Author Topic: Significant heat wave likely next week.  (Read 22923 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Significant heat wave likely next week.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
It got to 101° today.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 01:46:40 AM »
It got to 101° today.
What's your Dew Point and Humidity like? The dew point in Ia has been over 70% the last few days. When it gets over 70% Hell feels like it has AC.
Edit: I just checked the weather. Its 2:50am 80* with 81% humidity. By noon tomorrow you will be able to go outside and take a BIG 'OL drink of air  :(
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 06:07:14 AM »
It does kinda vary but looking the the weather tick in my sig right now it is 78%. It has been pretty humid though. In the morning, when I drive my truck, I usually have to turn the side vents off to keep from fogging my side windows and I have to turn on the rear window defrost.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 05:31:52 PM »
We here in the Ohio Valley are already under a "Heat" advisory for the beginning of the week. And around here when the humidty hits that 65 deg. dew point, we usually get to dodge lightining, hale, and falling trees, not to mention the stray Tornado or two.
Ahhh, summer in Ohio, we can get 4 seasons in one afternoon. But then again, we are round on the ends, and hi in the middle.
Everyone ride safe, and watch that weather.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 04:13:04 PM »
Y'all ever thought about moving somewhere not so hot like Floriduh? Just kidding, I think. Standard June through September forecast here is high in the lo-mid 90's, lows in the lo-mid 70's. Dew point lo-mid 70's. That being said, our dew points are going to plummet into the lo to mid 60's this week, gonna feel like autumn. There is a tropical disturbance nearby in the Atlantic, usually when we get onna those in that location, our dew points drop. Maybe gonna have to turn on the heat, getting down to 70 on Tues a.m.

Good Luck, y'all. That's some brutal stuff out there. I've got a super slab burn to MN in a coupla weeks, hoping things break by then.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
We here in the Ohio Valley are already under a "Heat" advisory for the beginning of the week. And around here when the humidty hits that 65 deg. dew point, we usually get to dodge lightining, hale, and falling trees, not to mention the stray Tornado or two.
Ahhh, summer in Ohio, we can get 4 seasons in one afternoon. But then again, we are round on the ends, and hi in the middle.
Everyone ride safe, and watch that weather.
Greg
4 seasons??  You lucky sob.  In Iowa we have three; Hot clod and rainy.
Good call on the dodging part, the 'experts' say that it is too darn hot to storm.  Sorta like its 'too cold to snow' try and explain that to some people  :loco: :loco:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 08:47:15 AM »
9:30 and the heat index is already up to 105.  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 09:15:27 AM »
You guys stole our heat!  It was a cool 51 at 6 this morning, expecting a high of 68-70.  I roasted going home yesterday, it was 74 at 430 last eve.

All joking aside, stay hydrated, and best of luck on getting some relief.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »
I'd be more than happy to send the heat back to yous!

Thanks Chet, it looks like the entire week is gonna be like this. The index might be as high as 115 tomorrow! I have to take a long ride in the middle of the day tomorrow too.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »
I'm a glass half full kinda guy, only way I would tolerate that kinda heat is by remembering what the guys/gals deployed are experiencing, complete with all equipment, and lots of things that go boom.  I lived in Savanah for 3 years and 3 years in Aberdeen MD, I dont understand how any of you stand the kinda weather you have.  I'll keep my rain and mostly mild year round weather.  I have snow withing a coupla hours and desert like 2 hours past that.  We have a zoo aka Seattle for those who like the city life and lots of outdoor activities.  Some of the best riding in the nation that havent been discovered by the masses, and we get to do it year round.  I always get a kick out of the "What do you do for winter storage" threads.

Again, be well, stay covered, and avoid those caffinated drinks!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 09:52:07 AM »
You guys stole our heat!  It was a cool 51 at 6 this morning, expecting a high of 68-70.  I roasted going home yesterday, it was 74 at 430 last eve.

All joking aside, stay hydrated, and best of luck on getting some relief.

+1...

