is likely to set up across a significant portion of the
central and southern United States. This heat is
currently forecast to last through almost the entire week.

In the red outlined area, heat indicies during the afternoon are expected to be 100 degrees or higher during the forecast period.

In these graphics below, areas in brown/tan are heat indicies forecast to be
between 100 and 105 degrees, while areas in pink are forecast to be
between 105 and 120 degrees.

7/16

7/17

7/18

7/19

7/20

While the forecast only goes through next week, guidance suggests this
could last through next weekend. There might be a short, modest break with
the heat on Tuesday, when a weak cold front passes into the area. But that
goes back north as a warm front on Wednesday, and all indications are that
we stay hot the rest of the week.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

Re: Significant heat wave likely next week.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
My heart goes out to ya!  I like my white and teal colored Pacific Northwet!  I'll take mild year round vs extremes any day.  I laugh at rain ;D  3 years in Savanah, and 3 years in MD.  I dont recall losing anything there so I have no need to return.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:16:16 AM »
Thank you sir! It's going to be miserable around this neck of the woods for sure. I'll be in the pool if you need me.   8)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
Thank you sir! It's going to be miserable around this neck of the woods for sure. I'll be in the pool if you need me.   8)
I had to put on a robe last evening as I headed to the hot tub!!!!!!!!!!!  We are always looking for staunch conservative minded folks out west, come on out and join us, it's a six person tub with a view of the lake and the wood duck duckilings are just getting reay to leave the nest, same for the swallows.  Lots of tent space and an open fire pit to stay warm in the evening :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »
I had to put on a robe last evening as I headed to the hot tub!!!!!!!!!!!  We are always looking for staunch conservative minded folks out west, come on out and join us, it's a six person tub with a view of the lake and the wood duck duckilings are just getting reay to leave the nest, same for the swallows.  Lots of tent space and an open fire pit to stay warm in the evening :)

That sounds great!

A robe you say? You poor thing!

I had to replace the heater in my hot tub last week, $200 later and she's up to 102 again. Sounds like if I had waited till next week I could have gone without the heater. 

Offline okxd45

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:07:36 PM »

I'm a staunch conservative and I've applied for 3 jobs in the last few weeks with the state of Washington.  If you can find me a job.......I'm there tomorrow! 8)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »
I'm a staunch conservative and I've applied for 3 jobs in the last few weeks with the state of Washington.  If you can find me a job.......I'm there tomorrow! 8)
Whats your field of endeavor?  I'm on Ft Lewis, work for the CORPS G4 and we here of differant openings as they bocme open.  I'll do what I can to help.  Heck, it's time to start a new thread just for that purpose.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »
Ok will reply there.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 04:06:02 PM »
It's been over 100 everyday since we ot home from east coast. One break yesterday. 94. 104 today on the way home.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »
Well, I'm just d****d glad I rode today! Going to see a customer in the mountains tomorrow!!
2014 C-14 Red

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 06:56:19 PM »
A large area of hot and humid air across the southern U.S. is forecast by
all the computer models and objective guidance to spread across at least
30 states by this weekend. Within this airmass, a considerable area of
dangerous heat is likely to set up across a significant portion of the
central and southern United States. This heat is
currently forecast to last through almost the entire week.

Sorry, but us'ns in S.Tx don't feel sorry for ya. We've had extreme heat for weeks, + no rain to speak of  >:(
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline coffee_brake

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
It's worse than it used to be, not the weather, ME.

I used to complain but I could stump around slowly in the heat all day, get stuff done. I've been in the hot lowcountry of SC and GA all my life.
Now...I can't take it like I used to. Heck I'm still in my 30's and I take care of myself, what gives?! I actually can't stand it all day like I used to, now I have to come inside and take a break every hour or so.

As much as I love being able to ride all winter, I'm beginning to think about living in a higher elevation....
2005 Concours, toothpaste blue
1986 VFR700
1999 Bandit 1200

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »
Still waiting for it to get up to 70 degrees here on the Peninsula.  As I recall, the American pioneers got to Wichita, took a good long look, and kept going.  There was more than one reason for that. ;D
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
"Almost" hit 70 here in Portland today, gotta love the PNW...    :-\

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 04:49:25 AM »
"Almost" hit 70 here in Portland today, gotta love the PNW...    :-\

Too rainy for moi. I like sunshine at least once a week.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 06:33:14 AM »
Like GeeBeav said, here in South Texas we have already been there. According to KSAT Weather we have now had 12 days of 100° days. For the year we have had about 4 inches of rain. We would normally have 12-13 inches by now. Add in that we had very little rain since Sept. We are probably about 13-14 inches behind since Sept. Medina Lake is around 30 ft. below average. In 2009 we set a record of something like 55 days of 100° or more. But even if we don't actually hit 100° we have had many days of 99°. For the next 8 days we are forecast to have four 100° days, two 99° and two 98° days.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 08:40:32 AM »
Sorry, but us'ns in S.Tx don't feel sorry for ya. We've had extreme heat for weeks, + no rain to speak of  >:(

Like GeeBeav said, here in South Texas we have already been there. According to KSAT Weather we have now had 12 days of 100° days. For the year we have had about 4 inches of rain. We would normally have 12-13 inches by now. Add in that we had very little rain since Sept. We are probably about 13-14 inches behind since Sept. Medina Lake is around 30 ft. below average. In 2009 we set a record of something like 55 days of 100° or more. But even if we don't actually hit 100° we have had many days of 99°. For the next 8 days we are forecast to have four 100° days, two 99° and two 98° days.

Damn, that's rough! I feel for you guys down there. I can't imagine how tough it must be on the animals. Looking at the first pic in my first post I can see that y'all are in severe drought.

Offline rikguy33

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 08:43:59 AM »
That's not good news for me and a large group of people.  The weekend of the 23rd I am volunteering as a motorcycle road marshal for the local MS bike 150 fundraiser.  Over 600 people ride 150 miles on their bicycles to raise monies for the MS Society.  As a marshal I'll be riding in full gear over the 2 days setting up traffic stops along the route and riding back and forth through the bike pack to offer assistance as needed. It'll be a hot weekend for all involved.
.... because I can!

94 C-10
84 Honda VF700S (for sale)

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »

As much as I love being able to ride all winter, I'm beginning to think about living in a higher elevation....

I live at 8,600' and wouldn't think of living anywhere else. (I do have a trailer for when I gotta get to somehwere warmer for a few turns.)

Offline bikerhawk

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 10:03:19 PM »
I got a quick ride in this morning to break in the new tahrs after my Colorado trip last week.  Heat index only got to 107 today.  After today...really freaking inhumane; excessive heat warning now in effect for the next WEEK.  Never seen that before...why did I come home??

Getting brutal just in time for younger daughter to go to summer camps, wife & older kid to go volunteer in Joplin, etc.  Oh, and HS marching band camp to start up for me in 2 weeks.  Oy.
Tom Hunt - COG #9207
Lawrence, KS - Kansas AAD
1998 C10, 102k miles (mine), 1994 C10, 35k miles (wife's), 2002 Super Sherpa