I had my heated grips on the way to work yesterday morning, raining too much this morning so today I drove my truck to work, temp is supposed to get up to 70 today here...  :-\

PNW  :banghead:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 10:29:05 AM »
I'm a glass half full kinda guy, only way I would tolerate that kinda heat is by remembering what the guys/gals deployed are experiencing, complete with all equipment, and lots of things that go boom.  I lived in Savanah for 3 years and 3 years in Aberdeen MD, I dont understand how any of you stand the kinda weather you have.  I'll keep my rain and mostly mild year round weather.  I have snow withing a coupla hours and desert like 2 hours past that.  We have a zoo aka Seattle for those who like the city life and lots of outdoor activities.  Some of the best riding in the nation that havent been discovered by the masses, and we get to do it year round.  I always get a kick out of the "What do you do for winter storage" threads.

Again, be well, stay covered, and avoid those caffinated drinks!

I'm with you there, things can always get worse. And wait, they did. The AC in my building is down and we're up to 96 with an index of 115.

The hvac guys are on it though, they're union, so there'll be one guy working on it while 3 or 4 stand around and watch.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 01:27:04 PM »
Visited SE PA this weekend for a job interview.  Beautiful and the low 90's felt like a cool front after SW OK!  ANd it actually cools down when the sun goes down.......unbelievable. ::)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »
Visited SE PA this weekend for a job interview.  Beautiful and the low 90's felt like a cool front after SW OK!  ANd it actually cools down when the sun goes down.......unbelievable. ::)

How'd the interview go? Good luck with it.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
It got up to 100° yesterday. According to the tick below it says it is already 101°. Humidity here is a little different this time around. In the morning it is very humid, but as the day wears on it is now 39% humidity, so it is going down later in the day.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »
Whoa! For the first time that I've seen it, my Weatherbug is showing a red 101 on my task bar. The index is 116, lovely.

At least the AC in my building is back up.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 06:12:03 AM »
Wow, we finally got some rain yesterday, a half inch. It was alien like man, I didn't know what to think  ;) There is still a chance over the next couple of days for somemore so hopefully it will happen.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »
They're predicting the index to be between 110 and 120 today, it's already 100. I changed my mind about riding today, if I had to I could but I don't have to...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »
They're predicting the index to be between 110 and 120 today, it's already 100. I changed my mind about riding today, if I had to I could but I don't have to...
Fairweather rider, eh? ;)
Our weather forecast is for a high of 68 and a chance of sunbreaks.  I'll be on the East side of the State next week, lots of sun, temps in the mid 80's, low humidity, and a nice cooling breeze.  I'll take a dip down in the lake to help cool down ;D
I just cant help but wonder why so many live in regions that are so extreme in the weather department, if it aint heat, it's snow, if it aint snow, it's wind and all the things that go with it.  We have rain.  I'll keep it over all the rest.
Be well folks, fall is just around the corner,

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 09:21:04 AM »
Fairweather rider, eh? ;)
Our weather forecast is for a high of 68 and a chance of sunbreaks.  I'll be on the East side of the State next week, lots of sun, temps in the mid 80's, low humidity, and a nice cooling breeze.  I'll take a dip down in the lake to help cool down ;D
I just cant help but wonder why so many live in regions that are so extreme in the weather department, if it aint heat, it's snow, if it aint snow, it's wind and all the things that go with it.  We have rain.  I'll keep it over all the rest.
Be well folks, fall is just around the corner,

Yeah, that's me a fair weather rider.   8)  I have to be near Chicago this afternoon, if it wasn't for the stop and go traffic that I know I'm going to hit on the way back, I would have ridden the bike. I didn't relish the thought of sitting at all those stop lights with the fans kicking on while I bake in my jacket and helmet.

I can't speak for the rest of the guys but I stay here cuz it's where my job and my family are. I love the changing of the seasons and in the winter, it's time to get the sleds out!

Warming up nicely out there, 92 with an index of 105. Rather balmy.

Bring on the fall!